Triumph: Just back 7/30

justloud

Embarking: This was great. We got to the dock at 10:30 am and were able to board at 11:30. Gave our luggage to the porters, pre checked in the sat for about 45 minutes. The went thru the detectors, no one even looked in any bags, not even my cooler. Then picked up sail and sign cards. Pictures taken and then got on the ship. Some of the rooms were ready others were not but the stewards did let you put your carry ons in reguardless. Watched the ship sail by the Statue of Liberty. By then the bags were outside the cabin doors and it was time to get ready for dinner.

First nights dinner was the best, after that the food was for the most part good. Our waiter Mario had only been on the ship for 2 weeks and I think he was still getting used to it, others had waiters that were very entertaining. My children loved Ricardo the maitre d. We ate in the London dinning room, early dinner, 6:15pm. They had dancing from the 2nd evening on.

We had an inside cabin. There was plenty of room for two people. The bathroom was larger that I expected and it had a large counter area and large corner medicine cabinet. A shelf also ran under the sink. There was shower gel and shampoo in dispencers in the shower. A hair dryer is also there but it is not at all powerful so bring your own. There were 3 closets, one with a safe and plenty of hangers. 3 draws were in the room and a cabinet with 2 shelves. Only one outlet so it you have a curling iron and a camera to charge, BRING A POWER STRIP. The beds are all new and very comfortable though I wish I brought my own feather pillow. We left the bathroom light on , the light shone under the door was enough in the middle of the night to see with, so no night light needed by us, but I would definately bring a clock that lights up, the time on our TV was 1 1/2 hours off.

Our children were in the next room alone and carnival knew that and it was not a problem.

Your sail and sign card is your room key.

There are 4 washers and dryers on every deck and an ironing board in each laundry room. Ice machines are not on the main deck but I did notice them on decks 6 and above.

There is a forward outside deck that is accecible from level 6 all the way forward and is a great place to go to watch for porpose. We saw some:p. I only wish I found this deck day 1, I found it day 4.

The shows were good. I thought the Magic show was GREAT!!! Though the midnight adults only magic show was not very good. We enjoyed the late night comedy on the 5th night.

Bingo was a big rip off, I think it was fixed. They take 1 hr to sell cards, then realize they are running late in the room and call 10 numbers and someone wins a six pack. Unbelievable. Thay cost me forty bucks.

We thought they could have done more activities around the pool. They would do just one and the rest of they dat a regge band played, not I like regge but for 8 hrs strait.

The NEW YORK DELI is the best, I never ate at the Hong Kong place but my husband and kids loved that too.

Endless ice cream, the best words you can say to an 11 year old.

Soda cards were 20 bucks a peice plus tip. $69.00 for 3 cards.

The game room change machine will take bills as well as sail and sign.

The teen program was excellent, my 15 year old son had more fun and met more people than anyone and we were wtih 33 people.

The program for the younger set was also very good though my 11 year old wanted to do the 12 to 14 year old stuff and was thrilled when he finally passed as a 12 year old.

glad you had a great time on your cruise! we sailed the triumph twice and had a good time both sailings. we found the front of the ship on our second cruise. It was so windy up there when we went,it was like being in a tornado. need less to say we didn't stay out there for long. we could get there from deck 7. again glad to hear you had a great time.

The weather:

Fun day at sea #1 was foggy, foggy foggy, but warm. You could not see the ocean but you could see on the ship. We sat in deck chairs and got color. The kids did go in the pool and loved the hot tubs, that is where they spent most of their time.

St. John was COLD nas FOGGY. We all needed jeans and jackets. We rented a car and drove to St. Martin and the Bay of Fundy drive. That was amazing. it was low tide so we got to walk out into the bay and explore caves. Well worth seeing. The Bay of Fundy drive was thru a national park, about 6 mile long and cost $10.00 canadian, they did take US money and would have been spectacular it it was not so foggy. The city as people have written is under major construction, though everyone we met was more than helpful. Getting back on the ship there were very long lines.

We had very rough seas on the trip from St. John to Halifax, big waves and you were not allowed on some outside decks.

