Island escape or thompson destiny????

LEVEN

I know this may sound a silly question to you people out there, but I am so unsure of which of these two ships to go on next year. Maybe if I explain a little. I have cruised 3 times all with OV2, which I thought was absoluty fabulous. Sadly this is not a option any more. Having read plenty of the reviews on both sites, still no decision!!!! Maybe one of you good people could help me decide to which one would be most suitable, both the Island Escape and Thomson Destiny have iteneries I would like. Price very similar. Would appreciate any of your views.

I know this may sound a silly question to you people out there, but I am so unsure of which of these two ships to go on next year. Maybe if I explain a little. I have cruised 3 times all with OV2, which I thought was absoluty fabulous. Sadly this is not a option any more. Having read plenty of the reviews on both sites, still no decision!!!! Maybe one of you good people could help me decide to which one would be most suitable, both the Island Escape and Thomson Destiny have iteneries I would like. Price very similar. Would appreciate any of your views.

I haven't been on the Destiny but I think it depends on what kind of cruise you prefer and which deck you prefer. We've just been on the Celebration on Deck 1 after going on the IE on Deck 9 which was much more convenient for everything. I would study both deck plans carefully, for example on Deck 9 IE it was just up the stairs to the Beachcomber for breakfast, lunch etc. and the swimming pool, gym and so forth. On Celebration some of these places were scattered about the ship and more difficult to find the gym and spa. Also, the higher deck bars are easier to access than Celebration. Do you like to have 2 show lounges and all the music close to? I hope you're following what I'm trying to say. Also, what sort of dining do you prefer? On Celebration the evening restaurant is a menu with waiter service and on the IE Island Restaurant it is a buffet with less tables for two but the choice of dishes is wider. Personally I preferred the buffet, even though it was a bit of a scrum at times, as I felt the waiters had their pets among the diners and it definitely wasn't us. Hopefully someone who has been on the Destiny can give you better insight than me. If you like to try everything you could walk a lot more miles on one ship than the other. It's really up to you. Have a look for videos on YouTube which can be quite good in choosing. :):)

Jan

Hi Leven

We have just returned from a week on the IE and really enjoyed it.

We have been on Destiny 3 times and are booked on her again for the Caribbean again in March 2011.

Out of the 2 I prefer the Destiny but that is just my opinion. I usually go for the itinerary and maybe that is why we have been on Destiny more often. Staff on both are great and can't do enough for you. Can't comment on the entertainment as we didn't go to any shows etc. We liked the Lookout Bar, but Destiny has the Sky Bar as well which is very similar.

Dining options don't bother us as we always go for the buffets every time and on Destiny it is fixed dining times (early and late) in the waiter service restaurant whereas it isn't on the IE.

Not sure if you have posted this question on the Thomson forum, but if not you might get some more replies.

Janet

I haven't been on the Destiny but I think it depends on what kind of cruise you prefer and which deck you prefer. We've just been on the Celebration on Deck 1 after going on the IE on Deck 9 which was much more convenient for everything. I would study both deck plans carefully, for example on Deck 9 IE it was just up the stairs to the Beachcomber for breakfast, lunch etc. and the swimming pool, gym and so forth. On Celebration some of these places were scattered about the ship and more difficult to find the gym and spa. Also, the higher deck bars are easier to access than Celebration. Do you like to have 2 show lounges and all the music close to? I hope you're following what I'm trying to say. Also, what sort of dining do you prefer? On Celebration the evening restaurant is a menu with waiter service and on the IE Island Restaurant it is a buffet with less tables for two but the choice of dishes is wider. Personally I preferred the buffet, even though it was a bit of a scrum at times, as I felt the waiters had their pets among the diners and it definitely wasn't us. Hopefully someone who has been on the Destiny can give you better insight than me. If you like to try everything you could walk a lot more miles on one ship than the other. It's really up to you. Have a look for videos on YouTube which can be quite good in choosing. :):)

Jan

Thank you so much for your response. I took your advise and looked on U Tube. Helped me a great deal.

Hi Leven

We have just returned from a week on the IE and really enjoyed it.

We have been on Destiny 3 times and are booked on her again for the Caribbean again in March 2011.

Out of the 2 I prefer the Destiny but that is just my opinion. I usually go for the itinerary and maybe that is why we have been on Destiny more often. Staff on both are great and can't do enough for you. Can't comment on the entertainment as we didn't go to any shows etc. We liked the Lookout Bar, but Destiny has the Sky Bar as well which is very similar.

Dining options don't bother us as we always go for the buffets every time and on Destiny it is fixed dining times (early and late) in the waiter service restaurant whereas it isn't on the IE.

Not sure if you have posted this question on the Thomson forum, but if not you might get some more replies.

Janet

Thanks for your reply, I have opted for the Thomson Destiny, not too sure about the fixed meal times, but we are going to give in a whirl!

you have made the right descion i have been on both ...the destiny was built as cruise ship the ie is a converted baltic ferry......the destiny also has a very nice buffet restaurant,larger pool and better facilities and is still pretty informal

Although you have already opted for Destiny would like to add that we were on Island Escape in March, and on Destiny in June, and overall think you have made the right choice. Although I did think the standard of housekeeping, and friendliness of staff, was superior on Island Escape, I did prefer the dining arrangements on Destiny i.e. waiter service lunch and dinner available as well as a buffet option.

Lizzie

Archived