Crane Beach - Anyone been here?

kitty1

If we are lucky, we can visit the Crane for lunch and dinner a few times a year.

It is a magnificent place....perhaps one of the most beautiful places in the world. Conde Nast certainly thinks so.

The beach is open to the public, as all beaches on Barbados are, but most go there for lunch and walk through the hotel.

It's a 50' stair down to the beach, but it sounds worse than it is.

There are a few vendors there with lounges and umbrellas as I remember and cold drinks out of their coolers.

If you can afford the time, I encourage you to have lunch and drinks at the Crane restaurant. It is unforgettable and worth every penny.

You can certainly just access the beach on the side of the hotel and purchase your needs from the beach vendor, but having lunch high above the beach is simply breathtaking and it is a view that you will remember for life and judge all the others by.

I leave you with two views of the Crane........

A birds-eye view of Crane beach and The Crane Hotel

crane2.jpg

A view from the surf looking back to the beach and Hotel

crane-beach-barbados.jpg

Have a great time on the island :)

My husband and I have been to Crane Beach 3 different times when we've stopped in Barbados on Cruises. This beach is absolutely beautiful and not very populated. The sand is the prettiest I've ever seen. It's very fine and has several colors in it but it's mainly has a pink hue. The waves a fun, much more active than the Caribbean side of the island. The hotel is beautiful and the view over the side of the cliff is fantastic. It's one of our favorite spots in the Caribbean. We've taken a cab from the port to get there as well as the bus, which is much cheaper but takes a little bit longer. The only thing to watch out for is the flies. We've been there twice in early November ( 2002 & 2001). One year, no problem at all with flies. The next year it was horrible. The flies looked like really house flies and they had quite a bite. We were slapping them so much that we couldn't even read on the beach. I ended up staying in the water to avoid the flies. So, maybe call ahead and see if it's fly season before you take the trek out to the beach. It's worth it just to go see it and take pictures of the cliff and scenery but if you want to hang around awhile, find out about the flies.

We've been going to Crane 2-3 times a year for the last 13 years and have never seen a fly. Sandflies, yes, but never a house-type fly. How curious.

We go from January through April, which is our "dry season", and the summer months, June through October or November is our wet season. Perhaps this is a "wet-season" insect.

I'll ask the old-timers next year and find out.

Thanks for the heads-up!

Remember: "Time flies like mad, but fruit flies like bananas".

Thanks for the advice. Think we will visit Crane beach on our next trip to Barbados.

We loved Barbados last time we were there. Hope to visit different places on this beautiful island this time.

• 2 weeks later...

Plan on spending about US$40-50/ea for a nice lunch and a couple of drinks including the tip.

Remember, a hamburger, fries and a soft drink at one of our fast-food spots can run US$13.

For the difference in price, you'll never forget your day there.

Promise! :) :)

"What type of food is served at the restaurant? Is it upscale, more casual or in-between? We will be there on a Weds. How crowded is the beach typically midweek? Thanks!"

At L'Azure Restaurant (the main restaurant at the Crane) you'll find everything from fish to pasta and steak. They are renound for their seafood which is often caught hours before right off the coast.

Many days you have the choice of a sumptuous buffet or a la carte menu.

L'Azure has won the gold award for "light cuisine" from A La Carte Magazine, not a minor award, indeed.

I would classify the lunch dining as casual-upscale, but relaxed, not stuffy.

A new restaurant opened there in April of this year, just after we left the island for the winter, called Zen.

It has a sushi bar, Thai and Japanese cusine and private dining rooms, if you wish.

We usually choose the Buffet as there are SO many selections, but some times we go a la carte. Try the Crane Chubb & Calamari, it is wonderful. Their catch-of-the-day is always outstanding.

Sundays they have a WONDERFUL brunch. Gospel music in the mornings and a steel drum band in the afternoon. The brunch on Sundays is withour match anywhere.

I've probably told you more than you wanted to know, but it is one of our favorite spots in all of the Caribbean and it pleases me that you are going to discover it, too.

Have a wonderful time! :) :)

Mr. Barbados,

Thanks so much for the input. We'll go dressed in "resort casual" for lunch and bring a bag with our bathing suit, etc. to go to the beach afterward. I've never had calimari in my life, but when in rome!

