Antarctica - Dec 1st from Ushuaia - Norwegian Coastal Voyage

Yoksel

I'm wondering if there's anyone here who's taking the same cruise to Antarctica?

Also, I would appreciate any suggestions from those who have been there. I've already read lots of articles about trips to Antarctica but real experience is always much better!

Thank you!

I am the week behind you on the other Hurtigruten ship, we should cross over in Drake passage! Try tripadviser there is a report of an NCV cruise there, Pbase for photos by Jahn Chardine (pro photographer)

We have done two back to back cruises to Antartica on the Marco Polo

in January 2004.

We had a superb time and one of the best holidays ever.

We actually did hit an iceberg-causing some damage.

Our first cruise was out to South Georgia and we had a wonderfull afternoon in splendid warm weather exploring the old whaling station at Grytviken. We went to Shackletons grave, memorial, church -where we played the organ, British post office and museum. The scenery and wildlife was resplandant. After South Georgia we went to the Antarctic peninsula where we made two landings.

The weather actually was very good with smooth seas.

We will go again but next time a much smaller ships as you can spend much longer ashore.

Kind regards

Tony.

in January 2004.

Our first cruise was out to South Georgia and we had a wonderfull afternoon in splendid warm weather exploring the old whaling station at Grytviken. We went to Shackletons grave, memorial, church -where we played the organ, British post office and museum. The scenery and wildlife was resplandant. After South Georgia we went to the Antarctic peninsula where we made two landings.

We will go again but next time a much smaller ships as you can spend much longer ashore.

Kind regards

Tony.

in January 2004.

Kind regards

Tony.

in January 2004.

Kind regards

Tony.

in January 2004.

Kind regards

Tony.

in January 2004.

Kind regards

Tony.

in January 2004.

Kind regards

Tony.

in January 2004.

Kind regards

Tony.

in January 2004.

Kind regards

Tony.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

My husband and I are considering this trip next January 2008. It is the only itinerary I've been able to find that takes in Antarctica and a stop at Torres del Paine and some of the Chilean fjords. My question is about the cabins. I want to select a cabin where I can snuggle :p with my husband on those cold nights but not pay for a suite. Did you have a chance to peek in the different cabins? On a scale of 1 - 10 how would you rate this cruise? How would you rate the hotels you were put in and the transfers from airport/hotel/bus/ship?

Thanks

Ramona

• 1 month later...
My husband and I are considering this trip next January 2008. It is the only itinerary I've been able to find that takes in Antarctica and a stop at Torres del Paine and some of the Chilean fjords. My question is about the cabins. I want to select a cabin where I can snuggle :p with my husband on those cold nights but not pay for a suite. Did you have a chance to peek in the different cabins? On a scale of 1 - 10 how would you rate this cruise? How would you rate the hotels you were put in and the transfers from airport/hotel/bus/ship?

Thanks

Ramona

Hi Ramona' date='

If you're still checking this thread...........

[img']http://boards.cruisecritic.com/images/icons/icon14.gif[/img] I traveled MS Nordkapp through Chilean Fjords and Antarctica 01/17/07-02/04/07

Fabulous fabulous trip - shipwreck and all............. would go again in a heartbeat!! Yes - we ran aground on Ravn Rock at Neptune's Bellows, the entrance to volcanic caldera Deception Island. Hurtigruten handled everything as best they could, although communication to passengers could have been better.

I am still waiting to hear what the compensation will be since I traveled with Vantage World Travel (www.vantagetravel.com) which did by far provide the best price for this Norwegian Coastal Voyages (Hurtigruten) trip. And the single passenger supplement was also much cheaper than what Hurtigruten had posted for the trip. We should be getting letters about the compensation from Vantage by the end of this week. Internet posted refunds by Hurtigruten indicated 50% refund to Nordkapp (the ship that ran aground) passengers and 100% refund to Nordnorge (the sister ship coming to our rescue) passengers. Not sure why the discrepancy since we were SHIPWRECKED afterall, having missed one full day of our Antarctica landings and never made our Argentinian land portion of the tour, but got back to Buenos Aires just in time to catch our returning flights home; Nordnorge missed I believe two days of landings - not much more than us - and while they were greatly inconvenienced and had their trip cut short........ we were the shipwrecked passengers. I was one of 112 who ended up sleeping on mattresses on the floor of the lectures halls in the bow, 4th deck. No sleep for three days since we traveled directly through the worst storm of the decade on the Drake right after being transferred aboard the Nordnorge. The normally 36 hour trip took 52 hours, sailing through 50-80 foot swells w/ 70 mph winds. Hopefully Vantage will provide adequate refund compensation to those of us who traveled with them.

