What to do with a group of 18 yr. olds in Progreso?

ShannonP

I've been assigned the duty of planning my daughter's Sr. cruise with 11 of her friends...both boys and girls.:rolleyes:

I'm trying to find excursions that will satisfy the kids, as well as the parents.

I've heard that the beaches in Progreso aren't great, and we really don't want to turn the kids lose on motorcyles or anything...good Lord, can you imagine?:eek:

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Hi Shannon! I, too, am planning my son's sr. cruise with 17 seniors. When I asked them what they wanted to do, they all answered "Hang around the beach" so that is what we are doing. We are going to ride the double-decker bus and then, maybe shop in the local market, and then find a place on the beach. They want to have a beach massage and check out the local beer:eek: so we'll find somewhere with good service and good food. When are you going and on what ship?

You might consider a day trip to the Hotel Reef Yucatan. Some tours have an optional stop at Xcambo, a small Mayan ruins. The hotel is all-inclusive, has beach sports, great pools, etc. Jeep tours are also available. For something else different, La Ria has kayaking in the mangroves. Check out our article here:http://www.yucatantoday.com/destinations/eng-progreso-cruise-ship.htm

You might even plan two events and let them choose which they want to sign up to do. Some may want to explore Mayan ruins from the sixth century and some the beach or the large Spanish colonial city of Merida. Soooooo many choices.

Shannon. There is nothing wrong with the Progreso beach. It's long and wide. However, it doesn't have the chrystal clear water of the Caribbean. The Yucatan sits on a massive limestone shelf, the reason for the 4.5 mile (6 km) pier. The water is shallow for quite a ways out and the very small wave action keeps the water stirred up making it murky. And sometimes there may be some seaweed along the water's edge. Plenty of restaurants across the Malecon (seaside street) with really good food and they will serve you on the beach.

At that age, and especially if they come from a cold, non-beach place like Iowa or Ontario, they probably want to have beer and lie around in the sun, for the most part. Progreso is excellent for that.

Depending on their personality types, they may hate the idea of doing something 'cultural' like visiting Mayan ruins and colonial Merida. The kayaking option might keep them entertained and out of trouble and going to the all-inclusive hotel is not a bad idea either. Renting the mopeds will be fun and might be safer than other ports, although there are no guarantees... :)

It's a tough crowd to please and as a Dad, I can sympathize! :D

Thanks for the responses. We are sailing the Carnival Fantasy out of New Orleans (our hometown) in late June. Our ports are Cozumel and Progreso. I've been to Cozumel and spent a week in Playa del Carmen (love that place), so I'm somewhat familiar with those areas. Progreso is completely new to me, and honestly, I've not heard a lot of positive things.

We may do the Twister/Passion Island excursion in Cozumel...not sure yet.

I can't imagine them wanting to tour the ruins....they only have a few weeks during the summer (before college) when they don't have to learn anything, ya know? :rolleyes:

Looks like I've got a lot of research to do for Progreso. Personally, I'd like to just wing it.

Shannon. There are many positive posts on this board about stopping in Progeso. It is not at all like the phony glitz and and over-touristed Cancun, Cozumel, boardertowns and the like. The Yucatan state is authentic, modern yet historic Mexico. Not fancy. Not totally dependent on tourism. Merida is the state capitol and home to four universities. Population about one million and archetecture dating from the mid 1500s.

We're going with our senior class on May 30th. We are basically winging it, as you said. There may be some Moms who want to do something different and that's ok. Some of the kids may want to go with them. My main rule is that no kid can go off without a chaperone, even if there is more than one of them together - they must have a chaperone with them! Whether they are sitting on the beach or going on a tour. You'll figure something out! Have Fun!!!

Shannon P ,

I am on the boards too, looking for things for 18 year olds in Progresso, so I open this thread and there is our trip planner!!!:)

Hope we get some good input, I looked at the Twister/Passion Island excursion in Cozumel and it looks great- I think the kids would like it

Archived