Go Back   Cruise Critic Message Board Forums > Cruise Conversations > Lose Before You Cruise

Register here!
Forgot Your Password?

Notices

Lose Before You Cruise A place for cruisers to share their stories of how to lose weight before a cruise. Virtual snacks allowed, but only in small quantities.

Old August 14th, 2007, 10:30 AM
Cool Cruiser

Well it sounds like everyone had an exciting weekend! I bought my formal dress for my cruise, but I also cheated alot this weekend!!
I feel sooo guilty, and I gained back 2 lbs, probably water but still!!!
I had enchiladas and a few mexican martinis!!!! It was sooo good, but those things are loaded with sugar! I am back on the straight and narrow for the next 2 weeks.

Ad Sponsored By
Old August 14th, 2007, 11:45 AM
Cool Cruiser

Good morning everyone,

I'm tired! Had a busy but fun day yesterday, and started it with Boot Camp since I wasn't going to make it to the gym. The kids had a great first day of school, and I look forward to the little one going to her first day at daycare tomorrow! I need one day a week to get things done!

Annie ~ I wish you the best with your new WOE. I'm like Tom, low fat would be a disaster for me, but maybe it will work for you. Keep us posted!

Jean ~ I haven't gotten the space bag down yet...too busy yesterday. I'll probably get to it tomorrow. I have to wait on the congrats, though...I don't know if anything will fit yet!

Tom ~ have fun camping! We're going on a family camping trip the day AFTER we get back from our cruise!!

Karen ~ you're doing awesome! It's inspiring! Keep it up! I hope you have good news regarding your lipid profile in Sept!! My total cholesterol went up from 144 to 150 since I've been on Atkins, but the latest reading doesn't reflect the breakdown of HDL & LDL. I'm sure the HDL has gone up. The ratio was really good before, and I'd be shocked if it were different now.

Plaugh ~ you'll get back on track! I believe guilt, when it relates to food, is a waste of energy, don't you? Did you enjoy the enchiladas & margaritas? Then consider them a speed bump & keep on going. I hope when I'm back on maintenance to have a cheat meal once a week...maybe even a whole day. When I was at maintenance before, it worked really well & I didn't gain the weight back.

Kreeb ~ I take the Kirkland equivalent of Costco silver (even though I'm not silver, I like the combo), a B-complex, potassium & magnesium (to regulate my heartbeat) and Kirkland version of Viactiv (sugar-free) calcium. Before I started Atkins, I took a green tea/hoodia supplement, which had been working, but it stopped when I resumed Atkins. And I take Move Free for my joints, which recently started bugging me. It's helped a lot.

Have a great day, everyone!

CCL Sunshine 11/13
RCI Navigator of the Seas 01/13
CCL Elation 10/12
CCL Triumph 12/10
CCL Fantasy 11/09
CCL Fantasy 09/07
RCI Empress of the Seas 07/05
RCI Sovereign of the Seas 10/02

Old August 14th, 2007, 01:52 PM
Cool Cruiser

Plough! Oh my goodness!!! I hope I haven't been a bad influence with my bad self You get right back up there girl! You have been doing so good to throw in the towel now! You want that dress to fit!
Have you ever noticed that you tend to just bloat the minute you walk on a ship? Of course the minute you walk on the ship they send you to the buffett line But really, I think it has something to do with the salt air

Ya'll are all doing great!
This is day two 1/2 on my nwoe, I feel a little bloated already, maybe the rice in the healthy choice dinner I had for lunch? I am probably sabbatoging my self I will let ya'll know on Monday.

Annie

Old August 14th, 2007, 04:50 PM
Cool Cruiser

Lisa- Yes you are right about guilt, theres not alot I can do about it now!!! And yes I enjoyed it soo much!!! I miss mexican food, it is my favorite!!!

Annie- No, you are not a bad influence, I just had a weekend of weakness, but its ok Im back on track today!!! I do want to fit into the dress!!! I hope your new program works well for you!!!

Have a great night everyone!!!!!

Old August 14th, 2007, 05:26 PM
Cool Cruiser

Plaugh - I found this Atkins-friendly recipe for tacos. Here is the link:
http://www.atkinsdietbulletinboard.c...ad.php?t=21502
I haven't tried making them yet, but it would definitely satisfy my craving for mexican food.

