Weather during Rhine River cruise in late Sept.

Welcome to Cruise Critic! If you'd like to participate on our forums by joining in the conversation, please Register Now! Be sure to visit our FAMOUS Roll Call forums, where you can meet other cruisers sailing with you and share a tour or shore excursion and SAVE MONEY!

Unregistered, just back from your cruise? Get published on Cruise Critic; Write a Review!
Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
All times are GMT -4.
The time now is 04:53 PM.
Rockwall, Texas (Dallas area)
748 Posts
Joined Aug 2007
I'm doing a Rhine River cruise from 9/27/09 to 10/4/09. Has anyone done a similar cruise during this approximate time? What was the weather like? Did it rain much? What kind of clothing would you suggest?

I will be cruising on UNIWORLD River Ambassador from Amsterdam to Basel.
92 Posts
Joined Aug 2005
Since you haven't had a reply yet I will give you the best answer I can based on our Rhine, Main and Upper Danube Trip from Budapest to Amsterdam Sept. 25 to Oct. 10 2008. According to the daily program highs ranged from 66 in Austria on Sept. 30 to 49 in Bamburg on Oct. 4, the Rhine (Rudesheim to Amsterdam) (Oct. 8 through 10) were highs 62 to 64. This seems to fit with what I remember actually occured. Also 6 days with light rain (Regensburg through Frankfurt (Oct. 2-7). The rain in Regensburg allowed us to continue on the river so was very welcome. Otherwise I really remember the rain being noticable only in Wurtheim. We took an umbrella, rain ponchos plus several jacket, sweater layers. A longer rain coat would be good if you have one, better safe than sorry. Also day backpack to put your extra layers in is useful. The fall foliage on the Rhine was lovely. We really enjoyed our trip. You might get more information off the river cruise special interest board, than here.
Rockwall, Texas (Dallas area)
748 Posts
Joined Aug 2007
Thanks for the information. Your description sounds so welcome to someone from hot and dry Texas that time of year. I would really welcome the fall foliage. I can't wait!