Viking Fontane

villager

We love the cities this boat goes to but are concerned about the size of the cabins & the age of the vessel. Has anyone been on this one lately?

While we have not sailed on the Fontaine, we have sailed on her sister ship, the Clara Schumann. Due to the shallow depths of the Elbe, these ships were constructed with some constraints. The propulsion system is designed for shallow water, and the cabins, while small, are well designed for maximum space utilization. One consideration is that the beds are single pull down bunks, which are made up by the staff for each evening. Another is that if you are mobility challenged, there is no elevator, but there is a stair lift chair.

We had a wonderful time on our cruise on the Elegant Elbe, and were very pleased with the ship and the staff.

The Viking Fontane has been completely refurbished for the 2010 season. We are booked on the July 23 Prague to Paris sailing. We have never been on a river cruise, and were concerned about the size of the cabin, maybe we still are. However, their cruises are very popular, if you go to the Viking web site you will find that most of the summer sailings are completely sold out for what Viking calls it's Cities of Light itinerary on the Viking Fontane.

Hi. We're also going on the newly refurbished, but still small single bedded, Fontane in late August. I also loved the itinerary, especially Prague and the Rhine, so I decided it really didn't matter what the cabin size and bed situation was like! Anyway, Villager, I haven't found much info on the Cities of Light cruise, so I'm hoping you'll report back to us when you get back - or at least be open to an email from me asking how it was??!! We have been to Paris and Nurnberg, but none of the other locations.

• 1 month later...

Archived