Costa Maya Trip Report....Bacalar and Majahual

Susan Thompson

This was the port I was looking forward to. We have spent some time in Xcalac (50 miles south) so we are familar with the area, but there was much more we wanted to explore. We wanted to take this opportunity to go to Bacalar. Bacalar is a small city, one hour away, that sits on the edge of the second largest lagoon in Mexico. It is called the Lagoon of Seven Colors. It is also home to the largest cenote in Mexico, Cenota Azul. Our journey started when we got off the ship, there were 6 of us and I knew that was going to be a problem, because of the reserch I have done I knew there were taxis but wasn't sure about a van. We walked through the pier area till be got outside and there we some transportation guys, that work for the pier area, they had vans. At first they said to rent a van was $500.00! We told them they were crazy! Then they offered a van and a driver to bacalar with only 2 hours in Bacalar for $260.00. We told them no way we will just hire Taxis. They had the nerve to tell us that tha taxis would not go to Bacalar. I knew better, and now I'm pissed because they were lying to me! So we walked out of the gates and a Taxi pulled up, we told him we wanted to go to Bacalar, but we would need two taxis. He said ok but it would be $150.00 per taxi, not any better. Then the transportation guys pulled up in their van ready to deal. We we stood in the jungle haggling over the price, our top dollar was $175.00.( my husband drives a hard bargain) The taxis came down to $100.00 per taxi, still too much. It would have been better if we had two more people to fill up the second to help to defray cost. Anyway the van driver came down to $210.00, still too much. After traveling in Mexico a lot we knew the art of bargaining and we decided to just say "screw it", we are just going to Majahual. So, the van driver at the end came down to $200.00, still too much. We got in the taxis and headed to Majahual. Two of our friends knew that they were the reason it was going to cost too much for all of us to go. There were 4 of us who REALLY wanted to go, they decided to back out and stay in Majahual. So we could get one taxi for $100.00, for all day! (I decided to tell this part of the story so everyone would know how the guys in port are such rip off artist, if you let them get away with it, and if you have done your research you should't be ripped off. They will try to get away with what ever you let them.)

The taxi driver was awesome, he was from Bacalar so he knew the city very well. He didn't speak much english but we got by. Our first stop was Rancho Encantado http://www.encantado.com/ It Is a place we had looked into staying at but never made it. The place was wonderful, located on the lagoon. You can get a massage on the dock over the water! We will defiantly be back to stay there. Then it was on to Cenote Azul. This is a beautiful cenote surrounded by lush tropical folage, and a resturant right on the edge. Rope swings a high dive and ladders are provided for you to use. We took a swim, the water was wonderful. We shared chips and salsa, fish and shrimp ceviche, and fish empanadas. All were wonderful. We watched a lady making tortillias and cooking them on a wood fire grill. After changing into our dry clothes we had to leave. Then it was on to Fort San Felipe. It was a fort built on the side of the lagoon to protect the city from pirates. It was a great vantage point of the lagoon and city. It has been newly restored, $5.00 entrance fee, and that come with an english speaking guide. After the tour it was on back to Majahual, I would have loved to stay and explore the city itself but that will have to be another trip. We got back to Majahual with 45 minutes so we had the taxi driver take us to see Majahual. What a cool little village! It parallels the ocean, with open air resturants and shops. Lots of activity. The ocean is calm, because it is protected by the reef. Great place to swim, snorkle or just relax. We took pictures and talked to some shop owners, we ran into a man that we knew from Casa Cenote in Tanka Mexico, he finger paints tiles. It was good to see him and to see he is making a good living for his family. By the way, our friends that stayed to enjoy Majahual had a great time too. They even got massages on the beach! All in all it was a great trip and a wonderful day. I must add, please don't stay in the port area, you will be missing the true flavor of this wonderful Mexcan village. The port is very nice but very commercial.

I'm sorry this was so long but I really enjoyed this port.

Susan,

Thanks so much for your review. I had looked into Bacalar and Cenote azul because of an earlier question you had. They look like a wonderful area. I appreciate the insight into the van/taxi situation. Do you think the taxis would have had better rates in town? Did you feel rushed at all. I was glad to hear Bacalar was only an hour away. Still not sure what we are going to do in Costa Maya but I especially appreciate hearing about someone trying to do something a little bit out of the ordinary. I'm glad it went well.

Thanks

Su

Susan,

Thanks so much for your review. I had looked into Bacalar and Cenote azul because of an earlier question you had. They look like a wonderful area. I appreciate the insight into the van/taxi situation. Do you think the taxis would have had better rates in town? Did you feel rushed at all. I was glad to hear Bacalar was only an hour away. Still not sure what we are going to do in Costa Maya but I especially appreciate hearing about someone trying to do something a little bit out of the ordinary. I'm glad it went well.

Thanks

Su

Actually, it seems all the taxi drivers work together under one operator because when we got into Majahual, the taxi driver told us wait one minute, and he got out to talk to his boss, I'm sure he was going to see if he could meet our price.( $175.00 for 2 taxis) It was then that 2 of our party backed out and all we needed then was one taxi. So we got the one for $100.00.

We felt a little rushed because we waisted so much time haggling. But, as it turned out we had plenty of time, we spent a lot of time relaxing at Cenote Azul. I would have loved walking the streets of Bacalar, it was such a cool little town. In Prosresso we rented a car and drove to Merida. I did not like Merida nearly as much. I can't say enough about our trip to Bacalar, it was simply wonderful, and we will go back to spent some time next time we go to Xcalac.

I wish I knew how to attach pictures on this web site because I have some great shots.

Archived