In Halifax the weather was much better, sunny and in the 70s. I wore shores. Get off the ship on deck one, no lines. Again we rented a car and drove to Peggy's Cove, which also is an amazing site but very crowded. We did not stay very long and drove along the coast and had lunch the returned the car and went to the Atlantic Sea museum. Then walked back to the ship. No lines getting back on.

2nd fun day at sea was clear and sunny but very windy and that made it cold. Sat at the pool all wrapped up. My kids still went down the slide which was freezing and lived in the hot tub.

Debarking: We were in dock in NY by 7 - 7:30 am This was a little harder. We chose to wait in the Rome loung along with alot of others. They don't let anyone off until they have accounted for all non US residents and thet looked for Maria Rivera for a long time. My sister ahd an 11 am flight to Dallas and she was one of the first ones waiting at the door and she was there till after 9am. We had to wait =on a long line to get off and then were told the 3rd floor level was closed and needed to go to the main level. We were off by 10:45 am. Pick up luggage according to floor. No one even looked at our ID. No wonder terrorists are getting in the country. All we did was hand in our slip for what we were claiming, and we walked into NY no questions asked so buy as much duty free as you want.

I bought the magnetic paper to make signs for the 33 people I was with and the doors are not metal but above them were and everyone who went by though it was a great idea.

All in alll we had a fantastic time and would go again.

We did go to meet the other Cruise Critic people the first day on and every one was great! I know Dave had a bad experience and I feel bad for that but I think Tammy and her husband ( Happy 10th)and Dianne with her husband and girls and all the others had a good time.

I can't wait to go again. :D:D:D:D

Just one more thing: If you are walking on the track please keep to the outside so the joggers can pass on the left. There were more people who did not understand that the track was one way and not an area to bring 3 year olds. People who are running find it difficult to manuver around those who are up there just for the view, it can be dangerous and someone can get hurt. Just be aware of what is going on around you at all times.

Great review justloud.

I am taking this cruise on the 13th and was wondering what car rental companies are near the cruise terminal in both ports and how much do rentals cost.

Thanks.

We rented from enterprize and they will pick you up at the peir but you need to call them. I would call any car company location in the cities to book. In St. John no companies at the dock, but Avis I think was the closest to walk to. In Halifax Hertz and Enterprise had booths. We paid about $38 for a car in St. John. The gas was expensive. We paid about $70 for a car in Halifax. Way better for a car to Peggys cove than an excursion for a family of 5.

Have a great time.:)

justloud, we are on the 8/13 Triumph. Quick question, how long a drive is it to Bay of Fundy from pier? I always worry about making it back in time.

Thanks...

The ride was about 45 minutes on a sigle lane road. Well worth it if it is low tide.

Great review justloud.

I am taking this cruise on the 13th and was wondering what car rental companies are near the cruise terminal in both ports and how much do rentals cost.

Thanks.

In St John, walk off the ship out to the sidewalk and turn left and walk about 500 feet. Avis is on your right hand side of the street. Very reasonable. Gas is approx $1.02 Per liter - about $4.00 a gallon.

In Halifax - there are 2 rental agencies right in the terminal - Hertz & Enterprise. They are very reasonable also. There is also an Avis on Grafton St - They will come and pick you up and then bring you back and that's the way we went. They will call Avis for you at the info booth in the terminal.

thanks so much for the positive review, i just read a posting regarding poor sanitation on triumph on a recent cruise and was starting to panic. We are leaving monday and I just can't wait anymore. So happy you had a great time, did you hear anything about the "hopper" tour in halifax? a friend just came back from a Royal Carribean cruise to canada and recommended it? Were you sea sick during the rough water? thanks in advance for the info

thanks so much for the positive review, i just read a posting regarding poor sanitation on triumph on a recent cruise and was starting to panic. We are leaving monday and I just can't wait anymore. So happy you had a great time, did you hear anything about the "hopper" tour in halifax? a friend just came back from a Royal Carribean cruise to canada and recommended it? Were you sea sick during the rough water? thanks in advance for the info

My brother, his wife and 2 kids 10 and 13 went on the hopper and liked it.

Archived