Dzibilchaltun - Uxmal - Xcambo, which one?

I have been searching the boards page after page and I am even more confused. My 15 year old DS really wants to see ruins, my DH wants beach time and I want shopping. We are on a budget so I'm trying to get the most bang for the buck.

I think Xcambo is the smallest and may not be really enough to enjoy. Anyone know the cost of just going to these for transportation? Is this the ruins included with the AutoProgresso tour with Reef Yucatan for $45.00 pp? (This would give DS and DH want they want. With that price I figured it might be about the same price as doing on my own, since it does include lunch.)

Uxmal - Anyone know cost with AutoProgresso or taxi? How long it takes? Entrance Price? I assume I would still have time to go to the beaches on our own and back to the market.

Dzibilchaltun - Looks closer than Uxmal. For that reason I think now I'm kinda leaning towards this one. :confused: Anyone know the cost with AutoProgresso or taxi? How long does it take? Entrance Price?

I'm trying to get all the information I can in one thread. My head is spinning for reading and reviews so many threads. Help - I'm so confused:eek:

Pamela

The Autoprogreso tour to the reef Yucatan doe sinclue an optional visit to Xcambo. Xcambo is a small site, but you can climb the pyramids and it is really very pretty. Read more here: http://www.yucatantoday.com/destinations/eng-xcambo.htm

Dzibilchaltun is only about 20 minutes away from Progreso, so you would have plenty of time after the tour to enjoy the beach. It does have a small, interesting museum about the Mayan culture and a cenote.

http://www.yucatantoday.com/destinations/eng-dzibilchaltun.htm

Uxmal is about 2 hours away, so with the travel time, you wouldn't have any time on the beach. Many consider it better than Chichen Itza! http://www.yucatantoday.com/destinations/eng-uxmal.htm

• 2 weeks later...

Homeschool Mom- This is what I have found on these sites. Xcambo is included in the Reef Yucatan trip of $45. You have about 45 min at the ruins and then the remainder time at the Reef Yucatan. The total time for the trip is 3 hours.

Dzibilchaltun is $29 if booked through autoprogreso. I think on your own it's $12 to get in, plus money for a guide and then the taxi there and back. I don't remember exactly how much the taxi rides were but there are posts on here with people talking about it.

I hope that helps a little bit. Good luck!

I've been to Chichen Itza once and Uxmal twice. Uxmal is my favorite by far. Prettier, more impressive and way way less crowded. How often do you get the chance to visit what was a major city one thousand four hundred years ago?

We just got back from a cruise that had a surprise stop in Progreso. Because we didn't know we were headed there until the night before we had to book through the cruise line, CCL, in this case. We went to the Dzibilchaltun Mayan Ruins.

I must say that I really enjoyed them. The Temple of the Dolls is really neat, and they have a cenote you can swim in. It's really refreshing after spending the morning in the sun exploring the ruins. They also have a very nice museum there as well.

This was something we weren't expecting to do (we thought we'd be in Belize at Altun Ha), but that we all really liked nonetheless. I highly recommend it to anyone.

I know that our tour was 4.5 hours and was $50. That was also through the cruiseline, so I'm sure you can find it cheaper elsewhere.

Have fun with whatever you choose. :)

We just got back from a cruise that had a surprise stop in Progreso. Because we didn't know we were headed there until the night before we had to book through the cruise line, CCL, in this case. We went to the Dzibilchaltun Mayan Ruins.

I must say that I really enjoyed them. The Temple of the Dolls is really neat, and they have a cenote you can swim in. It's really refreshing after spending the morning in the sun exploring the ruins. They also have a very nice museum there as well.

This was something we weren't expecting to do (we thought we'd be in Belize at Altun Ha), but that we all really liked nonetheless. I highly recommend it to anyone.

I know that our tour was 4.5 hours and was $50. That was also through the cruiseline, so I'm sure you can find it cheaper elsewhere.

Have fun with whatever you choose. :)

I booked this tour for our cruise in November. We are in port from 7a to 3p. Our tour is 9a - 1p. I was hoping to have a little time to shop before/after. Do they bring you back to the ship or to the pier?

Archived