Soda-less in Seattle

newercruiser

I posted this question on another board, but it occured to me that perhaps the Alaska board is the place to ask this question since many of the Alaskan cruises leave from Seattle.

The hubby and I are sailing from Seattle (never been there) to Alaska in a week on NCL. They only serve Coke products (which we are not fans of) and NCL allows passengers to bring their own soda aboard.

DH and I fly in to Seattle Sunday morning and head to the ship. We would like to stop for a case of pop along the way(we have plenty of time). So, being that we have only been on one cruise before and it was out of FL, can anyone that has sailed out of Seattle tell me the best way to handle this? Should we do the Transfer to get us and our luggage to the ship, check in and then leave the ship again for a pop run (we are from Chicago and call it pop :)) or would you suggest that we take a taxi or limo (and how do we know who to use?) and ask them to stop while we run in somewhere for a case of pop?

I know it probably sounds crazy, but I LOVE my Diet Mountain Dew (it is my only vice - I don't drink alcohol, coffee, tea, etc) and a whole week without it would be tough - that and NCL charges way too much for their soda cards!

Thanks in advance!

Having done the same thing myself, I don't think you're crazy. Though you may find that soda in Seattle is less a pressing issue than soda in a warmer climate. It depends on what method of transfer you're going to take to the port - either of your methods would work fine. I would recommend that you google or yahoo!maps the area and see what the closest shops to your route are and choose what works best. There are no groceries in the vicinity of either the airport or the port, but plenty along the way. Good luck!

I'm just going to assume that you will be taking a cab from the airport to your Pier (30 or 66). Ask the cabbie to stop at Uwajimaya in the International District. It's a large Asian grocery store that carries just about anything, including all the soda products. You can run in to get what you need while the cat waits for you. Uwajimaya is not far from the cruise pier, esp. if yours is Pier 30.

The .5 liter plastic bottles make excellent shoe trees inside your husbands shoes. Play it safe and keep your stress down and pack your favorite soda in your check luggage.

Take a taxi from the airport and tell the cab driver to stop at the Safeway at SW 148th St and 1st Ave. S., just pass the junction of the airport freeway (Hwy 518, which becomes 148th) and Hwy 509, a freeway that goes right up to the waterfront.

If you're on NCL you'll be leaving from the Pier 66 terminal, right downtown.

If all else fails, you can buy soda from a small mom and pop store right in the cruise terminal, on the ground floor street level.

Remember they sell pop in your ports of call, too.

Thanks to all for the VERY helpful information! Even an address for Safeway! What more could a gal ask for?:)

We sail this Sunday, May 27th, so hopefully I will be able to reciprocate with some answers folks may have about Alaska after I return.

Ah, Alaska and Diet Mountain Dew. What more could I ask for? OK - Maybe a chocolate fountain, but that's it! :p

Archived