Wedding Dress Crises

So...I ordered my wedding dress from Alfred Angelo back on April 1st, as they told me it takes 14-16 weeks for my dress to come in and another 6 weeks or so to get it altered. Well, that would have made the delivery date this week, so where I hadn't heard anything I called them and they said that my dress was not done yet because the manufacturer was backed up and was still working on dresses for July and August weddings.

Now, I feel sorry for these brides that are just now getting their dresses so close to their weddings, but I ordered mine early for a reason. I'm a big girl and need to make sure this thing will fit. I'm trying not to freak out and turn bridezilla on this company, it's very hard though. I already broke down in tears here at work when I heard that.

Beware all brides if they say 14-16 weeks, it might be longer. I just hope I get it by the end of August to beginning of September. Any later than that and I don't know what I'm going to do. :(

I feel so lucky. I got my dress from David's Bridal and took it home that day. I am too much of a control freak to wait that long for a dress.

We had a real horror story in my area. A local bridal shop closed and left a bunch of brides without their dresses! David's gave them like 30% off a new dress and attire for their bridal party. I thought that was cool. Can you imagine paying for a dress and then finding out that you weren't going to get it? I'd hang someone!!!

Well, i was lucky also and got my dress the same day also, however you said that it takes 6 weeks for alterations? If i were you i would check out places by your house that do alterations, and i am sure they can do it sooner, if you are really worried about the timing! But i am having a problem with one of my bridesmaids buying her dress, they say it can take 4 months to come in and my wedding is less than 5 months! :eek: But i have already decided that she needs to buy it by this weekend, or else... :) Good luck and best wishes!

Wow, I'm sorry to hear that! I would be very frustrated, too.

I ordered my dress back in February and the delivery date is beginning of September (the wedding is Nov. 23). I thought it was crazy that it would take so long, but I bet the manufacturer is doing the same thing to me, I just didn't know it.

I'm worried about alterations, too. They encouraged me to round up a size when ordering and now I've lost some weight. I'm worried about the bust being enormous and them NOT being able to do alterations so that it looks right.

I guess there is always something to worry about so I'm trying not to even think about it. :) I just can't wait until it gets here and is in my clutches!

My bridesmaid's dress just came in the other day. She is a size 4 but had to order a 14 because of her breasts! Lucky! But they will almost have to completely redo her dress. I fear how long it will take!

WOW! :eek:

Meeko- That's so stressful! I'm sure it's hard not to panic, but try to stay calm if you can... one suggestion... if the person you ordered from doesn't know the exact travel details, maybe you can inform them that because you have to travel TO your cruise, you need the dress, complete with alterations, ready to go the week before. It might buy you an extra week. My friend is getting married on August 19 and her dress just came in this week. She was freaking out and calling the store every day, so I'm sure you're really upset. But it did all work out ok for her, and I'm sure it will for you too!

The same exact thing happened to me. I ordered my dress in November and received it in June. Yep...almost 8 months even though it was only supposed to take 6 months. I ordered mine early to have plenty of time and the manufacturer was "backlogged". I was SO furious, even though I didn't need it until at the earliest October to get alterations done. My philosophy was "If I had to order early, so should everyone else". IMHO, common sense says that if you're having a wedding during the most popular wedding months (read...SUMMER) you should have thought ahead. I don't know what the exact case was in your situation, but my consultant at the bridal shop said that a bunch of brides waited until about 2-3 months away to order their dresses and that the manufacturer makes them by wear date not by the date the order was placed. Duh! :rolleyes:

Everything WILL work out. I know exactly how you feel! :)

Thank you all for you calming me down a bit! I called the store back and they are going to check daily with my designer to see when it's going to be shipped. At least I know that David's Bridal has dresses in my area, if all else fails I'll have to get the one I saw there and see about selling the other one when it eventually gets here.I really don't want to have to do that though.

From what the lady told me they make the dresses based on wedding date not when the order was placed. She said most designers are the same way, so I'd be in a similar situation. I'm also worried because my bridesmaids ordered their dresses from the same designer,hopefully it'll all work out. The store suggested I call back in August to get an update on my order. :(

I feel so lucky. I got my dress from David's Bridal and took it home that day. I am too much of a control freak to wait that long for a dress.

We had a real horror story in my area. A local bridal shop closed and left a bunch of brides without their dresses! David's gave them like 30% off a new dress and attire for their bridal party. I thought that was cool. Can you imagine paying for a dress and then finding out that you weren't going to get it? I'd hang someone!!!

Are you talking about Riverside Gown Shop in Jacksonville? I haven't bought my dress yet, but my mom kept saying I should go there because it would be "better" than David's Bridal. She flipped out when I called & told her what happened. They have been there forever too...just goes to show you never know what may happen.

