QM2 November 18th 2006

legospice

Anyone joining us on this delayed 11 nov crossing to Fort Lauderdale.

Had a thread going for the 11th but i thought id start a new one for the new dates for everyone whos still going and for all the newcomers.

Let me start- Im Donna and will be travelling with my mother Cathie on this crossing, we are from Stirling, Scotland. This will be our second Cunard cruise but our first time on the QM2.

Who's next

Anyone joining us on this delayed 11 nov crossing to Fort Lauderdale.

Had a thread going for the 11th but i thought id start a new one for the new dates for everyone whos still going and for all the newcomers.

Let me start- Im Donna and will be travelling with my mother Cathie on this crossing, we are from Stirling, Scotland. This will be our second Cunard cruise but our first time on the QM2.

Who's next

We're on QE2 mid NOv, but was just wondering if you were on QE2 in Apr 2003 travelling from Southampton to NYC, Caribbean and Bermuda. We met a lady on that cruise from Scotland who was travelling with her mum and I just thought it might be you. Have a wonderful QM2 trip.

we are also travelling on the 18th November, we are staying for a week after the cruise in florida, we had to chage all the hotels and flight when they chaged the dates. we are two couples from bristol

Hi chris123,

Welcome

We had a nightmare with the changes, but cunard, my travel agent and royal caribbean have been very patient with me, ive changed the flight home 3 times and they havent charged me extra, which i think is great. We were originally staying 2 nights in ft lauderedale, then going to miami for a four night bahamas cruise with royal caribean, then flying home but when they changed the QM2 date my mother couldnt change her holiday dates so we were just going to fly home and had to cancel the RC cruise (we should have lost our deposit for that but they said we could switch it to another cruise anytime). Now mother has decided to retire we had to change it again, so now we get of the QM2 and jump on to the radiance of the seas for a 8 night eastern caribbean and fly home on the 3rd December.

I cant wait to go on the QM2. Have you been on her before? We done a transatlantic on the QE2 and i really enjoyed that, im hoping the QM2 will be just as good if not better.

Donna

Hi Donna

We are also travelling with you on the 18th. I seem to remember corresponding with you before. Did you start a thread when we were supposed to sail on the 11th?

We will be staying on for the 2 week Carribbean cruise after the transatlantic crossing.

We were flexible as to the dates we were travelling but did have a problem with the cabin we had chosen. It wasn´t available for the last week but Cunard were extremely helpful and kindly sorted it out for us and managed to get it back for us. Apologies to whoever had that cabin but hopefully they got an upgrade out of it!

Mark & Steve

Hi Mark and Steve,

Yes we did have a thread going before the change of date, but i kinda lost it.

Thats good news that Cunard got your cabin back for you, i cant imagine what a hassel it would be to pack all your stuff up just to move to another cabin, at least i will be packing up to go on another ship. I have no idea how to get from one ship to the other but im hoping it wont be to much bother.

We are flying down the morning of the cruise, i couldnt manage the extra day of work to stay overnight in Southampton, so im just hoping everything is ok with the flights that day, i booked the first flight in the morning so at least if anything gets delayed there is still another flight to fall back on.

Yipee, we have rain, ive been praying for rain all week, i think the scottish summer is now over. Well gotta go to work, another busy day ahead, getting fed up with the world cup already and its only been a week. All i long for is to hear music in the bar when i work, the day goes so slow with the football.

Donna

My wife and I sailed transatlantic to NYC for our honeymoon last October and we'll be back this year for the crossing to Ft Lauderdale, only just booked yesterday.

We didn't get the free upgrade to the Princess Grill this year but nonetheless we can't wait. After the honeymoon we didn't think we'd scrape together the money to ever sail on the QM2 again but I'm glad those good folks at Cunard insist of sending us 'junk mail' with various offers!

You'll love it. I've been telling myself since October last year I'll write a full review but never seem to find the time ... I think the new booking will strengthen my resolve and I'll try and get something posted next week some time.

Welcome patch nelson,

So sorry to here you didnt get an upgrade this year, i take it you did for your honeymoon last year. No upgrade yet for us but i live in hope that the upgrade fairy will find me!!

We have been on the QE2 but this is our first on the QM2, what would you say was the best bits and the highlight of your crossing?

Donna

This thread has [finally] motivated me to do a full and in depth review of the crossing last year … so rather than spoil it, I’ll have to keep you on tenterhooks until I finish it off … which ought not to be too much longer.

We got the upgrade I presume because it was our honeymoon but this crossing falls about 2 months and a week outside our first anniversary so I reckon we’ve missed the boat, so to speak this time around!

Oh well, who want’s an open balcony and a transatlantic crossing anyway L

hi donna

l have never been on the Queen Mary l been on Royal Caribbean twice, what grade are you? are you upper class or steerage!!! l am on B5 they discribe this as a window in the hull,we are staying 8 days in floride first we will have to pay a visit to Sawgrass mills which is a massive outlet shops in Fort Lauderdale, have you ever been there?

