Sugar Shack - Quebec City

stan1

Celebrity Constellation offers an evening at the "Sugar Shack" which explains maple sugar production, has an 'all you can eat' Qubesc dinner and some kind of show. I was unable to locate anything about this on the Quebec City website or anywhere else. Has anyone taken this evening excursion and if so, what is it like? Some Cruise Ship shore excursions at night are not very good (poor food, bad show, overpriced), and some excellent. The ship excursion staff usually says they are all wonderful. Anyone with inforation/ Thanks.

Stan

We went to a wonderful Sugar Shack when we were in Quebec City for the Carnaval in February (yes, it was 6 below zero and we still loved it!). It was out on Ile d'Orlean: http://www.quebecweb.com/boisjoli/introang.html. Only thing you will miss that we loved was the snow taffy:) unless they have a very very early snowfall

If you want some really good Quebeocois cooking "in town" head for the Ancient Canadian... IMHO their fixed price "before 5:00 pm" menu can't be beat... the traditional meat pie for entree and maple sugar pie for dessert (other things as well... those are my favs)

• 2 weeks later...
We went to a wonderful Sugar Shack when we were in Quebec City for the Carnaval in February (yes, it was 6 below zero and we still loved it!). It was out on Ile d'Orlean: http://www.quebecweb.com/boisjoli/introang.html. Only thing you will miss that we loved was the snow taffy:) unless they have a very very early snowfall

If you want some really good Quebeocois cooking "in town" head for the Ancient Canadian... IMHO their fixed price "before 5:00 pm" menu can't be beat... the traditional meat pie for entree and maple sugar pie for dessert (other things as well... those are my favs)

As interesting as this sounds, it is probably not a place to take my diabetic wife. (NG) Any other suggestions for dining in Quebec City? We are staying at the Chateau Frontenac and understand there are a lot of nice restaurants and cafes near there. Not that this is a priority as we will be embarking on a 12 day Sea Princess cruise after the two nights spent in Qubec City.

Frank-in-CA

Chateau Frontinac, beautiful hotel stayed there when we go to QC from Montreal, a lot of nice restos around, try a cheese fondue maybe, there used to be a resto within walking distance that made a good one, ask the conceierge for a recommendation. Other than that, some nice good italian restaurants. You will have large selection staying at the Chateau.

As interesting as this sounds, it is probably not a place to take my diabetic wife. (NG) Any other suggestions for dining in Quebec City? We are staying at the Chateau Frontenac and understand there are a lot of nice restaurants and cafes near there. Not that this is a priority as we will be embarking on a 12 day Sea Princess cruise after the two nights spent in Qubec City.

Frank-in-CA

I live in Quebec city (born here) and one of our favorite restaurants is "Le Café du Monde" right next to the pier where cruise ships docks. Click here for a direct link to their web site.

Of course, there are many many great restaurants in the old town near Le Château Frontenac. By the way, if you have any questions about what to do / see around our beautiful city, do not hesitate to ask. I'll do my best to help.

You will be on the Sea Princess (sailed on her in 2000... great ship !). When do you embark ? Is it on the Oct. 5th cruise or the Oct. 25th cruise ? Maybe we can meet on the pier before you board the ship... I'll be there for sure !

Alain R.

Quebec city.

Celebrity Constellation offers an evening at the "Sugar Shack" which explains maple sugar production, has an 'all you can eat' Qubesc dinner and some kind of show. I was unable to locate anything about this on the Quebec City website or anywhere else. Has anyone taken this evening excursion and if so, what is it like? Some Cruise Ship shore excursions at night are not very good (poor food, bad show, overpriced), and some excellent. The ship excursion staff usually says they are all wonderful. Anyone with inforation/ Thanks.

Stan

We did a similar excursion on Royal Caribbean in 2003. The information on the maple sugar production covered many different production techniques right up to how they maintain the taps today. After seeing the maple production and having the opportunity to purchase maple syrup, ...., we went to the dining hall.

The food was okay but a little heavy, the "show" was mostly Acadian-style music (think Cajun) by 2 guys playing fiddle and guitar, singing and keeping a "drumbeat" with their feet on a raised wood platform. The "hostess" would also play the wooden spoon. e were given the opportunity to learn some folk dances and play along with wooden spoons. We were with a fun group of people, so we had a good time. If the group doesn't participate and "get in the spirit," this excursion would not have been nearly as much fun.

I live in Quebec city (born here) and one of our favorite restaurants is "Le Café du Monde" right next to the pier where cruise ships docks. Click here for a direct link to their web site.

Of course, there are many many great restaurants in the old town near Le Château Frontenac. By the way, if you have any questions about what to do / see around our beautiful city, do not hesitate to ask. I'll do my best to help.

You will be on the Sea Princess (sailed on her in 2000... great ship !). When do you embark ? Is it on the Oct. 5th cruise or the Oct. 25th cruise ? Maybe we can meet on the pier before you board the ship... I'll be there for sure !

Alain:

Thanks for the information on "Le Cafe du Monde". I looked at their web site but they didn't show any prices. I expect they are expensive, correct?

We and 3 other couples are on the October 24th sailing of the Sea Princess. We are taking two tours, #2 & #4 listed at http://www.quebec-tours.com/

Frank

• 2 weeks later...
Alain:

Thanks for the information on "Le Cafe du Monde". I looked at their web site but they didn't show any prices. I expect they are expensive, correct?

Frank

Well, it depends on your definition of "expensive"... Let's suppose you have a drink before your meal (like a beer, a Martini or something like that), then your main course (with a bottle of wine) and a special coffee or digestive... You can expect to pay between 75$ to 100$ Can. per couple. I don't find it too expensive. It's not cheap but you will find many more restaurants that are way more expensive than that... believe me.

Alain R.

Alain

We are in Quebec City on NCL Jewel 26th October and then returning to Montreal and then Quebec City from 1st to 9th November. We'd welcome any ideas for sightseeing. Our daughter is studying French at Laval university. She arrived at the end of August and comes back to England just before Christmas. We plan to meet her for the day when we're on the Jewel so we can walk around the town together and then she is meeting us in Montreal after the cruise.

Elaine

Hi Elaine !

Since your daughter is already here, I'm sure she knows many good places to see and visit... Well, as a student, she probably knows where the good bars are in town ! :D

Seriously, I have posted many links in different threads in the Canada forums. In these links, you should be abble to find many answers about what to do and what to see around here.

To find these posts, do the following:

1. Click on the "Search" option in the menu bar of the Cruise Critic page;

2. Write "AlainBob" in the "Search by user name" section;

3. Just under that, there is a section where you can select on or more forums. Scroll down to the "Canada" forum and then click the "Search now" button.

You should find 8 threads (well, 7 other than this one) where I have posted some answers and inserted links.

Hope these helps. Feel free to ask any questions that comes in mind...

Alain R.

Quebec city

Well, it depends on your definition of "expensive"... Let's suppose you have a drink before your meal (like a beer, a Martini or something like that), then your main course (with a bottle of wine) and a special coffee or digestive... You can expect to pay between 75$ to 100$ Can. per couple. I don't find it too expensive. It's not cheap but you will find many more restaurants that are way more expensive than that... believe me.

Alain R.

That does sound reasonable for a nice restaurant. Thanks.

Frank

Archived