CRUISE CRITIC GET TOGETHERS - PROPOSAL

Shipping Out

Like JPEvans and others, I was disappointed that I only met one other member of cruise critics while I was on the QM2 Transatlantic Crossing, April 16. I propose that we make this a ritual - 2nd day of cruise, 5:00pm in the Commodore Club, right side (non-smoking). Perhaps we could even get Cunard to include it in their daily program. If Friends of Bill can do it, why can't we? That way, we don't have to hunt down cruise critic members, and they have the option of coming or not as they please. Any ideas on the subject?

I agree, and:

1) The non smoking side of the Commodore Club is the PORT/left side.

This also happens to be on the port "(docking)wing," which makes for a nicely contained/separate area that can easily be claimed with balloons, other decorations etc. (not to mention an appropriately commanding view forward!).

2) The 5pm timing is perfect and should not be fiddled with too much, as it allows those at the first seating in Britannia (6-6:15pm) to attend, and those at the second seating to carry on if they wish.

3) Part of the process needs to be that someone on each crossing takes responsibility for making it happen (ie encouraging attendance, staking out commodore club, putting up some sort of identifier, perhaps informing Cunard cruise director (newsletter) etc.)

4) This person might also encourage remind those on board to sign the CC Log Book in the Library. Despite the best of intentions, it's one of those things that somehow wants to slip through the cracks...and shouldn't.

Crouton

HI- I JOINED THE CRUISE CRITIC LAST SUMMER WHEN I WENT TO ALASKA ON ROYAL CARRIBEAN- NO ONE SHOWED UP FOR THE CRUISE CRITIC MEETING! DO THEY OFFER THIS ON THE QM2? I AM SAILING THE QM2 ON JULY 22-FROM SOUTHHAMPTON TO NY, AND THERE HAS BEEN NO REPLIES TO THE ROLL CALL FOR THAT SAILING! THANK YOU CROUTON, FOR ALL YOUR HELPFUL INFO ALSO!!!

Way back in 1998, A friend and I went on the Grand Princess, I was chatting with several people on AOL, when Cruise Critic was part of AOL. At our CC party we had 65 people attend. That's alot icon_eek.gif I think the main stream lines, such as RCCL, Celebrity, Carnival, Princess you will have lots more people who are into computers, than on Cunard. Just take a look at the amount of postings on those boards. On the QM2 Tandem Crossing, only 4 of us showed up for the get together. Others had said they were onboard. It seems that the "others" were ones that signed up for CC close to sailing. Crouton, I forgot to sign the CC book icon_frown.gif I totally forgot about.

J.P.

Originally posted by Crouton:

1) The non smoking side of the Commodore Club is the PORT/left side.

Oops! I stand corrected. All good points. Maybe we could borrow the log from the library, and pass it around at the get together (JPEvan - shame on you) How do we get somebody to take charge - appoint the first person who starts a roll call? Could we get Cunard to put it in the daily program? Could we provide this organizer with a ready made kit - like the newspapers do when you have a yard sale? More ideas folks!

Hi Guys

I'm afraid you have to police it otherwise it doesn't happen icon_eek.gif Knew I should have done the tandem crossing too icon_rolleyes.gif

I was a bit of a nag icon_eek.gif before the maiden voyage but we did get people to turn up at the get together on the first night out at 11.00pm in the Commodore - we had 26 show out of 42. At the second 'formal' CC cocktail party we had a turn out of 41 icon_biggrin.gif

These were CC numbers of RCI proportions that I doubt will be repeated on QM2 again icon_frown.gif

Can't believe some of you guys forgot the CC book in the Library - Cusyl is gonna get you for that icon_wink.gif

Best wishes

Ken

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> I forgot to sign the CC book I totally forgot about.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

And after I nagged you guys LOL, now you'll just have to go back again so you can sign it. icon_razz.gif

A bad day at sea is better than a good day at work

26 cruises since 1964 -Proud member of O.A.T.C.

