Cenotes in Cuzama

ldawg

Hey guys!

I stop for one day in Progresso/Merida on Ecstasy on Dec 15th. I am hoping to check out the cenotes outside of Cuzama by taking the local truks. Has anyone done this before? I am not concerned about getting there, but more the timing. Only have 8 hours in port. Looks like it is about an hour on bus from the dock to Merida, another hour on bus from Merida to Cuzama. Cenotes tour is ~3 hours (I gathered this from the message boards), then another 2 hours by bus back to the boat.

My main question is would it be easier to rent a car and drive straight to Cuzama? Seems we could circumvent Merida and save some time.

Thanks for your help in advance!

I've been to the cenotes (in Cuzama) twice now. I would hesitate to drive there on your own, only because the two times I've been with my mother driving (she lives in Merida) we got slightly lost both times. I must say though, I think she is directionally challenged! LOL... She speaks Spanish pretty well and was able to get directions along the way, but if you don't speak Spanish and get lost, it might be more stressful than it's worth! That being said, the Cuzama cenotes are AMAZING!! Time wise, I think you would be ok. Maybe you can find someone cheap to take you directly from Progreso to Cuzama.

Thanks so much for both of your help! The pictures I've seen are amazing, I can't wait to check them out. I can speak a little Spanish, but it may be best to hire a cab. Have either of you heard about Autoprogresso doing tours out there?

• 2 years later...

Do it!!! I was there last week, and it is absolutely do-able with 8 hours. We rented a jeep for $80 (walk at least a block from where Autoprogreso drops you off from the pier). The drive was an hour and a half, as long as you absolutely DO NOT get off the highway in Merida -- use Google maps before you leave to print out directions. Once you get to the cenotes, if you tell them how much time you have, they are very good about respecting it and getting you back in time. We were concerned about cutting it close, so we told them it was very important to keep the trip to 2 hours. They had us back 15 minutes early. It's a self-guided tour once you get off of the horse and rickshaw at each cenote, so you decide how long to swim and take pictures.

This was the best part of our trip, and everyone we talked to about our day at the port in Progreso was envious of our trip. The people in the small towns you'll pass through on the way are so friendly and helpful, as long as you speak the bare minimum Spanish, you'll have no troubles. And don't be afraid of Mexican police; they were all very nice to us.

Have safe and adventurous travels!

Archived