Again, I stress that this was a trip of a lifetime and I urge anyone who is interested to make the trip!! Of course, Nordkapp is out of commission for the timebeing, but I understand that MS Fram will be taking her place on the Antarctica route next year in any event. And the Nordnorge was also excellent.

Anyway - the cabins aboard the Nordkapp or Nordnorge are all about the same, except for the limited number of suites (where the only queen beds are). I was a single passenger in a cabin on the 5th deck of the Nordkapp - excellent location since that is the "walking" deck and I was dead center on the starboard side, very close to the doors going outside.

There was plenty of room for me as a single passenger; twin beds; bathroom was small but adequate; one closet with two sides for hanging clothes; cubby shelves next to desk with large mirror. I've attached a couple of pictures.

It's a trip NOT to be missed!!! But an expedition, not a luxury cruise. You get to make lots of landings, etc. No night life, but movies and lectures. The hotels we stayed at in Santiago (Intercontinental) and Buenos Aires (PanAmericano) were fine, although the PanAmericano was a bit older and in need of refurbishing.

I am not well traveled so I can't say I'm in a position to rate anything - but the trip itself was outstanding; the hotels were quite comfortable; the ship was terrific; the transfers were fine; the expedition staff excellent; the local tour guides varied - some terrific (Torres del Paine was outstanding); if you're beginning in Santiago (which is what I would recommend) be sure to visit the Estancia Olga Terese outside Punta Arenas - an excellent optional tour. The winery tour outside of Santiago was also very good.

Hope this has been of come help.

Linda:o

026_24.jpg.95aae7a161b49538cfa538a21c822580.jpg

025_23.jpg.87df18b6dc013411870bc897914a1ece.jpg

Hi Linda, good to hear from someone on the Nordkapp at the time of the grounding. I have been looking at most cruise boards & no one seems to have posted. There was one sensationalised account from a passenger in a UK newspaper, guess he was trying to up the compensation package! Glad you enjoyed the trip in spite of the accident. It is a superb experience & like you I would go again if the chance arose. I see you have seen my long review of my Dec trip on Nordkapp posted on South America board. That has links to my photos on webshots, have you posted any photos on the web of your trip?

Hi Linda, My husband and I were on the Nordnorge. We, as well as our fellow passengers, were also surprised by the different rates of compensation by Hurtigruten. We all felt so sorry for the "refugees" from the Nordkapp. You seemed to be a great group. Have read your other posts describing, among other places, the swim in the bay. I, too, went in and, though I live at the ocean in RI, I rarely venture in until September. I fiigured,when would i ever get this chance again and went for it. I was so glad I did. The "hot tub" part was great and I have nearly identical pictures to yours. I felt the crew on the Nordnorge did a wonderful job accomodating our extra guests. It was a really rough Drake crossing but I kept thinking of the Cyclone at Coney Island, only the ride lasted 40 hours. It really was an adventure and remain very impressed by NCV.

Hi Linda, good to hear from someone on the Nordkapp at the time of the grounding. I have been looking at most cruise boards & no one seems to have posted. There was one sensationalised account from a passenger in a UK newspaper, guess he was trying to up the compensation package! Glad you enjoyed the trip in spite of the accident. It is a superb experience & like you I would go again if the chance arose. I see you have seen my long review of my Dec trip on Nordkapp posted on South America board. That has links to my photos on webshots, have you posted any photos on the web of your trip?

Hi there - I DID see your pictures on webshots and they were awesome!! I'm still working on getting mine uploaded - seems to take forever going through all my shots, etc. Your review was excellent - I was so glad to find ANYONE who had been on this trip. I've been looking for others and am as surprised as you that there seems to be very little from anyone on our fateful trip...........

I did post about a dozen pictures on the thread holding your long review - spread out between three posts maybe - if you care to take a look.

Regards,

Linda

Hi Linda, I eventually found your pictures by clicking your profile link as I could not understand why I could not find them. All solved when I found them on Golden Princess thread! Your weather at Deception is about the same as we had, but you have a lot less snow on the ground than we had just 6 weeks earlier. I have seen other pics from the Nordnorge cruise in early Feb, they had fantastic warm weather with clear sky's. It did strike me however that there was so little snow about at Deception & Brown Bluff & Cuverville. Those pics can be found on webshots by searching for user "mplatts" if you are interested. As you say a fantastic experience not to be missed. The little webshots album of old BW photos & memorabilia I took with me on CD & did an afterdinner talk one night on Nordkapp about my experience of 50 years ago.

