Hollywood Sign - Directions....

Okay, hopefully this is okay to post...

Just wanted to start a thread for any Cruise Critic members out there who want to get the "insider" directions to the Hollywood Sign, before or after their cruise.

A few things...

First of all - bear in mind - this is a bit difficult to get to...

#1 It is a residential area, so be very respectful when driving around here.

#2 Be very careful driving, as it is all very narrow winding roads (and this is why Entertainment industry people live here, because it is difficult to navigate).

#3 I'm going to give a few viewpoints, and places to start using either (ideal) MapBlast, or MapQuest (not as good) to get from wherever you are staying or starting from in your pre or post cruise. I do recommend the public "dog park", as it's great pictures and views, and there are picnic tables and such if you are so inclined.

Specific details to follow...

CJW

Best view and area for pictures...

Here is the "dog park", great for pictures, and also there are park benches and things if you want to have a picnic (highly recommended)...

What you want to do is MapBlast or MapQuest (not as good) to...

3203 Canyon Lake Drive CA 90068

This will be right at the bottom of the hill, below the park.

Once you find this, then you just go up the hill a little way, and you get this great park, with great picture opportunities of the Hollywood Sign, and options for picnic tables in the park.

Again, this is a residential area, so be very repectful to the local residents.

CJW;)

HollywoodSign3203CanyonLakeDriveAbove.jpg.fc3da5690341dba5a3edb92380b597a8.jpg

You have too much time on your hands, Curt...

BTW, an easy alternative: Just go to Hollywood and Highland and bring a camera with a VERY GOOD ZOOM lens!

Bruin Steve - you crack me up in a good way - I keep wanting to answer you back in a lot of threads, because I think that we might have been "neighbors" at some point (although the timing may have been off).:p

Anyway, I don't have enough time on my hands:( ...

But I happen to have a cool unusual job, where I get to run around LA at least one day a week, and now that this new section of the board started up, I have a renewed interest in my hometown, and it's easy for me to take pictures and get details and areas while I'm "working".;)

My point of this thread though is not places (with a zoom lens) to get pictures of the Hollywood Sign, but everything I posted above, are places where someone could stand there, and get a great closeup of the Hollywood Sign right next to them in the background.

If anybody wants to do that, these are the best locations.

You can't get that from a zoom lens on Hollywood and Highland.

Just clarifying for anyone that wants great pictures of themselves standing in the closest proximity to the sign.

CJW

• 2 weeks later...

Here is just an example picture (from a Hollywood photo shoot) of the places that I am talking about...

(As far as getting the best and closest pictures you you or your friends and family as close as you can get to the Hollywood Sign)....

This is from a major magazine, and note that it is the exact same angle that I presented directions for before...

CJW:rolleyes:

HollywoodSignCJWPFcc.jpg.952370b7def5af32472372d488fca1cf.jpg

Best view and area for pictures...

Here is the "dog park", great for pictures, and also there are park benches and things if you want to have a picnic (highly recommended)...

What you want to do is MapBlast or MapQuest (not as good) to...

This will be right at the bottom of the hill, below the park.

Once you find this, then you just go up the hill a little way, and you get this great park, with great picture opportunities of the Hollywood Sign, and options for picnic tables in the park.

Again, this is a residential area, so be very repectful to the local residents.

CJW

Again, maybe easier...

Mapblast (or Mapquest) ideally, as Mapblast seems to work better for LA...

From where ever your starting point or hotel is...

Get to

http://losangeles.about.com/gi/dynamic/offsite.htm?zi=1/XJ&sdn=losangeles&zu=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.FordAmphitheatre.org

Ford Theater...

2580 Cahuenga Blvd., East, Hollywood, CA 90068

From where ever you are starting from in LA, Mapblast/Mapquest from your starting point to there...

Then Mapblast or Mapquest it to this:

You should find it no problem...

CJW

• 1 month later...

Hello CJW,

Just wanted to say a quick and big THANK YOU for these directions and many other posts I have referred to. We made our visit to LA recently. It was great and fun and exciting and lots more. A big highlight was the trip up these roads, seeing the houses and getting closer and closer to the sign. We would never have found it without you. Thanks again.

Hello CJW,

Just wanted to say a quick and big THANK YOU for these directions and many other posts I have referred to. We made our visit to LA recently. It was great and fun and exciting and lots more. A big highlight was the trip up these roads, seeing the houses and getting closer and closer to the sign. We would never have found it without you. Thanks again.

I second that. Thanks to all the folks here we accomplished a LOT in one full day of running around West LA, including The Chinese Theatre, closeups of the Sign, Hollywood Hills and Beverly Hills, Rodeo Drive and dinner at Gladstones at the intersection of Sunset Blvd and the PCH. I wil try to incorporate our closeup pic of the sign in another post. CJW saved the day with able assists from BruinSteve and the others.

• 3 years later...

Archived