Diamond 6/12 Review (Part 2 of 12)

augie

Friday, June 11: The Saga begins.

We got up early to make our flight that left Melbourne, Florida at 7:00AM. You'd think that after all of the cruises we've been on we'd have learned how to pack light, but apparently we haven't. Some of that was due to the unfamiliarity of cruising to Alaska, and uncertainty as to what the weather conditions would be, and what we'd need to have to be comfortable. Regardless, we had four bags to check, some of them dangerously close to being overweight, and another two carry ons each! The flight left on time and arrived on time to Atlanta where, true to form, our connecting flight was at the extreme opposite end of the terminal. The waiting area for the flight to Seattle was packed, and from overhearing conversations we learned that a good number of the people were flying out there to get on a cruise.

The flight from Atlanta to Seattle was long. I guess I could have watched the in flight movie, Starsky and Hutch, but I thought that would only make the flight seem even longer. It was cool to see the top of Mt. Rainier protruding through the thick blanket of clouds as we began our approach.

We were met at baggage claim by our town car driver, Valery, from Russia. He was somehow able to maneuver most of our mound of luggage into the trunk, and then it was off to Seattle. It was mostly cloudy and cool when we arrived, but it didn't dampen our enthusiasm, as it now felt like our vacation was truly starting. Seeing some of the various cruise ships at the piers along Alaska Way only made us more excited!

We arrived at the Edgewater Hotel around 1:00 or so and were met by a bevy of bellmen. Our room wasn't ready for us so we checked our bags and headed off in the general direction of Pike Street Market. The number and variety of shops and vendors there was amazing. Watching the famous fish throwers was fun, and the fresh cut flowers were incredible. I bought some coffee beans and had them ground for me at the original Starbucks store (or so I was told), so that I could have fresh coffee on the balcony all week.

Our room at the Edgewater was an ocean view room on the fourth floor. Although a bit small, it had some nice touches such as a gas burning fireplace and a small balcony. All of the staff at the hotel was very friendly and accommodating. The property is built to resemble a mountain lodge, with some open common areas decorated with furs, antlers and such, and a large picture window with a great view of Elliott Bay.

After we took a much needed nap, we walked to Anthony's Pier 66 restaurant, which was practically next door, for dinner. While there we saw the Sapphire leave port around 6:30PM. We wondered why she was leaving so late, but later found out that her cruise began the day after ours did, so this must have been either a cruise to nowhere or a test of some sort. Either way it was a nice preview of our sail away that would take place the next day. After dinner we walked up to 6th Ave. to Jazz Alley, where we had tickets to see Lee Ritenour and his band perform. Jazz Alley is a jazz dinner club that probably holds no more than 200 people, if that. It was a great venue for watching this type of show. As a special treat, Eric Merenthial, a jazz saxophonist of some note, was playing with the group. The show was absolutely phenomenal! Afterwards, we walked back to the waterfront and turned in for the night.

(End of Part 2)

Archived