I just made our packing list. Anyone want to take a look?

OnTheBrink

Attached is our packing list. Anyone care to take a look and let me know if I'm leaving anything off? Or taking stuff we really don't need?

I totally understand if everyone is way too busy. I'm just excited to have checked it off my to-do list!

Hi Nancy,

Quite an extensive list but it looks like you covered all bases. Did I miss zip lock bags? Kids may want them for shells, etc. How about some duct tape...comes in handy if bags break. Don't forget to copy all of your documents (incl. passports) and put the copies in a luggage bag and a copy for someone at home. Don't know where you're cruising from, but if you're flying to your port, you may want to buy some of your health and comfort items at your departure city.

Have a great time and don't forget to take a moment when you return to make a list of things you didn't use and tuck it away for your next cruise.:D

Barry

Thanks for replying!

Yes, baggies are on there (small and large) under organization.

The duct tape - What is this used for? I see lots of posts about it, but I don't really know what it's for. And some people talk about getting flat strips of duct tape. What is the benefit to that?

We are driving down the day before (about 3 hour drive).

We have box sitting in the office at home where we just toss things as we come upon them and think it will be helpful for the trip (hand sanitizer, wipes, stuff that we buy in bulk but will only need a little bit of on the trip).

I really appreciate you taking a peek! My husband thinks I'm a bit insane for the planning, but it makes me much happier!

Wow! A girl after my own heart! Cruise is still two months away and you already have your packing list complete! Looks pretty thorough. I'll double check my list from our last cruise and get back to you if I can think of anything:)

Wow! A girl after my own heart! Cruise is still two months away and you already have your packing list complete! Looks pretty thorough. I'll double check my list from our last cruise and get back to you if I can think of anything:)

Oh, thank you for validating my insanity! Glad to know I'm not alone!

Attached is our packing list. Anyone care to take a look and let me know if I'm leaving anything off? Or taking stuff we really don't need?

I totally understand if everyone is way too busy. I'm just excited to have checked it off my to-do list!

You must be a (take this the way it's meant...) a "compulsive sicko" like I am:D ... (my husband's term of endearment for me. This will be our first cruise together (Alaska/Oosterdam/May, 2008) and frankly, I need all the help I can get! We don't have children (ages 62, both) but most of the items would duplicate our needs. We hope you have a wonderful time!

Coeur d'Alene Jane ;)

Okay I am curious not trying to be nosy, but looking over your packing list and updating my own. Why do you need death certificates? Or maybe I am curious what you mean by this. Also wondering why marriage license? I was only planning on taking passports for (husband, myself, daughter) driver's license. Do we need more than this? I know flying all we need is a passport in fact we have flown domestic with our daughter multiple times and never even shown ID for her.

Okay I am curious not trying to be nosy, but looking over your packing list and updating my own. Why do you need death certificates? Or maybe I am curious what you mean by this. Also wondering why marriage license? I was only planning on taking passports for (husband, myself, daughter) driver's license. Do we need more than this? I know flying all we need is a passport in fact we have flown domestic with our daughter multiple times and never even shown ID for her.

Oh, most people wouldn't need that. Here's our situation:

I was married to Michael and we had Emma. Then Michael was killed in a car accident. Then I married Rob. Then he adopted Emma. So we use the death/marriage/adoption paperwork because Emma's social security number does not yet reflect the adoption and her name change. Having the paperwork is a "just in case" thing, but we always keep copies with us when we travel. We don't want it to appear that she shouldn't be with Rob or that I am taking her out of the country against the will of her father. She does have a passport now, so it should all be fine this time, but I'd rather be prepared than in trouble!

Thanks for the explanation and again sorry to sound nosy. By the way your packing list is so detailed I have been keeping different list in my calendar - need to pack, need to buy, etc, but finally I am combining them to make a master NEED TO DO List. We are going for 16 days so my list is crazy.

Thanks and have a great trip

My to do list has a lot of random things I have to do before leaving, but pertaining to the trip and being away - buy all toiletries needed. I am taking new bottles of medicine and other liquid type items to avoid spills in transport. All new bottles will be packed and I have purchased the approved carry on bottles to take a couple of doses of medicine for the flights (even though the airlines indicated original bottle. I have flown with children's motrin, benedryl in nondescript 1 oz containers and had no problem with security).