Someone mentioned taking the bus to Crane beach and was wondering if it's possible. We went to Folkstone beach on the bus last January and had no problems. If a bus is available can you catch it @ the depot a couple blocks away from the cruiseship pier? How often do they run? Any info would be appreciated. Crane beach looks great.

Someone mentioned taking the bus to Crane beach and was wondering if it's possible. We went to Folkstone beach on the bus last January and had no problems. If a bus is available can you catch it @ the depot a couple blocks away from the cruiseship pier? How often do they run? Any info would be appreciated. Crane beach looks great.

You know, since we have our own vehicle, we haven't taken the bus in a number of years. But I remember it coming CLOSE to the Crane, but not right in front.

I e-mailed Desmond Sabir who is the Operations Manager for the Barbados Transport Board, and I'm sure he'll give me the straight scoop.

Might be Monday or Tuesday before he gets a chance to get back to me. but as soon as he does, I'll let you know.

Well, you're in luck, jakedoc, there is a bus that goes to Crane.

It's the Route 12A out of the Fairchild Street Station.

It runs every 1/2 hour from 5:30AM to Midnight. Cost is US$.75.

After you get off the ship and finally exit the Gatehouse, keep walking past Pelican Villiage on Princess Alice Hwy. Continue past the Parliament Buildings then turn right on Bridge Street to the Fairchild Bus Station on the corner of Bridge & Fairchild. About one mile.

You could also take the shuttle there for a buck if you don't choose to walk.

The return trip will pick you up at Crane and return you to The Fairchild St. Terminal.

So, we both learned something, yes?

Have a great time! :)

You're quite welcome! My pleasure!

On an aside.... I just took advanced aerobatic flight training near Oshkosh for three weeks. First time in Wisconsin and I liked it!

Sure are a lot of Land-O-Lakes farms, yes? I thought it would just be one big factory.

You also have lots of thermals and weather from Lake Michigan, more than we have here in Oregon.

When I went there, I was underweight on my luggage; Coming back, I was over by 15 pounds and had to pay the fine (Too much CHEESE!).

If you ever see Bret Farve, say hello for me. He's my favorite and all I wore most days was a GP Packers Tee-shirt (and pants, of course), hoping that would attract him but, alas, no show and no one even bought me a drink...(grin).

You'll love the bus systen in Barbados. There is no better way to become one with the island and it's people than riding public transportation. You'll have a ball!

Please let us know upon your return how it all worked out.

Best wishes again! :)

Mr. Barbados- If I see Brett,I promise to say Hi for you. In fact he used to live about 4 blocks from me(Green Bay is not a big town, population of 100,00). I used to see him driving all the time. I get to see him play at Lambeau Field -I have 2 season tickets. We always have a chance to win with Brett as quarterback but unfortunately I think he'll only play a couple of more years. We have a lot of lakes around here but the water is a little colder for swimming and we don"t have that beautiful Carribean blue and aqua colored water. If you took advanced flight training in Oshkosh you probably know that Wittman field there becomes the busiest airport in the world during the EAA fly-in held in late summer. A great place to visit and see all the different aircraft.

What a lucky guy, jakedoc, two season tickets!

Well, I photographed for the Oakland Raiders for a number of years and in return they gave me two season tickets. Was able to see them win the 1976 Superbowl, but then I moved away and they moved away and I became more logical about my favorite teams, and The Pack has always held a special place for me. When Brett goes, I don't know what will happen, but they'll still be my favorite team, win or loose.

Yes, I know about Wittman Field. We landed there once to re-fuel and it is difficult to imagine the field-load during the EAA. I trained at Outagamie County in Appleton; much smaller and less busy.

To redeem myself to this great board for going off topic, I leave you with a picture of Tent Bay, near Bathsheba on the East Coast and Bottom Bay in the same area. A little farther than you're going, but Crane beats them both for sheer beauty.

Tent Bay, Barbados

tent-bay.jpg

Bottom Bay, Barbados

bottonbay2.jpg

Have a great trip to the island and you'll hear a big 'YES!!! from Barbados during the SB as I KNOW The Pack will make it this year! :) :)

Archived