Lisa and Jean - I started taking all my supplements yesterday, and I keep burping and tasting fish oil...Yuck!!!

I went out to lunch today and had a delicious salad containing lettuce, ham, swiss cheese, sliced green olives, and bacon. My husband had a club sandwich with french fries and then a piece of key lime pie for dessert, and it didn't even bother or tempt me in the least. It's amazing how much self-control I have now.

Old August 15th, 2007, 12:06 PM
Cool Cruiser

Hey Kiddos!
Wow!

Kreeb - Isn't it so cool when you are eating with someone and you ordered the right meal, and the others have ordered something that 'would have' tempted you just a few days before and now has no effect on you!! That's will power at it's finest! Mexican food seems to a favorite among most everyone on this thread - but remember - fajitas are your friends! Meat, peppers, cheese .... just say no to the tortillias! And I just take the Flaxseed oil capsules - no reflux for me, this is easier for me then fish oil.

Plaugh- Keep focused! Cleaning that closet is one of those goals that aren't always going to be showing up on the scales - but in life - unloading all that stuff you don't have to keep stored, pressed or taking up space - You Go Girl!!

Swansonia, Tom, and everyone else. It's Wed - Be good!
Lisa & Annie - Stay where it's cool - I'm sure the cooler weather can't come soon enough for you guys down there!

NMCruzzin
My Shutterfly website: http://jeansadventures1958.shutterfly.com/

Old August 15th, 2007, 12:44 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by NMCruzzin View Post
Hey Kiddos!
Wow!

Kreeb - Isn't it so cool when you are eating with someone and you ordered the right meal, and the others have ordered something that 'would have' tempted you just a few days before and now has no effect on you!! That's will power at it's finest! Mexican food seems to a favorite among most everyone on this thread - but remember - fajitas are your friends! Meat, peppers, cheese .... just say no to the tortillias!

Wonder how weird it would be but has anyone tried brining along LC tortillias for their fajitas??? I avoid mexican because of the lack of LC selection but maybe that would work?? (I have a very large purse)

Well everyone keep up the good work!!! I've put off buying any new clothes for my cruise as I have 6 months to go and am hoping of reaching my goal - down 31lbs with 43 to go.

Old August 15th, 2007, 01:56 PM
Cool Cruiser

Hey gang,

Just got back from Pilates & I have to immerse myself in finances...so quick post. It's bloat week & the scale will not be friendly, but I'll let you know the update when the bloat goes down...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kreeb View Post
Lisa and Jean - I started taking all my supplements yesterday, and I keep burping and tasting fish oil...Yuck!!!
LOL ~ I hate it when that happens!!

Jean ~ the actual temp (without the heat index) is 103 right now. We're supposed to be up to 112 with the index this afternoon.

Plaugh ~ great job getting back on track!

Kiraryker ~ good to hear from you! I think you'll have great results by the time you cruise!

Annie ~ hang in there!

Hi Tom & Karen! Have a great day everyone!

CCL Sunshine 11/13
CCL Elation 10/12
CCL Triumph 12/10
CCL Fantasy 11/09
CCL Fantasy 09/07

Old August 17th, 2007, 09:12 AM
Cool Cruiser

How is everyone? Its pretty quiet in here!!! I have managed to stay storng and turn down homemade cookies yesterday!!!! It was soo hard but I want to look good in my bikini on the cruise!!

Annie how is your new program working for you?

Ok well have a great day everyone!!!!!

Old August 17th, 2007, 10:34 AM
Cool Cruiser

My husband and I went to dinner last night at Carrabba's Italian restaurant. While he drank his beer, I sipped on unsweet ice tea. While he dipped his bread in the olive oil and spices and ate it piece after piece, I sipped on my ice tea. While he ate his pasta with alfredo sauce and shrimp, I ate my salad with grilled shrimp and scallops.

After dinner he told me how proud he was that I was able to face all the temptations and not waiver in my commitment to my WOE. I think Italian restaurants are one of the most difficult to eat at when following this WOE. What do you order at an Italian restaurant?

