Best authentic restaurants!

OceanLover404

I'm leaving in just three days (:eek:) for my cruise to Cozumel and Belize. I've chosen to snorkel at the Palancar, Colombia, and El Cielo reefs. This, however, will only be about 3 or 4 hours. Something I look forward to the most when I travel is FOOD! I love trying food in new places, especially food that isn't Americanized.

So, I'd love to hear what some of your favorite restaurants are in Cozumel! I don't care about places like C&C, I'm looking for reasonable and authentic restaurants. (If they have good drinks, even better! :p)

Are you on your own or with a group? Since you're down south, if you're coming ashore at Punta Sur, then just head out the park gates and go straight to Paradise Beach Bar,aka Rasta's, Bob Marley's (not to be confused with Paradise Beach Club on the West side). You can't miss it. Some of the best ceviche on the island. Or head on up the east side to Playa Bonita or Chen Rio for good local sea food.

If you're going back to downtown, look for some of the loncherias or places that say Cocina Economica. Be advised that many of these close early (2PM or 3PM local). Ask your excursion provider. (Eagle Ray Divers has a good list of places, for example). Some names...Las Flamitas on Avenida 25 Sur; Sabores on Avenida 5 just south of the main plaza; Tonitos on Rosado Salas between Avenidas 5 and 10; Casa Denis just east of the Plaza (oldest restaurant in San Miguel); or the El Mercado which has several smaller places. Las Otates tacqueria, on Avenida 15 and Rosado Salas is another option, but they are always open for lunch, depends on the season.

If you're doing a 3 reef snorkel and El Cielo, who did you book with? We just did this tour last week (there on a land vacation). There was a family from the Carnival Triumph with us, and it got kind of complicated time-wise.

They were told to meet at Marti Dive Shop right across from the pier at 9:30. Well the ship was from Galveston and was an hour earlier than land time, so when they arrived it was around 7:30 island time and they got off the ship at 8:30 island time (9:30 ship time). Meanwhile we were told to meet at 9:30, so we were there at 9:30 island time.

They ended up getting in contact with the tour company, who ended up taking them out earlier and took them to the first snorkel spot. We were taken by water taxi to meet up with them, even though we weren't late.

The 4 1/2 hour tour brought us up to 2pm island time, which was 3pm ship time, and I believe they were supposed to be back on board at 3pm (ship time). They ended up having to take the Carnival family to the nearest dock and then by cab to the cruise port, since that was faster than by boat. We have since talked to the family and they told us they were nearly the last people on the ship and barely made it back. They would not have made it if they stayed on the snorkel boat, as we docked right next to the cruise dock and the Triumph left within 5 minutes of our arrival.

So basically, to make a long story short, depending on the ship schedule you may not have enough time to snorkel and eat at a restaurant. El Cielo is a long ways from the cruise port, but probably the most beautiful place I've been to in all my life!