Welcome

[hi donna

l have never been on the Queen Mary l been on Royal Caribbean twice, what grade are you? are you upper class or steerage!!! l am on B5 they discribe this as a window in the hull,we are staying 8 days in floride first we will have to pay a visit to Sawgrass mills which is a massive outlet shops in Fort Lauderdale, have you ever been there?

Welcome

]chris123

Hi all,

Chris123-steerage all the way!!! Love those inside cabins, nice and dark when i want an afternoon nap before the party starts again, never spend much time in it, except to sleep and get ready. The way i see it is, i could go on 2 cruises a year in a balcony/and or/suite or 4 cruises a year in an inside, its a no brainer, insides are the way to go. Im very jealous that you are going to sawgrass mills, being a shopaholic it kills me to be near such a wonder of the shopping world and not get to visit.

Patch Nelson-looking forward to your review from your last trip. I second the balcony comment.

Not alot happening here except rain, rain, rain and some double shifts at work, need to save the pennies for the holidays, although i do feel a shopping trip coming on, maybe on my day of on wednesday.

Donna

Donna:eek: ,

Hope you have a great cruise. l will be thinking of you as l sail round the med on QE2.... I guess we will both be paying a whole load more for this cruise than the past cruise;) , and l gather that saga with that still carries on!!!:rolleyes:

anyway hope all is well,

Myles

Hi Myles,

How the devil are you? Not long now till you get your 100 day pin, im so excited for you. I hope one day to get my 100 day pin as ive started saving for a world cruise, probably 2009, but only if the old girl is still doing it, dont fancy the single supplement on QM or QV.

The saga still goes on, we were the lucky ones, and what a fab time we had, if only the would do another deal like that.

Donna

Patch,

Brilliant review, brilliant photo's and brilliant news to here i wont be the youngest person on the ship. Im 36 when we sail and usually im the youngest onboard, i normally get a few odd looks and have been mistaken for crew several times, i even managed to get crew prices at a market at the port on our caribbean cruise in February, and crew prices in a bar in bermuda dockyard.

Sooohhhh jealous about the captains table, fingers crossed for november, lightning might strike twice. Quite a lot of cruise staff check these boards to see whos coming on etc. I got on a princess ship last year and an officer in the attrium said "good evening Donna" to me, well i nearly died, how did he know me, i had only been on the ship 20 seconds,it wasnt until about a week later he let me in on the secret, he had read my description here and my pink streaks were a giveaway.

Donna

I hope one day to get my 100 day pin as ive started saving for a world cruise, probably 2009, but only if the old girl is still doing it, dont fancy the single supplement

Donna , we could always share a cabin:eek: Now that could be fun !!!! Didnt realise that we are the same age!!!. the possibilities are endless

cheers

Hi Myles,

Sharing a cabin sounds like a sound idea to me, i would share a cabin with the devil if it meant a cheaper cruise!!!! ha ha. I travel mostly with my mother so as to get out of the single supplement thing but there are loads of places i want to go that she has no interest in, and to be quite frank im just to plain tight to pay double the price for the same cruise as someone else.

Do you still have my email, if not its myscreenname at tescodotnet

Have you not booked up for next year yet? Its not like you, you are normally waiting on bookings opening.

Donna

Just checking in, where is everybody. Had a busy week at work again, November seems such a long time away, hopefully it will pass quickly.

Just found out that BA has changed their luggage allowances and my flight to Southhampton has only a 23kg limit. Aaahhh how will i cope, i know its only 9kgs less but thats a lot of shoes and clothes. They will charge excess baggage on anything over 23kg, doesnt sound fair as when i booked the flight it was a 32kg limit, which was my reason for booking BA and not flybe(20 kgs limit but a lot cheaper). Shafted again i suppose.

Donna

Just found out that BA has changed their luggage allowances and my flight to Southhampton has only a 23kg limit. Aaahhh how will i cope, i know its only 9kgs less but thats a lot of shoes and clothes.

Hi Donna,

as one of these people who travels heavy check out the hand baggage allowance on the flights and get 1st in the que at checkin its amazing just how much some people carry as hand luggage!!

On "our" cruise the allowance was 25 Kgs for a week, how anybody else copes is beyond me, l was at 32kg and that was essentials, which is why l would never do another fly cruise!!! Give me a nice departure from Southampton any time !!

Spare a thought for me when l travel down In Oct, have already reserved the guards van for the luggage !!!!

cheers

Myles

Myles- talking of luggage, you still havent told me where you got "the suitcase". Please, please, please tell me. I want one, no, i neeeedddd one. If you dont tell me i'll scweem and scweem and scweem.

Donna

Donna,

Your post prompted me to check our baggage allowance on Virgin. We are allowed 2 bags at 23K each and are only allowed one carry on that must fit under the seat.

That's really inconvenient for you to have to limit to one bag, although on BA you can have two carry on's. Looks like you will be doing some creative packing. Cunard does provide baggage shipments via (I believe) DHL. You pay for it but it may be an alternative to not leaving things you really want to bring behind.

Good luck and have a great trip

Sue

Archived