Last night I decided to have a "treat", so I pulled out the blender to make a chocolate dessert that is supposed to be like a Wendy's Frosty. You use a couple tablespoons of heavy cream, a little water, a tablespoon of cocoa powder, splenda or DaVinci's sugar free syrup to sweeten, and a few ice cubes. Well, my blender wasn't chopping up the ice and mixing properly because a plastic piece that makes the blades move disintegrated. So I guess it's time to buy a new blender. The drink wasn't as "frosty" as it should be, but I still drank it with chunks of ice and it satified my craving for a treat.

Old August 17th, 2007, 10:46 AM
Cool Cruiser

Unhappy Temptations!

Kreeb & plaugh !!
Wow !! What temptations! And you both succeded in the Challenge!! Good for you! And thanks for posting your experience!! See - we all go through those times but you stayed focused and I bet your scales will reward you!!

Kreeb - My DH and I laugh because when we sit down with a big glass of iced tea or water we tell each other " I'm just loving this peach cobbler!!" Or " This DQ blizzard has really hit the spot, don't you think?" LOL!! Ya gotta have fun with it!! Yes! I agree! Italian places are the hardest! And the bread with the spices and olive oil.... just to much temptations for me!! -- I suggest BBQ! Ha!
SFS - Induction friendly shake - I make 2-3 times a week! :
1/2 cup egg beaters, 1/4 heavy cream, 1/4 c cream cheese, Divinci syrup - 1/4 cup of crushed ice - it usually does just the trick for a craving - and if you make ahead about 30 min - put in the freezer - it tastes pretty frosty!

Homemade cookies?!?! Yikes!! Good Job ducking that one Plaugh!

Have a terrific weekend!

NMCruzzin

Old August 17th, 2007, 01:39 PM
Cool Cruiser

Kreeb- Wow Italian!!! That would be very hard to watch someone eat, but you did!!!! Way to go! My favorite is Ravioli and of course the bread, wow I havent had bread in months!!!

Old August 19th, 2007, 12:32 PM
Cool Cruiser

Default Proud of you guys !!!

I am so proud of you all...Overcoming temptations like that!!! Cookies and Italian !!! How great does that make you feel? I had a tough time this week...Not sure why either...just wanted some no-no things and gave in... And, boy am I paying for it yesterday and today...My feet are so swollen...A little better today, but still not right... Gonna drink lots of water today and back to induction for a few days...Wish me well my dear friends!!!! Cruise is 8 days away and hurricane Dean is bearing down on my destinations...Cozunel and Playa Del Carmen...May be a cruise to nowhere...or may be a change in itinerary...Have to wait and see....
Karen

Carnival Elation (Western Carribean) 7/25/2011
Carnival Destiny (Western Carribean) 6/5/2010
Carnival Fantasy (Western Carribean) 3/3/08 and 1/10/09
Holiday (Western Carribean) 1/29/07, 8/27/07 and 10/27/07
Carnival Spirit (SB Alaska) 7/5/06 (NB Alaska) 7/2/08
Carnival Conquest (Western Carribean) 3/23/03 and 12/12/04

Old August 19th, 2007, 11:50 PM
Cool Cruiser

Hey ya'll, just checking in to let you know that my low fat/calorie is not working so good for me. I have been soooo hungry and craving the bad stuff, so ofcourse I gave in too and had several cheats this week. I have gained a couple of pounds and I feel so bloated! I am going back to induction in the AM. I feel like a runaway for the past week. Obviously I am not disciplined enough to do the low fat stuff.

Swansonia/Karen, I posted on the 10% thread about the bloating thing, I know what you mean about the feet swelling. I am watching the hurricane too because all the ports on my next cruise are in the path of this "Bad Boy" storm. It looks like Jamaica didn't suffer too much damage, but, we will be able to know more in the AM. Here's hoping everyone is ok.

Jean.Lisa and Tom, how are ya'll doing out there?

Annie

Old August 20th, 2007, 02:31 AM
Cool Cruiser

Default I'm on week 2 of induction.

Hi all,

I'm on week 2 of induction. Planning to drop 25 lbs or so before our honeymoon cruise this December! Enjoying married life so far except that my husband can (and does) eat anything he wants without weight gain and I'm entering a period of life where I need exercise and some control over eating to maintain a healthy weight. I've lost 7 lbs since we started working out (walking 30min-2hrs/day depending on how we're feeling, weather, etc) and since I've been on induction this week. Unfortunately we got colds and haven't been able to exercise too much the last few days. I feel so sick and have been taking ibuprofen every 6 hours to control my sore throat and achy body. I've also gained back my 8th pound of loss in the 3 days since we stopped working out which signaled hitting my first "goal" weight and a purchase of a selection of da vinci sugar free syrups- cannot wait for them to arrive!