Hi Linda, I eventually found your pictures by clicking your profile link as I could not understand why I could not find them. All solved when I found them on Golden Princess thread! Your weather at Deception is about the same as we had, but you have a lot less snow on the ground than we had just 6 weeks earlier. I have seen other pics from the Nordnorge cruise in early Feb, they had fantastic warm weather with clear sky's. It did strike me however that there was so little snow about at Deception & Brown Bluff & Cuverville. Those pics can be found on webshots by searching for user "mplatts" if you are interested. As you say a fantastic experience not to be missed. The little webshots album of old BW photos & memorabilia I took with me on CD & did an afterdinner talk one night on Nordkapp about my experience of 50 years ago.

Oops........... I forgot I had found myself on the Golden Princess thread - talking about how fantastic the trip would be if one went on an expedition ship like the Nordkapp.............;)

I looked at "mplatts" pictures on webshots - fantastic!! Although it looked like that cruise tour began the WEEK before mine (01/10/07). Amazing how completely different everything looked - although they made quite a few different landings than we did and in a totally different order. But even the ones we made that were the same (Deception Island, Brown Bluff, Petermann Island, Arctowski) they had such CLEAR weather!! We had gale force 10 winds with sleet and rain on Deception Island (just before Ravn Rock reached out and gouged a long gash in our outer hull), mega fog at Brown Bluff (our landing was cancelled after only two groups landed - luckily I was in that second group - because the ship was being closed in by icebergs and the fog was so bad one polarCirkel got lost for a bit), impending storm at Petermann and so so skies at Artctowksi. And LOTS of fog all along the way. Lemaire Channel and Paradise Harbor were eerily beautiful in all that fog, but visibility way way down. MPlatts' pictures looked completely different!! And we didn't make as many landings (I think we lost one or two) because we made a little southern sidetrip down across the Antarctic Circle instead. We would have landed at Half Moon Island the same day we did Deception if it weren't for that fateful accident. And then I would have some pictures of Chinstraps!! (We only saw a stray one or two at Arctowski and Yankee Harbor).

Guess I'll just have to plan another trip down there.............. I think you could go again and again and see totally different things each and every time. Not only does the weather change so dramatically, but the life-cycles of those penguins do too!! Go in December and the adults are nesting; go in January and the chicks are growing; go in February and the chicks are molting; go in March and the adults are gone.............

Yep - gotta go to Antarctica again someday..............:)

Sounds as if these are true adventure cruises! Vantage is offering a good deal on the Nordnorge for late Oct and early Nov sailings. Is the weather less stable during late fall....or should we look into winter sailings?

I'm wondering if there's anyone here who's taking the same cruise to Antarctica?

Also, I would appreciate any suggestions from those who have been there. I've already read lots of articles about trips to Antarctica but real experience is always much better!

Thank you!

My dear Yorksel. It was a pity do not change emails at Norkapp or Nordnorge. We have to choose another trip for a complete compensation ( 30% of discount) up 31Mar07.

Do you know who have the video of the accident?

I have mine but i would like to complete the editing with more takes.

Best Regards

Sounds as if these are true adventure cruises! Vantage is offering a good deal on the Nordnorge for late Oct and early Nov sailings. Is the weather less stable during late fall....or should we look into winter sailings?

I sailed in mid-January aboard the Nordkapp - sister ship to the Nordnorge. I'm sure sailing in late October early November would work just as well - - the weather would be colder and there would be more snow and ice on ground. I can't say if the weather is less stable during late fall - perhaps someone else who's done this trip during that timeframe would know. What you will see is governed by the weather and time of year. I saw mostly penguin chicks who were getting ready to molt, together with their parent(s). I assume you would see - at the beginning of the season - penguins coming ashore to nest, building nests, mating, etc.

My dear Yorksel. It was a pity do not change emails at Norkapp or Nordnorge. We have to choose another trip for a complete compensation ( 30% of discount) up 31Mar07.

Do you know who have the video of the accident?

I have mine but i would like to complete the editing with more takes.

Best Regards

Dear HRod,

I don't know if I can help you or not; I do have a DVD of Nordkapp trip which was prepared by the Nordkapp expedition staff. This DVD ends with the expedition leader telling us what the damage to the ship was....... Is this the video you are referring to? I don't know whether anyone onboard was using their own personal video equipment or not to document the accident.

I also have some pictures - either taken by me or others - which I have gathered that depict the rescue ships, the Nordnorge, some pictures of the dormitory I was in for the return trip to Ushuaia, and one picture of the water when we hit Ravn Rock, which was taken by another Nordkapp passenger.

There are also many news articles which may or may not be still available on the internet. I have gathered them together in a word document.

If any of this would help you - let me know and I'll provide you with my e-mail address.

Regards,

LCLett

HROD - We're staying at the Fenix Hotel in Lisbon in December. Any information you can give us would be greatly appreciated.

We did the 17 day Grand Norway on the Midnatsol in 2005. The Antarctic trip with NCV is on our short list of things to do. Looking at late 2008 to early 2009.

Archived