Queen Mary 2 Maiden Caribbean Voyage 1/31/2004

Zuiderdam 3/27/2004

Caribbean Princess 8/28/04

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=111111&cdt=2004;08;28;17;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500<center>

Carnival Miracle from Tampa 11/7/04

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=111111&cdt=2004;11;07;17;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500<center>

<a href="http://www.escati.com/counter98/free_time_codes.htm">

time98.gif</center>

• 1 month later...

Hey folks,

I'm reviving this topic because I think it's something we should agree on, if only to simplify/streamline the process of providing each new sailing with a basic format for getting together on QM2 sailings. I also think we have an apportunity to start an enjoyable, worthwhile tradition here and that we should take it.

I will agree to monitor this thread -- all help welcomed -- and then post a poll/vote once it appears we have a consensus.

Okay? Speak up!;)

Crouton

No nap après Afternoon Tea? Sounds like a plan. Finally we'll get to this lounge on November 6th.

This is an excellent idea to formalize/ritualize this as on the Maiden Cruise to Nowhere, although on this forum (I’m pretty sure) to meet in the Chart Room, others (many others) went to Sir Samuels across the hall.

Am hoping there are many from CC on the 10/6 sailing. I know of at least four, including our own Cunarder.

Ken has good point. For the New Yorkers Caribbean on November 6th, I will personally take the responsibility of (unless someone else is keen to do so):

1) Reminding everyone of the meeting once on board. This can be accomplished if everyone who would like a reminder posts their cabin numbers so a message can be left. It has been my experience that people get caught up in other things and it is a good way to connect. Or, if this can be published in the Daily Programme, that would be even better than my leaving a correspondence card/or phone message. On a recent Radisson Cruise, we got our signals mixed up and missed those from CC at the sail away party, but since we had each others room numbers, we were able to connect the next evening.

2) Reminding everyone to SIGN THE BOOK.

Love the DUCK Crouton. On our recent cruise to Bermuda (Radisson) there was a duck race in the St George’s canal. Baby plastic ducks with sunglasses and bigger Corporate Ducks. (Hundreds of DUCKS – you would have loved this!).

Loria: I too found Royal Caribbean to be the most enthusiastic for CC meetings. We lunched together, then participated on last night in as a team an R rated scavenger hunt (quest), winning second place. When I see these shipmates’ posts now, it brings a smile to my face – that’s what memories are made of.

Last year we met two couples from Cruise Critic and we made the arrangements by posting here. It worked very well especially, as I recall, because we all had 2nd seating for dinner.

I suppose it wouldn't be a problem to do what you propose if I had first seating (hope I never have to do that) but I can't imagine being dressed that early if I had second seating. My 2 cents.

Random thoughts:

• The suggested 5pm start time is really the only "before dinner/cocktail" one that works for anyone in the first Britannia seating (usually 6:00 or 6:15 pm) to have a decent amount of time at the get-together. Anyone in the second seating could come later/stay longer if they wanted to, and there's no need for second seaters to dress formal early for the CC get-together unless they choose to.
  • IMHO, the intention of establishing a fixed time/place is not to tie anyone down, but to provide a simple, workable blueprint/structure/plan for us to pass on to new QM2 CC passengers so that they can arrange a meeting without having to rehash the details every time. It goes without saying -- but needs to be said anyway -- that each group is 100% free to change the details to better suit their particular needs/cruise/circumstances.
  • "an R rated scavenger hunt (quest)" - details please! :p

Crouton

P.S. Thank you for noticing my duck, Jeanne S (and Vic). Since you speak some French, do you know that "Canard" means, um, 'duck,' en Francais? I do think my bouyant mascot is a little more appropriate for a ship company than a golden lion, but those Brits, you know: it's all lions, lions, lions... :rolleyes:

Jeanne - Those of us that met up on the Mother's Day Cruise DID meet in the Chart Room at the appointed time. We were at the 2nd or 3rd table from the entrance, near the piano. Something like 10+ of us were there. A couple people even walked around the room yelling "Cruise Critic, Cruise Critic" to see if anyone responded, but no one spoke up. I got your message that another meeting was arranged in the Queens Room, but didn't get it until the day after. I didn't actually expect anyone to call the room, so I never thought to check the voice mail, until I was waiting for a call from the Purser's desk.