I'm getting a little bored with the induction foods (been eating them 13 days even though I've only been under 20 carbs/day for 9 days since it took some days to get out all the cookies, soda, starches from my diet entirely) and I'm glad I only have to eat them one more week. I can't wait to reread my OWL chapter in preparation for beginning the next phase of Atkins next Saturday! Hooray-- more food choices!

Look forward to losing before cruising with Atkins and maintaining on my cruise and thereafter and possibly converting my husband with the exception of a little pasta, rice, or potatoes on the side of his low-carb meals that I'm making!

Old August 20th, 2007, 09:13 AM
Cool Cruiser

Hello All:
welcome pinkbinkini:
Annie: Low calorie just does not work for me either. Atkins does and I feel great.
Swansonia: wow cruise 8 days away.... Time to be good....
plaugh: Itlian is a hard one. Turning down cookies, You Rock. We have to stay focused and have our own sugar free treats ( in moderation). What I really hate is when prople say "one wont hurt". That is true, but when I binge because I can not stop that will hurt. I have been practically sugarless since May.
Kreeb: Being able to stay on your program and let others eat is the only way to do this. YOu Go!! Italian is hard. So is Mexican!
Hi Lisa: you will get through this week..
Hello Jean: You made me laugh about pretending your glass of water or tea is a decadant desert. LOL

Well I went camping and did really good. I went hiking most days in the A.M. before it got hot. I also stuck to "premaintainace". I did have some beans. But no junk food, or white bread.... Perhaps I did have a little too much bacon. But good news I lost about another 2 lbs...
so that makes for about 33-34 lbs since May... And I leave for cruise in 3 days ... I did really make sure to bring my own food and always had the right snacks arround...

All for now, Tom

Twenty seven
Carnival Magic Gala & 6 Day , Thanks P.K.
11/13/2011

Twenty six
Carnival Spirit 6 day double Cabo, 01/03/2011

Twenty five
QM2, two for one Westbound Atlantic Crossing
10/19/2010

Twenty four
04/30/2010 CARNIVAL ELATION Panama Canal
15 days

Twenty-three 01/07/2010 CARNIVAL DESTINY (Key West to see the 5 toed Cats)

Twenty-two 12/07/2009 Dirt cheap Cruise # 2 CARNIVAL ELATION 4 DAY

Twenty-one 11/13/09 CARNIVAL DREAM CRUISE TO NOWHERE

Twenty 10/12/09 CARNIVAL PARADISE
dirt cheap quick get away.

Nineteen 08/09 CARNIVAL SPIRIT (ALASKA) aft wrap suite
(cause my honey is worth it)

Eighteen 03/24/09 CARNIVAL SPENDOR CRUISE TO NOWHERE !! Thanks P.K.

Seventeen 01/02/09 PARADISE
(working my way to Platinum in a 1a)
Cruise with Uncle John

Sixteen 03/23/08 CARNIVAL PRIDE 7 day
Fifteen 01/03/08 ELATION 4 day
Fourteen 08/26/07 Queen Elizabeth 2 (5 day)
Thirteen04/07 4 day Paradise
Twelve 02/06 QM2 11 day Hawaii
Eleven02/06 QM2 3 day meeting of the Queens
Ten 01/06 QE2 Trans-Atlantic
Nine 01/05 Regal Empress 2 day
Eight 05/04 QM2 8 day Carib. from N.Y.
Seven 04/04 Monarch of the Seas 4 day Mexico
2000 to present waiter on the Queen Mary.
Six 11/99 S.S. Norway 7 day Carib.
Five 10/98 Rembrandt (ex Rotterdam) 13 day Trans-At.
1996-97 Titanic Movie ( as model maker)
Four 11/95 Holiday 3 day Mexico
Three 04/95 S.S. Rotterdam 14 day World Cruise segment
Two 04/92 S.S. Rotterdam 8 day to Hawaii
1988-1989 waiter on the Queen Mary
One 09/79 Sun Princess 3 day party cruise

Old August 20th, 2007, 10:11 AM
Cool Cruiser

Hi all,

It's been a very good week for me with regard to my WOE...I'm still in OWL & doing very well. It has been bloat week, though, so my weight keeps fluctuating. I'm getting many compliments and it's getting embarrassing...but I'm still 17 pounds from my goal! Little by little I find one more thing in my closet I can fit into...slow & steady does the trick!

