Info & Ideas for Snorkeling in Aruba

Arubalisa

The website shorediving.com does just a fantastic job of describing and mapping out the different spots you are able to snorkel from. Yes, I know the title says "diving" but if you read the reviews of each "dive" spot, though the website is for "shore dives" there are many many comments about snorkeling these sites as well.

Some of my personal favs:

Catalina Cove (just north of Boca Catalina)

Boca Catalina (shade palapas)

Malmok Beach (rocky)

De Palm Slope (on De Palm Island, thus not free)

Mangel Halto Reef (aka Spanish Lagoon)

Baby Beach Reef (the furthest taxi ride, thus more expensive to get to...)

thanks for this information. of the sites you have listed, which would you say would be the best for advanced snorkelers? as well, if possible the site that has the least crowds. we are very excited about our trip in two weeks... we spent a week in Curacao in December, and i have heard many great things about Aruba.

thanks!

Boca Catalina & Catalina Cove are next to one another. The little sand beach at Malmok is tiny, so not a lot of people. If my memory serves me correctly, this spot is also a little further away from where the sail/snorkel excursions anchor.

Please avoid any beaches on the east side of the island or #1 Shallow Reef. My husband and I are both divers and diving in NJ have seen some rough conditions, but these waters on that side of the island are just treacherous.

• 1 month later...

Just a follow up from our snorkeling day in Aruba. We intended on going to Malmok, Boca Catalina & Catalina Cove. We got a bit confused because they are all close together, and no real signs indicating each beach (we should have asked someone!). Ended up going to Boca Catalina & Catalina Cove, and did not find Malmok until late in the day . . . and didn't snorkel here. In my opinion, Boca Catalina & Catalina Cove were just average, but we ran into someone who had snorkelled Malmok and said it was very good.

Malmok is very tiny ... and easy to miss. We will be in Aruba in November and intend to try again!

On the positive side, we loved Aruba, and had the most amazing snorkeling experience. At Boca Catalina we went off to the far left (south) over the grassy area and saw a huge sea turle only a few feet away. An unforgettable experience.

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Arubalisa,

Holland american is not offering the snorkel to the antilla wreck on our cruise next month. what excursion do you recommend to take a boat trip to the wreck site? are they near the ship dock or how do you get to them? thanks in advance for this info

Arubalisa,

Holland american is not offering the snorkel to the antilla wreck on our cruise next month. what excursion do you recommend to take a boat trip to the wreck site? are they near the ship dock or how do you get to them? thanks in advance for this info

xsteves, you may want to try http://www.octopusaruba.com/ I believe at least one of their trips goes to the Antilla. Email them and ask about the specific day you will be on the island.

Let me add though that the Antilla is a great dive, but at it's depth, not the greatest snorkel in the world. Aruba has reefs which are much shallower and provide a better opportunity for creature sightings. :)

The Octopus departs from the beach between the Holiday Inn and Playa Linda Resort. From the pier, you can take a taxi or bus to this location.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
:) Forget the taxi @ $35, take the bus $1.00 each way, all the way to the Califorina Lighthouse!

Hi North Carolina Cruiser, Saw this post while checking returned cruise mates for valuable info. We will be in New Orleans in April on the Grandeur and was wondering if you could give more info for the $1.00 bus in Aruba.

Do we catch it at the pier where we dock? Is there a name?

Do we get off at a certain place or does it make a few stops?

Do we pay each time we board the bus? (not that $1.00 would be a problem lol)

Does the bus post a time chart/sign so we know when it may be by our stop again after getting off somewhere?

Hope it's not tooooo many ???? :D

I would like to copy your reply to the Royal Caribbean Meet & Mingle, Grandeur of the Seas 4-28-2007 sailing member site if that's alright with you as lots of members should be interested in your info. (that is if I can do it, not sure how) Thanks in advance for your time.

Hi North Carolina Cruiser, Saw this post while checking returned cruise mates for valuable info. We will be in New Orleans in April on the Grandeur and was wondering if you could give more info for the $1.00 bus in Aruba.

Do we catch it at the pier where we dock? Is there a name?

Do we get off at a certain place or does it make a few stops?

Do we pay each time we board the bus? (not that $1.00 would be a problem lol)

Does the bus post a time chart/sign so we know when it may be by our stop again after getting off somewhere?

Hope it's not tooooo many ???? :D

I would like to copy your reply to the Royal Caribbean Meet & Mingle, Grandeur of the Seas 4-28-2007 sailing member site if that's alright with you as lots of members should be interested in your info. (that is if I can do it, not sure how) Thanks in advance for your time.

Arubus information and schedules

Public buses are always an option!

Lots more info at the Aruba forum.

we were in aruba last year and had a great time snorkling at baby beach.

we rented a car for the day from Avis right at the port. Price was $ 30.00 and we were able to do some sightseeing on our own in the afternoon

Arubalisa,

The Antilla wreck is an excellent snorkel. I've never seen so many fish - there were Jillions of them.:p

Jolly Pirates stops at the Antilla. It is a large pirate type boat and is often crowded, but it is NOT a booze cruise. They staff on board is first rate and very attentive. During the lunch stop you can do the rope swing or just swim.

The pirate theme is kinda corny, but this is a fun trip and a good wreck snorkel, too.

http://www.jollypirates.com/main.htm

The Antilla wreck is an excellent snorkel. I've never seen so many fish - there were Jillions of them.:p

Jolly Pirates stops at the Antilla. It is a large pirate type boat and is often crowded, but it is NOT a booze cruise. They staff on board is first rate and very attentive. During the lunch stop you can do the rope swing or just swim.

The pirate theme is kinda corny, but this is a fun trip and a good wreck snorkel, too.

http://www.jollypirates.com/main.htm

Stevesan, there are a couple of people on the Aruba Forum looking for updated information on the Jolly Pirates (Myself included). Wonder if you could check it out and possibly respond to questions there. (There are no RECENT reviews of the Jolly Pirates trips.) Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...

We rented a Ford Escape for $100 per day. We got it at 10AM and had to bring it back by 6PM. The rental company was right as you get off the ship. We drove all the way around Aruba, stopping at all the tourist spots. We ended up snorkeling at Baby Beach, it was awesome. If you go, bring cereal or dog biscuits and the fish will eat out of your hand!!! There is also a decent snackbar there, with good hotdogs and burgers. If you have alot of time, rent a car, its well worth it. Aruba is a small island and its hard to get lost. (get a map)

Archived