Anyone going soon?

Thinking about Progresso and wondering what it cost to hire a driver from the pier to take us to the centoes in Cuzama. If anyone is going soon, would you mind asking a driver and letting me know the cost. Carnival doesn't offer a trip, or I can't find it.

I have previously done the bus, but won't do that again!

Thanks!

Thinking about Progresso and wondering what it cost to hire a driver from the pier to take us to the centoes in Cuzama. If anyone is going soon, would you mind asking a driver and letting me know the cost. Carnival doesn't offer a trip, or I can't find it.

I have previously done the bus, but won't do that again!

Thanks!

How many person in your party? Taxi fares depend of number of person, if 4 or less is a car, if 5 to 10 is a van. I'll let you know next wednesday.

There will be 2 in the party.

Thank you so much!

I spoke to the taxi drivers and told me that a taxi cost to cuzama is US$120 PER CAR, if you want to do this tour we recomend you to take off earliest as possible (1.30 hr each way) lets say between 7.30 to 8.30 am, so you can be the first taking the carriages. the cuzama wells or "cenotes" are 5, the first three are comfortable to swim at, last two are kind of dificult to get into the caves, but safe. the trip through the cenotes is for about 2.30 hrs to 3 hrs. The cost for the carriage tour to the cenotes is for US$15 per carriage. take drinking water with you. Have fun!

Thanks so much for this information. I'm going down there on Monday and am strongly thinking about doing this. My ship gets into port at 7 a.m. and leaves at 4 p.m. Will that give me enough time to do this tour. Also, what about food? One more thing, is the taxi cost round trip or one way?

Thanks so much for this information. I'm going down there on Monday and am strongly thinking about doing this. My ship gets into port at 7 a.m. and leaves at 4 p.m. Will that give me enough time to do this tour. Also, what about food? One more thing, is the taxi cost round trip or one way?

Definitively you will have time enough, just try to take the taxi as early as you can (7.30 to 8 am is fine), the cost is for the round trip, the driver waits for you at cuzama and bring you back to the ship, they already know about the departure time and is at the pier before that time. The food is an issue, try to have breakfast before and get a box lunch for every one of you and water, we don't want you to get sick trying food you are not used to. Prepare your camera and have fun.

Okla. Wondering why I should avoid the shopping district in Merida?

I vacation in Merida and the Yucatan State every year for two weeks. I shop everywhere including the Mercado. What in the world am I missing?

Which shopping district? It's a city of one million.

Okla. Wondering why I should avoid the shopping district in Merida?

I vacation in Merida and the Yucatan State every year for two weeks. I shop everywhere including the Mercado. What in the world am I missing?

Which shopping district? It's a city of one million.

I was wondering the same thing have not heard one bad word about Merida yet. Please fill us in.

Last year we went on a tour of the Merida shopping district. First, they said it wi[ould take 30 minutes to get there. Actually it took the driver 1 hr, driving at 100 mph, literally. We asked to be taken to the Merida shopping district. The shopping district he took us to was in an extremely poor area. He said it was the Merida shopping District. We were the only Americans, or for that matter, the only tourists there. The streets were packed. No one knew any English and we did not feel safe. I think our saving grace was only in the fact that we did not pay our driver until we were back at the port. I truly believe if we had paid him earlier, we would have been left there in the shopping district. The vendor who provided the shopping trip was right in the midst of all the other vendors at the port. All I can remember about who they were was that they had an area in the corner and their prices were displayed in red letters on a white background. Next time we will rent a car, if we can.

Absolutly no reason to take a tour to enjoy Merida. Local bus runs every 15 minutes ($3.00 RT) and the Merida bus terminal is three blocks from the central plaza in the middle of the historical area. I have posted information about the Progreso stop and specifically Merida probably over a hundred times on this board. Even posted pics on the thread "hi guys" by host mach which is probably on page three of this board. Check post number 12 of that thread. Merida is so safe that most street cops don't even carry sidearms. Most people in the Yucatan are warm and friendly but it is a foreign culture and Spanish is their language. Although I vacation there, I don't speak more than six phrases in Spanish and have no problems. Good food (not texmex), good beers and great coffee everywhere.

Last year we went on a tour of the Merida shopping district. First, they said it wi[ould take 30 minutes to get there. Actually it took the driver 1 hr, driving at 100 mph, literally. We asked to be taken to the Merida shopping district. The shopping district he took us to was in an extremely poor area. He said it was the Merida shopping District. We were the only Americans, or for that matter, the only tourists there. The streets were packed. No one knew any English and we did not feel safe. I think our saving grace was only in the fact that we did not pay our driver until we were back at the port. I truly believe if we had paid him earlier, we would have been left there in the shopping district. The vendor who provided the shopping trip was right in the midst of all the other vendors at the port. All I can remember about who they were was that they had an area in the corner and their prices were displayed in red letters on a white background. quote]

What a shame you didn't feel safe on your past trip to Merida. The trip to Merida by car is 10 min from the ship's pier to downtown progreso (it is a 4.5 miles long pier, and velocity is regulated by authorities). Then from Progreso to Merida is about 30 min, maybe the point with the 100 mph you noticed is because the velocity panel into the cars in Mexico are on Kilometers per hour and not Miles (1 Mile=1.5 km), it would explain why the 1-hr-long trip. As Hdawson say, Merida is a safe place to visit and maybe the "shopping district" you were taken to was the market, this is where people not only from Merida city, but nearby towns, make their daily shopping and english is not a must for vendors.

People up the port next to the ship's pier have federal authorization to be there offering services and they sell taxi services because most of the taxi drivers don't speak english, you can ask for one who does and they get it.

Taxi services are all paid at the return, they will never ask for payment till they take you back to the ship. Hopefully you will have a better time with the rental car. Regards.

• 2 months later...

Archived