What to do on a Monday?

I'll be finishing up my cruise on the NCL Spirit on March 6th (the Sunday before Mardi Gras) and we will be staying in New Orleans through Mardi Gras and leaving on Wednesday the 9th (evening most likely). I'll be bringing my wife and my 4 YEAR OLD son. My wife and I visited New Orleans about 14 years ago but not since.

So, when conducting my research it seems that everything is closed on Mondays and on Mardi Gras Day. So, that means no Zoo, no Aquarium, no Insectarium, no French Quarter Museums, no New Orleans Mint, no pretty much anything on Monday or Tuesday. I think the WWII Museum may be open, but I don't think it is appropriate for a 4 year old. I've thought of going to the Aquarium on Sunday afternoon and the Zoo on Wednesday morning (before our flight) but that leaves Monday with everything closed. We'll go the the parade in the evening on Monday and I thought we might walk around the French Quarter in the morning before the crazy starts, but come afternoon which could we do without any museums (or what if it rains)? And what about on Mardi Gras Day? Sure we plan on going to the parades, but what if the parades are too much or too long for my son? Anything else to do?

Any help or advise would be appreciated.

The Steamer NATCHEZ will run on Lundi Gras during the day (http://www.steamboatnatchez.com). I've taken my four year old nephews on a steamboat ride and they enjoyed the experience. Another option is to ride the historic St. Charles Streetcar out to the Camelia Grill during the day. It's a fun and delicious place to have a late breakfast or lunch. At night Rex arrives and begins his reign over the city. The ceremony where "power" is transfered is followed by wonderful fireworks over the river.

Do you think Mardi Gras World would be so interesting since we will be seeing 3 days of floats in the parades anyway?

Actually, yes... :p You will have the opportunity to see them upclose. Hear the history of the floats and interesting details you won't get at the parades. To be honest, the parades can be quite hectic and an overload to the senses. You miss A LOT. There is so much to see and so many distractions. At least that has been my experience.....

The Steamer NATCHEZ will run on Lundi Gras during the day (www.steamboatnatchez.com). I've taken my four year old nephews on a steamboat ride and they enjoyed the experience. Another option is to ride the historic St. Charles Streetcar out to the Camelia Grill during the day. It's a fun and delicious place to have a late breakfast or lunch. At night Rex arrives and begins his reign over the city. The ceremony where "power" is transfered is followed by wonderful fireworks over the river.

I second Camelia Grill!!!

I second Camelia Grill!!!

I looked up that place and it looks great. However, it looks like it is out near the zoo so I'll probably go there on Wednesday when I visit the zoo instead of making a special trip.

Archived