Bonine-morning Or Nite?

LANDLADY

I've never had any problems taking Bonine (or Dramamine) and drinking alcohol. In fact, it seems to help with not getting that icky alcohol feeling. I've always taken my motion sick meds very first thing in the morning, and then again right before dinner if I think I need it. But with that said, everyone is different so try it at home first to see if it affects you differently.

If I take a bonine and drink even one drink I am out for the night. I usually take one right before bed and sleep like a baby. I think the effect is supposed to last 24 hours so I only take one a day unless the sea is extremely turbulent. I usually only take them for the first couple of days until I get my sea legs.

Kelly

I will take mine the night before the cruise.. so my system will be ready for the change.. I will also drink very little the first day.. Not a lot of liquid until I get my sea legs.. this was the reccomendation of an officer on one of our cruises..

He said tourists come aboard.. no seasick meds in them working.. Load up on the fun drinks before sail.. and get very sick once the ship is out to sea..

Visualize all that liquid sloshing back and forth... thats what does it..

leejoo_matroos_misselijk.gif

I took just one a day right before I went to bed. I took my first pill Saturday night before we left on Sunday! I never got sick one time and I get sea sick real easy and there were times I could really feel that boat moving.

I guess it doesn't matter. I always take mine in the a.m. because I am so busy at night I am afraid I will forget it. I don't take it at all the days we are in port.

I have been told you can take Ginger and it works good for sea sickness, but I've never been told how much Ginger to take. I went to the health food store and they have a variety of strengths.

Happy Cruising!

Had a travel agent tell me about this stuff before I went on my first cruise. I was so afraid I would be sick, as I have motion sickness pretty bad. Well, she said start taking it the day before you get on the boat. That's what we did, took it every morning, and we have been on two more cruises since, and have had no problem. The first cruise we were on, there were several people who had to go to sick bay and get shots, but we were okay. Never have had a problem with it as far as drowiness. We are moderate drinkers and have never had any trouble with that either. It is great stuff!!!!

Thank you Newbie. My DW can get a little motion sick. This cruise was my idea and she is worried about being sick all of the time. I will tell her about the Bonine.

Shane

i was worried too as I suffer from vertigo, but all was fine. the last day we were having decent waves and I loved it. Ive never slept better in my life! the only time I felt slightly weird wa when we had first taken off and I was sitting on the lido deck letting my son splash in the pool area. I looked out the big windows and noticed how far up and down the horizon was moving. I just looked awya and was fine. Beware thought your dw may become addicted :)

Sledman, you can also get the non-chewable kind of bonine, they're little itty bitty pills that go down easy. You can get them at Walmart, but you have to ask the pharmacyist for them, they're not on the shelves. If I remember right, they cost about $4-5 for a bottle of 100. I Just took one each night and NEVER had any problems.

I highly recommend taking it right before you go to sleep too. A friend and I both took them the morning of boarding. We took a nap that afternoon before dinner. Went to late dinner and went back to the room for a "power" nap before the singles get-together late that night to find ourselves waking up at dawn the next day! We missed our entire first night of our cruise because of those drowsy meds. We haven't taken them again and been fine, thank goodness, but for those who need it, we definitely recommend taking before you go to bed at night.

Im looking at my box of Bonine and it says to take 1 to 2 tablets daily. Do most people take two to be on the safe side or just one?

I am not particularly prone to motion sickness, but then again I have never been on a ship or boat of any kind for extended periods of time...

What about the ginger pills? Anyone tried these? What "strength" or concentration have you used? I have found what is called "fingerprinted ginger" and "concentrated ginger". No clue what the difference is! :confused:

I assume its safe to take the bonine and ginger together, right?

Thanks everyone!

Carey

I take one Bonine and first thing in the morning. One time on the last night of the cruise, I took it at dinner and then drank wine. After dinner I couldn't stay awake and had to go to bed and I had early dinner!! I was not happy since this was the last night of the cruise! :D

Well I'll add my 2 cents.

I take one the night before the cruise to get it started in my system. Then I take one about 2 hours before the ship sails.

After that one every night at bed time.

I can't say how really well they work with rough seas, we've been lucky with smooth sailings so far.

Archived