thinking of booking RCI for first time..Help please

Hi. I have only done NCL before, and I am thinking about booking Enchanment of the Seas for a 5 day cruise in January. I had a few questions.

Room:

We are thinking of booking a royal family suite

1. what amenities do you get?

2. Is it big enough for 5 people

ship:

3. I would like some feedback on the ship

4. Information on the teen and kids programs?

NCL vs Royal Carribean

5. Do people actually get really dressed up for dinner?

6. What do you wear exactly; a gown and tuxedo?

7. Any option in dining?

8. What time do you have to eat?

9. if you can think of any other "BIG" differences. please tell me

Let me see what I can help you with. I don't have kids, so I can't help you with those comparisons sorry.

1. The Royal Family Suite gets you lots of room, 2 bedrooms and 2 bathrooms (big plus for anybody). Since Enchantment has a Concierge Lounge, you get access to that. The CL will have pastries in the morning, and will have a free drinks in the evening (kids are not allowed in the evenings), plus other amenities throughout the day. The Concierge can help you with special requests, getting priority waitlisting for things like spa appointments or Chops reservations if you can't get them yourselves. You also get priority embarkation, debarkation, and tendering with the suite. In addition, you get two cruise credits for Crown & Anchor (Royal Caribbean's loyalty program).

2. Definitely big enough for 5 people, it requires a minimum of 5 people to book, and holds up to 8 people.

3. Haven't been on the Enchantment itself, but there are some recent reviews floating around. They do have the bungee trampolines which look really cool.

4. As I said, I don't have kids so can't tell you about kids and teens, except that on every RCCL cruise I've been on the kids and teens have looked to be having a great time.

5. Do people get dressed up? The dress code is not optional, but not everybody follows it. Does everybody dress to the nines? Definitely not, and even those who do, usually don't every single night.

6. What do you wear? During the day, anything goes. For casual nights, for females, casual tops and skirts, capris, sundresses, etc. Guys khakis and polo shirts. No shorts and tank tops are allowed. Some people wear jeans, which is getting to be more and more common. Formal nights, you'll see everything from tuxedos and formal gowns, down to church clothes, and a few people in casual wear, which is frowned upon but not enforced. On shorter cruises, it is usually a mix of tuxedos/formal gowns and church clothes, with a little bit of casual mixed in. You don't have to really splurge out if you don't want to. The evening dress code only applies to the main dining room.

7. Options in dining: On Enchantment, your options are:

- Main dining room, which is open for breakfast, lunch (usually closed when in port), and dinner.

- Windjammer Buffet - breakfast, lunch, dinner, snacks

- Solarium Cafe - pizza, burgers, etc

- Cafe Lattetudes - specialty coffees (pay) and pastries

- Ben & Jerry's - pay ice cream (you can get soft serve ice cream in or around the Windjammer if you don't want to pay)

- Chops - specialty steak house restaurant, reservations recommended, charge is around $20 per person (varies per ship), age 13 and up only. Does have a dress code of smart casual (slightly nicer than casual, but not fancy).

- Room service - available 24/7, what is available depends on time of day. Had hot breakfasts, can order many of the items from the dinner menu in the main dining room through room service while the main dining room is open. No charge, but you should be prepared to tip in cash when delivered (small order $1 to $2, large order should tip more)

8. Time do you have to eat: the only set dining time is at dinner and in the main dining room only, everywhere else the times they are open is listed in the Compass and you can go when you want during the hours they are open. Your dinner time for the main dining room is either main (usually around 6:15) or late (usually around 8). If you find the time you are assigned to doesn't work for you, just talk to the maitre'd and if at all possible he will arrange for you to be moved to the other dining time. If you decide you don't want to eat in the main dining room for dinner, you don't have to. The Windjammer Buffet is much nicer and quieter at night during dinner hours if you decide you want to eat there instead of the main dining room any night.

Hope that if you decide to cruise her that you have a great time. I would recommend looking at reviews of people that have been her.

I notice you are going on the Pride of Hawaii this month, I hope you really enjoy her. Hawaii is beautiful.

Archived