NCL Jewel Bahamas excursion question???

donnad02

Hi,

I am booked on the NCL Jewel Bahamas cruise. I have never taken this cruise before and am very excited. I am in the process of booking excursions and need some help. First, I heard that there is a barbeque served while in Great Stirrup Cay (NCL private island) Does anyone know what time the barbeque is? I would like to book the wave runner excursion but I dont want to miss lunch, LOL. Also, has anyone signed up for the Disney excursion? Can you please tell me about your experience in regards to time.

Thanks so much!

Donna

Hi,

We were just on the Jewel, and I'm pretty sure that lunch on the island was served from 12-2:30 or something like that. I'm quite sure the buffet on the ship was open as well, for those who didn't care to get off. If you miss the barbeque on shore, you can always find something to eat on the ship. If nothing else, you can go to the Blue Lagoon, which is open 24 hours.

We did the excursion to Universal, and the (second) bus left at 12:35 and we caught the first bus back from Universal at about 7:30. They had 2 or 3 buses going each way, and when the bus was full, it left. We were told to meet in the theater for our shore excursion at 12:20, but the ship docked early, so as soon as we got there, they sent us downstairs to get on the bus. We were trying to meet another couple, and waited a few minutes. Meanwhile, the first bus filled up. They pulled away just after we got out there - still early for the 12:45 excursion. When they dropped us off, they told us the first bus would leave at 7:45 or so, and the last bus at 8:15. But it rained like heck all afternoon, so people got to the buses early. When the bus was full, it left. We were glad to get back to the ship a little early, because we needed the extra time to dry off before dinner! Disney is not very far from Universal, so these times are probably similar to what you would experience.

I'm suggesting you save your money on the Disney Excusion... I'm not saying you won't have fun, but the trip to the Magic Kingdom will take over an hour, you may have maybe 4 to 5 hours in the park depending on traffic, weather conditions, and the walk to the park and back to the bus. That can equate to maybe four or five attractions.. at something like $160 per person, I don't think you're getting your money's worth.. The Magic Kingdom is best enjoyed in a full day or expolration. You're going to miss the fireworks at night, you'll be running from ride to ride and if you do this, I strongly suggest Disney's FAST PASS... Again, it is a special place and I hate to see people miss all that this wonderful park has to offer. I did this earlier this year only because I had passes that were expring and it was a "use them or lose them" situation.. so I rented a car and did only the rides and attractions that we really wanted to do... We had visited this park many times before. I guess this depends on the individual and the experience you really want from this park. Good luck either way!

Thank you so much for all of the information. It really helps. I signed up for the wave runner at 3:00 so the buffet should not be a problem based on these times. I was concerned because once I leave the boat I don't want to go back until it is time to leave.

As for disney, I was worried that the bus would take forever to leave and take too long to get there, but from the reply it doesnt sound that bad. I've been to Disney twice but my sister is traveling with me and she has not. I just want her to experience it because she wont fly there. We are going to hollywood (MGM) studios and since i've beem there I know what rides to choose. However, I do want to spend the most time I can at the park. Is it better to take the bus or rent the car? Does the fast pass let you skip the line?

Thanks again for the help.

The fast pass is designed to get you into an attraction in just a few minutes, you do basically skip 95% of the line.. You will have to go to an attraction that allows Fast Pass, put in your Disney pass, and you will get back your pass and a fast-pass ticket. That ticket will tell you when you can come back to that attaraction and basically walk to the front of the line (sort of)... Remember you can only fast Pass one ride at a time.. meaning you cannot have multiple fast passes for different attractions at the same time. So pick the ride you want to get on as a priority and fast pass it.. Also, check to see the time they advertise that the fast pass will let you come back and ride it.. there are times when it may say to come back HOURS later.. well that will not help you if it says to come back at 7:30 if you have to leave at 7...

As to Car or Bus.. I know the Bus is safer, but is it $60 per person, where the car rental was a total of about $50... So with my family of 4, I saved enough to eat, shop, and snack at Disney. But you have to weigh the chance that something may go wrong. So plan it all out.. look at the pros & cons and cost, and make your decision. I left the park with just a little over two hours before I had to be at the ship, It only took an hour to get back and I had an hour to spare. I'm sure that there are those that would say renting a car is risky.. so that is up to you! I love the Disney Studios.. it's no longer MGM, I'm sure you Family will too!

• 3 weeks later...

Archived