How Long From Ship to Beach?

Rowan555

We're planning on a relaxing, low key beach day in Progreso with our young kids. My daughter sometimes gets overstimulated and needs to "chill out" for a bit, so we were thinking of heading to the beach (the one within walking distance of the pier) from 9 to 11, then maybe returning to the ship for lunch and to relax in the room for thirty minutes, then heading back out to the beach for another hour or two after lunch.

So my question is - how long does it take from the time you exit the ship to when the bus drops you off at the foot of the pier (and vice versa)? I'm wondering if my plan might be a little impractical due to the length of the pier and the travel time getting to and from the ship. Any words of wisdom would be much appreciated.

Thanks!

We have taken the free bus from the ship to the marketplace close to the beach and passed the beach on the way. Probably takes 5-10 minutes. The pier is about 4-5 miles long so the bus ride is very short. Hope this is what you wanted. There may be others who have visited the beach that can give you more information about the beach area. Here is a link to a picture of the long pier from the beach area to give you an idea how long it is. The ship is docked at the end of the pier: http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid177/pe55cb520b97e2dd1b1b7ad03305099ae/f352796f.jpg

Travelgirl

Thanks! I think we'll have a big breakfast and then just play it by ear. If we can just stay at the beach and hang out, that's what we'll do. If we need to head back to the ship for a break, it looks like we can do that without too many problems.

I'm really looking forward to visiting Progreso even though we will just be doing a little shopping and hanging out on the beach. It will still be a nice, relaxing day in a place we've never been before.

We have been to Progreso three times and really like the town although twice we have taken excursions to Merida and Uxmal. Sounds like you have a nice relaxing day planned. Here is another link to a picture of the beach I took out the bus window: http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid177/p86dee8db054d78f73c05574fb65673f6/f3527921.jpg

Hope you have a great cruise. Travelgirl

We were just there Friday. Personally take a tour don't plan on a beach day here. The beach & town are dirty & stink. We did not feel comfortable walking from the bus to the beach. We did a beach day at Playa Del Carmen, what a differance. Thank goodness we had taken a tour & went to see the beach. The straw market next to the bus drop off is nice.

Archived