Directions to Cape Liberty/Bayonne Bridge

Nana57

We used to take the BQE to the Verrazano Bridge thru Staten Island to Route 440. Due to the Bayonne Bridge closure are there signs after the Verrazano Bridge directing us to Port Cape Liberty? We are coming from Queens.

We used to take the BQE to the Verrazano Bridge thru Staten Island to Route 440. Due to the Bayonne Bridge closure are there signs after the Verrazano Bridge directing us to Port Cape Liberty? We are coming from Queens.

I have no idea if they have marked a detour when the Bayonne Bridge is closed. Don't hold your breath. You just stay on I278 west to the Goethals Bridge and get on the NJTurnpike North to exit 14-14A-14B-14C and follow the signs to exit 14A.

Directions from NJ Turnpike Exit 14A into Cape Liberty

The ramp is straight across the toll plaza. Here's a video. No real street signs.

Please print out my directions. Others have followed them successfully. The signage is poor. When you come through the toll plaza there are lots of choices and you have to make a quick decision as to where you are going. For a first timer there's not time to stop and try to spot the correct little sign and I'm not sure the names of all the streets are clearly marked. GPS is notoriously bad in this area.

After you pay your toll you go straight across the toll plaza and get on a 2 lane ramp that goes up and curves left. This is hard to miss. On the ramp you stay on the right and make the first right, stay to the right and make another right. You will come to the light at route 440 where you will make a left, stay left, and make a left at the first light onto Goldsborough Drive.

Route 440 is a four lane divided highway. You can only turn left at a traffic light - going south the first light is now at Goldsborough Drive. The left turn into the port used to be at Port Terminal Blvd (and it still is coming the other way), but they shut down that turn fairly recently and made Goldsborough Drive the main port access road coming from the north. Goldsborough Drive will merge with Port Terminal Blvd. You will be able to see the ship and you just follow the crowd about 2 miles out to the ship.

Are you coming from Boston? Because I'm coming from Queens, NY.

I am coming from Boston. You asked if there would be signs posted for Cape Liberty coming across the Verazzano Bridge and I gave you the directions coming that way. There is another current thread that discusses various suggestions for routes through Manhattan to get to NJ and then on to Cape Liberty.