Question for Hdawson....or anyone

We would like to take a land vacation near Progreso because we have just fallen in love with this part of Mexico on our cruises.

Here's the problem: Flights from Austin to Merida run around $500 to $600 round trip. But flights from Austin to Cancun are $156 round trip on Vivaaerobus.

My question is...is there an easy way (bus or van service) to get us from Cancun to Progreso (Telchac Puerto actually) without deleting the money we'll be saving by flying into Cancun? There will be about 6-8 of us. Also, the length of the ride isn't important, we're not looking to save time as we are planning to relax for a whole week.

Thanks a bunch to anyone who can help :)

P.S.: I've been searching the internet but haven't come up with anything that jumps out at me as viable.

The best bet would probably be to rent a car in Cancun, maybe at the airport. One way rental to Merida. Avis comes to mind. Then a pretty long bus ride to Telchec. Reef Yucatan is a beautiful resort but the food is just ok. Drinks are very good. Great way to NOT experience the local culture.

Hi H. We were planning to rent a house for a week. Reef Club looks waaaayyyyy too touristy for us. We're more the adventurous type. We don't mind walking or bike riding or hopping a bus and seeing where it takes us. Just one port call day in Progreso isn't enough to do all that we want to do i.e.: A couple of days in Merida, maybe some Yucatecan cooking classes, Celestun, San Cristano mangroves, etc.

Btw we will be enjoying Le Saint Bonnet on Sept 9 on another cruise if you happen to be down there then. Come and break bread (fish?) and say hi.

The best bet would probably be to rent a car in Cancun, maybe at the airport. One way rental to Merida. Avis comes to mind. Then a pretty long bus ride to Telchec. Reef Yucatan is a beautiful resort but the food is just ok. Drinks are very good. Great way to NOT experience the local culture.

Have to agree with H on Reef Yucatan. Good Pina Colas but the food wasn't that good and I am a fajita junkie. If you really want to experience the local culture grab a few collectivos for transportation. It is a cheap and neat way to travel.

P.S. I wish that I could go to Le Saint Bennoit with ya.

The ADO UNO bus from Cancun to Merida is VERY comfortable. A/C, bathrooms, etc.

Take the shuttle bus from the Cancun airport to the bus terminal downtown (only $4US a person, compared to $40US in a taxi). Perhaps spend the night in Merida and enjoy the city, then head to the beach. Or, rent a car in Merida and have an easy drive up to the coast. You will want to have a car if ou are renting in Telchac for shopping and sightseeing.

If you feel like being a tourist one day, you can always buy a day- at the Reef.

Archived