Meeko....just try to be calm. You still have some time to work with. Don't cross that bridge of panic yet. Most likely your dress will show up in time and you won't have anything to worry about. :)

Yep, the one in Riverside. Are you from Jax also? I live on the Southside. I never even went to that shop, but a friend of mine got her dress there. David's was the second place I went to (first was Jessica Stevens). I saw my dress on their website and knew it was the one, and even after trying on a dozen or so dresses I was set on that one. So David's was fine for me. :)

I purchased my dress from Davids Bridal. I went ahead and left the dress there for alterations, I was told to check back in 2 months. After checking back, the dress was still not altered, so I got a new date. I called to verify it was ready, still not ready. So needless to say, a total of 4 months went by before I was told to come pick it up. When arrived(Friday evening around 6:30) My dress was altered, but not pressed, was terribly wrinkled. SO after I got the dress on, My MOH noticed a tear in the train. The lady who does the alterations came over and looked it over, it actually fit very Nice but was not pressed and ready to go. She asked me if I could come pick it up on another day, so they could press it. I wasn't having it, being as though I was told it was ready, and I drove over an hour to pick it up. SO we went to dinner, came back and it was ready. It looked very neat and pressed in the bag, I'm going to get it out this weekend and check it over again. Will probably invest in a portable steamer to take along. So Ladies, its key to give plenty of time, you never know what could happen!!!P.S. I was given the excuse that they had other brides who were getting married before me that needed their dresses first. Not to be RUDE, but if we go out of our way to get our dresses early, then the ones who wait till the last minute should not take our place in line, WHAT IF we had bridal pictures scheduled, LOL! Anyway, I'm sure you all get my point. I'm just glad it is in the closet.

I hope everyones dresses arrive soon!

I was in David's Bridal this past weekend and there was a bride who had come to pick up the gown she ordered. Apparently she ordered her perfect size, and someone at David's changed her order and ordered a larger size - forcing her to have to get alterations, where before they weren't needed. One of the sales associates pulled their records to verify the order and sure enough, the bride had ordered a smaller size than what was sent. Needless to say, that bride was livid!

I was reading on another wedding board that there are some bridal boutiques that purposely do this sort of thing to force you to have to pay for alterations.

I had a totally different experience at David's Bridal. I actually chose my dress about 5 months before the wedding. But since I hoped to lose some weight, I wanted to wait until closer to my wedding date to deterime what size to order. David's was really accomodating. About six weeks later (and two dress sizes smaller!), I ordered my dress. It arrived in about 4 weeks, and I was able to schedule fittings close to my wedding date so that the final fitting would be at my "wedding weight". In the end, the only alternation needed was to hem the dress. No one tried to talk me into ordering a larger size to get more alternation money from me, and they were very accomodating about my wish not to order the dress too far in advance.

On a good note, I talked to one of the ladies through the company I ordered my dress from. She says that it should to them sometime next week and that I should get it sometime the week after.

I wonder if I have a note on my file...because she told me she saw that I had called everyday to check on the dress....oh well, as long as it gets here. :)

Congrats to everyone!!!

I purchased my dress from a bridal shop that was going out of business. I got it for dirt cheap and it's beautiful so I'm very happy about that. However, it is about 4 sizes too big and way to long. I called the seamstress that the bridal shop recommended in my area. She keeps telling me that I need to wait until the end of September to bring the dress in for alterations.... the wedding is mid October! I am feeling a little stressed out about that because what if something happens and I need to buy a new dress for whatever reason?! What if I hate it after the alterations are done? I realize that my weight may change if it's done too far in advance so what is a good time frame here? Any suggestions??

I finnaly got my dress...Yea:D ...except I am really short...5' and the dress is ultra long..and all the detail is at the bottom so I have to alter it a lot..the lace work at the bottom is easy to take off.....so I want to have the train taken off and have them make me a bolero jacket with the extra fabric...I recently lost a lot of weight and am still loosing... I hate the way my arms look so that is the reason for the jacket...the dress is a beautiful but so much needs to be done....Should I wait to have the alterations done..? My wedding is December 28th. My mom freaked when I bought the dress... she wanted me to take it back...since it needs to be altered so much...and she thinks what I want done is to major... I exsplained that no mater what dress I get there will be alterations...I just hope I didn't waste 500.00 on a dress that wont work out...I was so happy I found a dress...but then after talking to my mom...I was in tears...:(

Wow, I'm sorry to hear that! I would be very frustrated, too.

I ordered my dress back in February and the delivery date is beginning of September (the wedding is Nov. 23). I thought it was crazy that it would take so long, but I bet the manufacturer is doing the same thing to me, I just didn't know it.

I'm worried about alterations, too. They encouraged me to round up a size when ordering and now I've lost some weight. I'm worried about the bust being enormous and them NOT being able to do alterations so that it looks right.

I guess there is always something to worry about so I'm trying not to even think about it. :) I just can't wait until it gets here and is in my clutches!

Since they have probably not actually started making your dress yet, maybe you can get remeasured and order your new size?

Yay, freakout crises is over for me. My wedding dress came today! Woohoo!! :) I now need to go get it hemmed though. Anyone have any ideas on good arm exercises to reduce the flabby outer arm part?

YAY is right! :D I'm happy that your dress finally arrived.

Ah..the "old lady bat wings"! lol That's the good ol' tricep muscle, which is hard to hit. Try doing some tricep kickback reps. Using the weight of dumbbells you are comfortable with, hold your arms like you're going to march, elbow at a right angle. Then while turning your palms face up, stretch your arms back behind you. Even doing it without weights, you'll feel that muscle working.

You also might want to put in some bicep curls to balance everything out. You don't want to end up with nice, toned triceps but not so buff biceps! :) The tricep is the antagonist to the bicep, so even while working the biceps, your triceps will work as well but it won't be an isolated exercise like the kickback will.

Hope this helps! :)

Archived