Welcome to Cruise Critic! If you'd like to participate on our forums by joining in the conversation, please Register Now! Be sure to visit our FAMOUS Roll Call forums, where you can meet other cruisers sailing with you and share a tour or shore excursion and SAVE MONEY!
Unregistered, just back from your cruise? Get published on Cruise Critic; Write a Review!
I'm doing a Rhine River cruise from 9/27/09 to 10/4/09. Has anyone done a similar cruise during this approximate time? What was the weather like? Did it rain much? What kind of clothing would you suggest?
I will be cruising on UNIWORLD River Ambassador from Amsterdam to Basel.
· 1981 - Duchess [Cunard] - S. Caribbean
· 1982- Mardi Gras [Carnival] - W. Caribbean
· 1983 - Princess [Cunard] - Alaska
· 1984- Jupiter [Epirotiki Lines] - Greece & Turkey
· 1985- Tropical [Carnival] - Mexican Riviera
· 1987- ??? [Regency Line] - Panama Canal & S. America
· 1991 - Ecstacy [Carnival] - E. Caribbean
· 1992 - Yangtze Star - Yangtze River, China
· 1997 - Fascination [Carnival] - S. Caribbean
· 1999 - Jubilee [Carnival] - Alaska
· 2001 - Via Australis [Cruceros Australis] - Patagonia/Tierra del Fuego, S.A.
· 2002 - ??? - Russian river cruise, Moscow to St. Petersburg
· 2004 - Dawn [Princess] - Alaska
· 2006 - Victory [Carnival] - N. England & E. Canada · 2008- Freedom [Carnival] - Eastern Mediterranean · 2009- River Ambassador [Uniworld] - Rhine River · 2010- Veendom [Holland America] - Chile, Cape Horn, Uruguay & Argentina, S.A.
Since you haven't had a reply yet I will give you the best answer I can based on our Rhine, Main and Upper Danube Trip from Budapest to Amsterdam Sept. 25 to Oct. 10 2008. According to the daily program highs ranged from 66 in Austria on Sept. 30 to 49 in Bamburg on Oct. 4, the Rhine (Rudesheim to Amsterdam) (Oct. 8 through 10) were highs 62 to 64. This seems to fit with what I remember actually occured. Also 6 days with light rain (Regensburg through Frankfurt (Oct. 2-7). The rain in Regensburg allowed us to continue on the river so was very welcome. Otherwise I really remember the rain being noticable only in Wurtheim. We took an umbrella, rain ponchos plus several jacket, sweater layers. A longer rain coat would be good if you have one, better safe than sorry. Also day backpack to put your extra layers in is useful. The fall foliage on the Rhine was lovely. We really enjoyed our trip. You might get more information off the river cruise special interest board, than here.