Hold Mail

Hold Newspaper

Schedule Bills online

Make & take copies of Passport - it was recommended to carry 2 copies of your documents with you and leave one copy with a contact in the US (we will be in SA for over 2 weeks) in case you were to miss the boat or something was lost you can still get back to the US or catch the boat at the next port.

Contact Credit Card company about trip - worse thing is to have a hold put because they suspect illegal activity - our cc company has called us before when we are travelling.

These are the big things

do any of you wear glasses or contacts? i don't think i saw anything about that.

otherwise your list looks great albeit very long! i see no reason for air freshener and febreeze, and you have water bottle and bottled water listed a few times. also, tea bags should be available at all times, no need to bring that.

i had a list and box weeks before our first cruise. the second cruise i just winged it. next cruise i probably won't pack until the night before.

one thing that was a real life saver for us was the large dollar store mesh laundry bags. most everything else i could get away without.

Hi again Nancy,

Flat duct tape is easier to pack vs the roll. It's just a good thing to have should a luggage bag's zipper break, etc. We purchased a $4.25 clear plastic hanging shoe holder, hung it on the inside of our bathroom door and placed all of our health and comfort items in the compartments. We had heard of it but on past cruises decided not to get it. Our last cruise sold us on it. We left it on board when we left the ship. Freed up a lot of space. Walmart or Walgreens carried them.

Barry

Hi again, all!

No, none of us wear glasses or contacts.

The air freshener is for the bathroom. You know, just in case. The febreze is for those slightly damp bathing suits after I hand wash them. They never seem to dry smelling so fresh.

Water: We bring bottled water (store bought) as well as bottles for water (reusable plastic ones). Water is about all I drink and I am picky about the bottled stuff. So, for excursions, I want to have yummy bottled water.

Other than water, I drink tea. But again, super picky. Tea bags don't take up much room at all and I only need 2 a day or so. But I like my speciality tea. Since it's a vacation, I definitely want the nice stuff!

I hear what you are saying about changing the way you pack as time goes on. My husband is like that. But I am not! We go to Disney every few weeks and I still use a packing checklist. I just feel more comfortable - puts my mind at ease!

Definitely the over the door shoe holder thing. We have one in each closet at home, but none of them hold shoes! Depending on the person, they might hold belts, hairspray, socks, anything, really! I love those things!

Hi Nancy,

Nice list, I saved it so I can alter it to suit my need when we cruise in a few months. I make out lists too and yes my husband teases me, I am not as detailed as you though. I just list things like clothes, formal clothes, bathing suits, but you really list each thing! :) I guess taking the few extra minutes to be extra detailed in your list making pays off. I too am picky about tea. I love English or Irish Breakfast tea and many times they don't have it and try to offer Earl Grey (so not the same!!!!). Maybe I will pack a few and bring them in my pocketbook for after dinner. They may laugh at me, but who cares??? The one thing you may have forgot is a highlighter (it could be on there and I missed it), I have read it's great for the kids to highlight what they want to do for the day from the Camp Capers. The only other thing is I wanted you to know that the cabins have clothes lines (no clothes pins though)

Have fun!

Elecia

Wow, that's a great packing list. I am soo disorganised, I write things down as I think of them, and then lose the bit of paper, and can never remember what was on it:rolleyes:

You have just organised my cruise for me, I shall save it, and alter it to fit our situation - we will not be able to bring anywhere near that much stuff as we are flying from the UK and the baggage allowance isn't huge, but it will be a great help, thanks!

Dawn

I'm glad it will be useful for you! If you'd like a Word version (rather than PDF) so that you can edit more easily, just email me at MosesFamily at earthlink.net and I'll send that to you. The Word document just wasn't accepted here.

My husband and I are taking our 4 year old granddaughter on a cruise in April so I've been making a list already, too! I was on a cruise a couple weeks ago and when my camera needed the battery changed I thought there was no problem until I noticed that I didn't bring the right spare. I had my son's, but I was lucky, because my sister had her camera with her so I didn't miss taking any photos on our tour of Antigua. I see that they have a Teddy Bear Picnic & a Pajama Party on the NCL cruises for the 2 to 5 year olds so we'll be bringing a teddy bear & some new PJ's. We're also bringing snorkeling gear, goggles and water shoes. Once I was on a cruise with my daughter & she had forgotten something to tie her hair back with. We walked all over Old San Juan & couldn't find anything, even in the pharmacy. I bring a tiny stapler, too. My family makes fun of me for bringing so much stuff, but they sure do come running to me when they need something!

Archived