Today DD is 11, and I'm bringing cookies to her school at lunch...but I'm not worried about it. Tonight we're going to Logan's to celebrate her birthday...steak, salad & veggies, skip the rolls!

Tom ~ woohoo! 3 days left, that's awesome! Please come back & give us all the details.

Plaugh ~ how long do you have until you cruise? I'll bet that bikini will look great...great job turning down the cookies!

Kreeb ~ same to you for the italian! That is pretty difficult to resist...

Jean ~ love your imagination!

Annie ~ sorry to hear about your week. I hope getting back to induction makes you feel better. My cruise destinations are in the bullseye of Dean right now...like you, I pray for the people there. BTW, I didn't go to Logan's on my bday...but I would love to try Folk's Folly...haven't been there yet but I've heard great things! I went to my favorite fajita salad place, Costa Vida on Germantown Rd. It really is the best fajita salad I have ever had!

Pinkbikini ~ welcome! Sounds like you're off to a great start! I wouldn't be surprised if part of feeling miserable is your body detoxing. I hope you feel better soon!

Kiraryker ~ great progress! You will surely reach your goal!

Karen ~ I wish you well! Hopefully the bloat will go down in no time. I'm eager to hear how everything works out with your ports.

Have a great Monday, everyone!

CCL Sunshine 11/13
CCL Elation 10/12
CCL Triumph 12/10
CCL Fantasy 11/09
CCL Fantasy 09/07

Old August 20th, 2007, 10:26 AM
Cool Cruiser

Welcome to the Atkins Board Pinkbikini!!
Yup, Induction is a tough one - we've all done it - are doing it - and are still doing it! Sugar Free Sheila website had some really good helps and ways to keep induction a bit more tasty!! Check it out! She posts on here sometimes and is a great encouragement! Read through past posts and you'll see some great receipes!
ANNIE!! Welcome Home Girl!! Friday night we went to the movies - shared a bag of popcorn - yum going down - - I felt crummy all Saturday! BLAH!! Popcorn was the only stray for weeks now - so I know it was that. And I love popcorn. But I think in a way it was good - because I was good on Sat and Sun and I'm feeling so much better. Next time - I'm taking a bag of Macadamia nuts with me!
Tom- You have done so great! And your right on the 'just one won't hurt' - because that's my problem- I have a hard time stopping with just ONE!!! Better to just pass on the cheats and feel good! Remember - You have to take a new picture on your cruise to show us how great that tux looks!
Lisa- enjoy the compliments - you've worked so hard for them - and just keep your good eye on your goal - you'll get there!

*My DD leaves Sept 9 for the Western Caribbean and is watching the path this storm is taking also!

Catch ya's later

Keep dodging those High Carb Bullets this week

NMCruzzin

Old August 20th, 2007, 09:16 PM
Cool Cruiser

Default what to eat in an Italian restaurant

Kreeb,

I thought of you when I was rereading Atkins this morning and found a section on dining out. The items that stuck out at an Italian restaurant including chicken piccata, any sort of fish with sauces that don't include flour, and even some shellfish was recommended (like seafood salad or scallops).

I don't personally like a lot of shellfish but I could definitely find some chicken or probably a fish I could eat. Just watch the sauces. More detail in the books. Just thought of you when I got to the "eating out" section. So far we've only gone out to a steakhouse so it hasn't been a huge challenge for me to find something on the menu!

Old August 21st, 2007, 10:56 AM
Cool Cruiser

Good Morning everyone!!!! My cruise leaves in 5 days!!!! I am soo excited! I cheated over the weekend, and am not proud of myself but I am back in induction. I have hit my goal weight, and I dont want to gain any back!!! I just want to maintain. Anyway hope everyone is doing well.

Annie- Welcome back!!!!