Are collapsible coolers really waterproof?

bunchesofun

The one time we tried to take a collapsible cooler, it leaked! We ended up keeping it in the shower (when we weren't using it!). Otherwise, it was a mess! Maybe a more expensive one would have worked?

This also happened to us. The cooler was only collapsible without the inside hard part. Leaked so bad a towel under could not fix.

If you are using it only for stateroom storage then pack a large trashbag as well and just use it as a liner. That should take care of any leaking worries.

As to above: Because the leakage was so bad, we went to the shops, bought a $10 watch and I asked for a big plastic bag. That worked great.

We bought some hard side coolers that look like rolling luggage for our last two cruises.

We just pack them with towels, clothes etc... then fill them once onboard.

Stewards seemed to like them better. (since they has wheels)

Bill

The one we used didn't have wheels, but had a hard insert. After the leakage, we put the hard insert in and used it for toletries, (sp?). All our shampoo, lotion, sunscreen, etc, was put inside and brought in on as a carry on.

2000003027.jpg

This is what I have, use it for my carry-on, (soda, wine, clothes, etc..) then have it filled with ice once in the room. Folds down to fit in your suitcase, and has successfully made it through as checked airline luggage when I have run out of room. Picked it up at Walmart for about $20

has never leaked and the ice will last 2-3 days if you keep it closed.

Did this come with the hard liner or just as it is. A lot of the ones I am seeing come with the hard liner so I don't think they'd be waterproof without it.

Did this come with the hard liner or just as it is. A lot of the ones I am seeing come with the hard liner so I don't think they'd be waterproof without it.

Would be a good idea to look for the word "leak proof" somewhere. I bought a Corona cooler at Walgreens in Las Vegas and it leaked like a sieve. Then I noticed the liner wasn't sealed on the inside. Always wondered if the room on the floor below got wet or if the carpet soaked it all up.

Mine has never leaked nor sweat. No hard liner, there is a piece that fits in the bottom to keep it square, but I have never used it. There is a pocket on the side that we use to keep things cold but don't want to get wet. So far so good.

It's a Coleman, so I believe the quality is quite good, and it's pretty enough that I can use it for other purposes

• 4 weeks later...
Here's the one I got at BJ's for $10. Although I don't think they sell it anymore, or at least, last time I was there they didn't have them. Maybe they'll come back for spring.

http://www.californiainnovations.com/products/ci/Coolers/45-can-live-green-reusable-thermal-tote/

Didn't leak and didn't sweat. Folded up nice and flat for my suitcase and became padding for stuff in the suitcase going home.

Found it on Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00314FBVA?ie=UTF8&tag=4sarasotacom&linkCode=as2&camp=1789&creative=390957&creativeASIN=B00314FBVA

I have that one, got it at Sams. We fly out west then go to different National Parks each year and it is great. Packs in the suitcase easily, and if we need to use it as a carry on for all the purchases on the return trip we do. I am bringing it on the cruise unless I can talk DH into letting me buy one on wheels that fits the 12x12x12 dimensions.

• 7 years later...
I have YETI Hopper TWO . One of the best things about this cooler bag is that it’s extremely durable. YETI is renowned for using top-quality components for their products, and the Hopper Two is no exception. The bag’s outer layer is made out of a high-density fabric that’s resistant to punctures and abrasion, and that’s also waterproof and resistant to bacterial or fungal growths. The middle layer is made out of closed-cell foam that insulates the bag’s main compartment. The inner layer is made out of an FDA-approved material. And probably as important as the foam and inner layer is the zipper. The zipper is similar to those used on hazmat suits and it creates an airtight closure.