Sorry we didn't get a chance to meet, but maybe we'll be booked on the same cruise at another time.

Christine

Since one does not have to be in evening dress until after 6pm, perhaps it would not be a problem.

Jeanne

Perhaps. I just don't like to rush. To gather at 5pm would mean I would begin dressing at 4pm. And I'll be drinking tea then. ;) As I say, this is just my approach. Perhaps others like an earlier evening.

I think we're all in agreement that the second day of the cruise/crossing is an appropriate time to meet.

We agree that someone taking charge is a good idea.

We mostlikely agree that putting an announcement in the Daily Programme is a good idea. (Would someone currently aboard QM2 please ask (the Cruise Director?) about the possibility of this and report back? Thank you.)

After that, there's some who have suggested/used the Commodore Club and some who lean towards the Chart Room -- with Sir Samuel's Wine Bar having also been mentioned.

The 5pm time seems early for some, so I want to ask for suggestions of a better/different time (with rationale) from anyone who doesn't like 5pm -- or for an acknowledgement that they could make 5pm work somehow.

Also, how do people feel about:

• bringing the CC Log Book from the Library for the get-together?
  • handling responsibility for posting these suggestions in each new Roll Call?
  • asking for a volunteer to take charge?
  • posting cabin number information on the board regarding this (privacy concerns)?
  • any other/better names for these get-togethers?

Please think this over and reply -- remembering that we are just trying to come up with an easy, pre-conceived "template" for a get-together which can be easily communicated on the board so that each new CC group doesn't have to hash through the reinvention of the wheel.

I will still keep monitoring this thread and will try to sum things up and post an official vote/poll once it seems like were close to agreement. Suggestions & other leadership welcomed.

Crouton

Christine:

I mentioned Sir Samuels as someone posted that they met there - across the hall. As there were two entrances, we thought it a good idea to distance ourselves between them so we were around the corner. One of us had gotten up and walked around twice looking in the front of the room. Am sorry to have missed everyone. After leaving phone messages, we later realized that was not the greatest idea as not everyone even realizes they have messages half the time. Sorry to have missed you all.

When we cruised on Radisson and missed meeting up with everyone, this time I left notes at their mailbox door and was able to make contact with the tow other groups we planned to me.

I figured The Commodore Club would be good as there is not bar next to it and it’s isolated.

Assam:

5pm is not really my faavorite time to meet wither, but it seems best for including everyone, unless we meet at 12 noon again.

Croûton

Je parle français. Le canard est le meilleur. J'aime le canard

Jeanne

Thanks to all of you who have kept this thread alive. We're making great progress! Second day it is - a designated organizer a must. Possible listing in the daily program. Possible loan from the library of the Cruise Critic log book. Still up for debate - the place and time. I favor the

Commodore Club - easier to round up folks, great view, great martinis! The time up for debate. Remember that the second day is usually formal - and meet the captain night to boot. How about a compromise at 5:30pm? First seating passengers will already be dressed, and can stop in for 1/2 hour before continuing on to dinner. Second seating passengers can drop by before they get dressed. Dress is not a factor here - we're only looking for the best time and place to meet other Cruise Critics.

The problem with this time that did not originally occur to me until you reminded me it is formal night is that for early sitting there is Commodore's Welcome Cocktail Party at 5:30 (early seating is 6:30?).

On our next sailing we are doing the early seating and will be at tea from 3:30-4pm then get ready for this party - meaning we would not be ready till 5:30pm. Afternoon Tea is a given for us every day at sea.

On our last QM2 sailing we met at 12 noon. Do you think it might be more feasible to meet earlier in the afternoon or say 11:30am (this worked well on another ship, as we all then went for lunch together)?

Aha! I don't know why I have been so fixated on the evening of the second day. We could very easily move the time up. It would have to be before 3:30pm, because none of us would dream of forgoing afternoon tea, but anytime after 1:00pm would do. Possible conflicts - a lecture by Mr. Miller or Mr. Maxtone-Graham or one of the Planetarium Shows. Comments anyone?

Archived