Part 2 of my long review VOS 07/16/04

DAY 1, Embarkation and leaving Cape Liberty (Bayonne), NJ:

So, the day to leave comes. We have a friend drive us to the Bus Station in Easton, PA. The bus was scheduled to arrive at 12:30PM. RCL asked that we arrive, at least, 30 minutes before hand. Based on some postings, the bus has been known to arrive as much as 15 minutes early. So, we arrive at 11:50AM.

The Bus Station in Easton, PA has recently moved. It is now in a very small storefront located diagonally across from the old (currently closed) Easton Hotel. We found out our bus would stop in front of the hotel. So, we dragged our suitcases across the street and waited. It was at this point we realized we had forgotten a corkscrew. I ran across and down the street to the local state liquor store and found one for about $4. I threw it into a suitcase that I didn’t mind if it got searched.

BTW, I had sealed each of the suitcases that were to be checked in with colored wire wraps (purchased at Wal-Mart). White ones can be easily obtained. Florescent colored ones are harder to find. If someone were to open a suitcase, I would know.

The bus ended up arriving on time at 12:30PM. We were the only ones getting on at that stop; however, there were many people already on the bus from previous stops. We were able to meet some of the people we had been already talking to on the CruiseCritic Boards because previous posts asking if anyone else would be on the bus (c breeze, treacher).

The suitcases to be checked in went under the bus, and our carry-on went on the bus with us. Because the bus was only a little over half full, it was not a problem to throw our suitcase onto a seat.

The bus was a little warm (limited A/C). We found out later, that due to complaints from some of the riders, the driver had opened up the roof hatches. It helped (a little).

The bus took us to I-78, to the New Jersey Turnpike, to Exit 14A, Bayonne. We could see the ship from the turnpike. The bus followed the signs to the Ship Terminal. This meant we took several turns until we ended up on State Route 440 heading towards Bayonne and the Bayonne Bridge. A short distance down, we took a left turn into the former military base, and now Cape Liberty Ship Terminal.

(For those of you who may want to consider taking Mass Transit, there is a Train Station located across the street from the entrance to the ship terminal area. I don’t know anything about this train, but it is the one that provides commuter service to Bayonne. If you take this train, you will need to cross the street to the entrance, then wait for a bus. Our bus stopped and offered to pick up anyone needing a ride to the terminal.)

After passing security, the bus went down a long two-way road, past the ship. Eventually, we started to drive between some big buildings. The traffic coming the other way had split off. With only one-way traffic, we ended up making a left turn around the building and stopped. Traffic to drop off passengers was going to the left, and people parking cars were going to the right. But, at that moment, shortly after 2PM, we were going nowhere.

After waiting for a little while, we started to move, and found out why we had stopped: The people directing traffic had only allowed enough traffic through so that people could unload their cars of suitcases and people without overcrowding the drop-off area.

As we rounded the building to the left (again), traffic was divided between cars (on the left), and busses (on the right and next to the main terminal building). Tents provided some shelter for the car unloading area. Our bus, and several others, was lead down to bus parking spaces. We were told to remain on the bus for a few minutes.

After a short time, someone wearing a ‘Porter’ button unloaded the suitcases from under the bus. Someone came on the bus and told us to claim our bags. We could have a porter take our bags, but the bags must have a RCL baggage ticket on it (it came with our RCL booklet), or one must be made up and attached. We were also told the porters were to be paid a $2 per bag tip.

Once we were allowed to leave the bus, we identified to the porter our 4 bags, and paid the tip. We then went to the terminal with our carry-on. We had to wait in line to get in. As we entered, we were told to turn off our cell phones, and there are to be no pictures.

Once inside, we found there were two lines. The short one to the right was for deluxe suite and Platinum Anchor and Crown members. The long one to the left was for the rest of us. Both lines were stop and go due to the backlog after the x-ray machines and metal detectors. (Not because of them.) It did not take an exceptional amount of time before we got through and into the next room. We ended up in a large group line across the back of the room. As we approached the corner, someone would split us up between the large suite and Platinum Crown and Anchor members (straight to another room), and the rest of us. At this time, we were given new Bahamas immigration forms. We were told the old manila cards ones were no good, and we had to use the new computer readable ones. The line then split into several different lines based on the deck your stateroom was on. Ours, being on Deck 7, was a very short one. The one for Deck 6 was backed up pretty far.

We were able to make it to a person at the check-in desk while only having to wait a relatively short time. We were handled very quickly (registering our credit card for charging), and received our SeaPass card with our room number and dinner table assignment. We proceeded around behind the check-in desk and found ourselves faced with the ship’s photographers. We quickly got our picture taken, then looked around the room. The room was fairly large, and was designed to seat a lot of people waiting to board the ship. According to a paper we received on arrival, there had been a jazz band and balloon artists here. Apparently, most everyone had left. We walked directly over to the doorway to the bus. There was a sign that made mention about waiting until you are called, but that was not necessary at this time. We walked right onto a bus and sat down. After a few minutes, and a few more passengers, the bus left the terminal and drove to the ship. It dropped us off right next to the ship. Tents had been setup to protect us from the elements. Depending on which end of the bus you got off from you went in one of two different gangplanks, and onto the ship on Deck 1.

To enter the ship, we had to have our SeaPass card. The crew would take our picture and it would be recorded onto the magnetic stripe of the card. We then proceeded to the elevators on Deck 1-Aft. Both Port and Starboard elevators were made available. (To get to the Port elevators required crossing the ship’s main service walkway. They call it I-95, and it goes from aft to stern.)

We made it up to our deck, and to our room: #7253. It was now before 3PM, and the room was ready for us. (Hmm, less than an hour from arrival to our stateroom. That sounded pretty good to me!)

We had decided to save money and go for an interior cabin. We chose a Promenade room so it would have a window and a view. We chose Deck 7 so we wouldn’t be just above the stores and bars (Deck #6), and not so high because of my fear of heights (Deck #8). We were also told the rooms at the aft end of the Promenade would not have a view of the parades. This is correct. The last group of rooms overlooks the staircase down, and the Centrum opening up to the top of the ship. (It ends up our room was directly over where the members of the parade would enter and exit the Promenade. We got to see the parade director instruct the members when they should join the parade.)

So, here it was, 3PM, and we decided to check out the ship. There had been music and prizes on the Promenade from1PM until 3PM, but we had just missed it.

see part 3.

Archived