Tour of Merida

ladycajun

I am planning to take a van to Dzibilchaltun and then Merida. Once in Merida should we take a tour bus around the city or get the cab driver to drive us around. I would think the bus would be nice for the narration but I don't want to have to look for a ride back to progresso. would the driver wait in a certain place and then we can just tour on our own, looks like most of the stuff is close except for the Paseo de Montejo, is this boulevard walkable from the main around Plaza Mayor, or is it too far?
We will be on the Elation Thanksgiving cruise, we have to be back on board at 3:30.
Thanks, Chris

I don't recall seeing any Merida tour busses. Doesn't mean there aren't any. Merida is very easy to do on your own. Visit the historical area and because of limited time, grab a taxi to Paseo Montejo for a stroll on the blvd. The bus terminal in Merida (to Progreso) is only 3 blocks from Plaza Mayor, on Calle 60.

• 1 month later...
Does any one know if there is horse back in Progreso? Sounds like Taxi is not hard to find.Seems like all the western carribean port have almost the same tour.I would like to do the Ruins and wild life in Belize,I would like to do the Scuba diving in Cozumel.How about shopping in progresso? is it good shopping
You know ladies like to shop.We would like to do the horse back riding if there is any,And after a little tour of the City.Do any one know if the Taxi is air condition.
R.P.

Funpinkard. I think you will find that Progreso and Merida are not at all like other Caribbean ports. Merida is one of the prettiest and most interesting cities I've seen. Very large (900,000) and historic. Also a very safe and clean city with a great people that are proud of their culture and history.

Will there be transportations like taxi cab to take me around the city.
Sounds pretty nice.That is what I was looking for.Do you know what is the cost of cabs.
And thanks for informations. :) I will take a tour of the City.
I will be cruising in Jan.
R.P.

• 1 month later...
I just got back from my cruise and did the Merida tour on 2/3. It's makes you thankful for what you have. As soon as you step off the bus in Merida there are people there trying to sell you stuff, they are pretty persistent and if it's something your not interested in just walk away.

Also, make sure you stay with your group!!! While we were walking from the big church they take you through to another building we went through this little park that had some vendors and I decided to stop and look at the things being sold and the tour group kept going. When I turned around they were gone and I couldn't find them. Luckily I found someone and stuck to them like glue. He works on the Carnival Glory and was on the tour with us, he was my lifesavor. I thought I was going to be sold into slavery in Mexico.

if you talk to the people when you first get off the shuttle that takes you from the pier they can tell you how to get to Merida. we took the bus to Merida and had no idea when to get off...so we waited until the last stop...luckily it was a bus station that we were supposed to be on. We walked around the big church area then went back to the bus station took the bus back. the only way they knew to drop us off at the area to take us back to the ship was i showed them a picture of the boat on my digitial camera and then they said ok and took us back.

email me if you have any questions

[email="sean.roddy@echostar.com"]sean.roddy@echostar.com[/email]

Archived