Restaurant Help

jty1220

We are looking for a restaurant to eat dinner at during our stop. We are not a fan of the chain places like Sr. Frogs and wanted to see what others have done? We would like something local and something semi close so we could take a cab back to port.

Thanks

By dinner do you mean an evening meal? As in you are in port until 10PM or so? Or do you mean dinner, in the old fashion sense as in biggest meal of the day, usually early afternoon?

There are a number of threads on this board regarding places to eat away from the cruise piers i f you are eating lunch or during th eday and leaving Cozumel between 4 and 6 PM.

For evening meals, there are a couple of nice places in San Miguel that are open primarily for dinner service and cater to locals and longer staying vacationeers. Kinta's on Calle 2/4 and Avenida 5 just north of the plaza has excellent food prepared in with a modern twist on Yucatan style cooking.

La Cocay, is the high end gourmet stop on Cozumel. At Calle 8 and Avenida 10/15, they prepare fine food in a Mediterrean style.

Casa Mission, on Avenida 55 and Calle 1 Sur is the main place for a family owned restaurant business and has been seving excellent Mexican/ Yucatan food for years in a garden setting.

Especias, on the south side of the plaza , upstairs, is a small more romatic spot with good guitar and local music on some evenings. Opens after 6PM.

All of these are a short taxi ride from the cruise piers.

Really doesn't leave many options. You didn't say which ship you'll be on, which US port you'll be departing from or at which pier you may be docking. Many ships leaving US Easte Coast ports stay on Eastern time, so that means you'll be leaving Cozumel at 6PM Coz time. And you're 4:30 is island 3:30, just after the main comidas time for most local places.

Of course if you're sailing out of Gavelston or New Orleans 7PM ship is 7Pm Coz time too. But nevertheless, 4:30 is between most local places meals, so you'll have to focus on places that cater more to cruiser traffic.

I would have suggested La Mission, at the SW corner of the downtown Plaza, but I hear it closed recently. There's Pancho's Backyard, just north of the Plaza downtown or at the Puerta Maya pier. Reasonably good standard American-Mexican fare (chile rellenos are delicious) and strong margaritas. Casa Denis just east of the Plaza downtown, and one of the oldest restaurants in San Miguel, serving good Yucatan style dishes might still be open.

There are a couple of posters on this board who live on the island and they may chime in with recommendations for the late afternoon dining.

DW and I will be in Cozumel on the Grandeur OTS next March 2014. I use a power wheelchair and would like to have a mexican meal ... does anyone know of a restaurant near the International dock where we can go WITHOUT a taxi ride? Any suggestions are welcome!

Rebeca and Herb: ;) :confused:

DW and I will be in Cozumel on the Grandeur OTS next March 2014. I use a power wheelchair and would like to have a mexican meal ... does anyone know of a restaurant near the International dock where we can go WITHOUT a taxi ride? Any suggestions are welcome!

Rebeca and Herb: ;) :confused:

There is a junior senior frogs at the International Pier. Some one recently (maybe 6 months back), mentioned a new smaller branch of Pancho's Back yard was opening there too. There are a couple of places across the street from the pier. If there's not a PB at the pier, ther eis a fuller size Los Cinco Soles/ Pancho's Backyard with patio and sandy beach views at Puerta Maya Pier. Depending on how much power/time your chair gives you, PM is about a 1/4 mile down the road. It's a 5-10 minute stroll for walkers. Flat sidewalks all the way and you don't need a ship id to get into the shopping area at PM. Los Cincos Soles is just inside the main entrance on your right.

There is a junior senior frogs at the International Pier. Some one recently (maybe 6 months back), mentioned a new smaller branch of Pancho's Back yard was opening there too. There are a couple of places across the street from the pier. If there's not a PB at the pier, ther eis a fuller size Los Cinco Soles/ Pancho's Backyard with patio and sandy beach views at Puerta Maya Pier. Depending on how much power/time your chair gives you, PM is about a 1/4 mile down the road. It's a 5-10 minute stroll for walkers. Flat sidewalks all the way and you don't need a ship id to get into the shopping area at PM. Los Cincos Soles is just inside the main entrance on your right.

CREWSWEEPER: Thank you for all your help and information here and in the other threads ... I really appreciate it.

Herb :confused: