Is Chichen Itza worth the 5 hours you spend on the bus?

briannejfl03

I have read that most of you prefer Uxmal to Chichen Itza, however, Uxmal is not offered on our cruise. I want to see the ruins, but is Chichen Itza worth the 5 hours total that you have to spend driving there, to only spend 2 1/2 hours at the actual site? Does anyone have any of their personal vaca pictures from Chichen Itza?

I agree with H Dawson - Chichen Itza is definitely worth it. But, you don't need to book a trip to Uxmal on the ship. Take the free shuttle from the ship to the Casa de Cultura in Progreso and check out the many tours offered. If you just want to see any ruin, Dzibilchaltun is the closest. Read more here: http://www.yucatantoday.com/en/topics/dzibilchaltun

which cruise on you traveling on that doesnt offer uxmal...we are on the fantasy leaving nola on march 21st and it doesnt show uxmal either but according to the excursion desk which i talked to over the phone ..they assured me that it would be available thru carnival by the time we leave

I am thinking about renting a car and driving to Uxmal on April 6th. I have read several posts about people driving themselves but they are dated. Is there a place to rent a car in Progreso or do I have to go to Merida?

It seems like driving will get me to Uxmal much faster than waiting on Autoprogresso (we will be there from 7AM to 4PM). It will mean much more time at Uxmal, time for a REAL lunch and the money I can save is substantial over going on one of the shps excursions.

I have not done a ship sponsored excursion since my first cruise and don't plan to either. Any input from any folks that have driven themselves to Uxmal would be appreciated and TNX!

Tim

which cruise on you traveling on that doesnt offer uxmal...we are on the fantasy leaving nola on march 21st and it doesnt show uxmal either but according to the excursion desk which i talked to over the phone ..they assured me that it would be available thru carnival by the time we leave

I was on the Fantsy last week. The number of excursions offered on the ship was much greater than the amount that were online. I don't have a list in front of me because I booked my own.

Autoprogreso goes to Uxmal for $49 pp but they require at least six people for a tour. If you are going with a big group, you can gurantee one going. If not you can hope others sign up.

I am thinking about renting a car and driving to Uxmal on April 6th. I have read several posts about people driving themselves but they are dated. Is there a place to rent a car in Progreso or do I have to go to Merida?

It seems like driving will get me to Uxmal much faster than waiting on Autoprogresso (we will be there from 7AM to 4PM). It will mean much more time at Uxmal, time for a REAL lunch and the money I can save is substantial over going on one of the shps excursions.

I have not done a ship sponsored excursion since my first cruise and don't plan to either. Any input from any folks that have driven themselves to Uxmal would be appreciated and TNX!

Tim

I remember seeing a car rental place across from the market where they drop you off. The name was something like Global Car Rental or something similar.

Archived