Beijing - Bangkok Oct. 2005 - how early did you book?

MLinFL

I really want to do this cruise some day. I was looking into possibly booking it for Oct. '05. I called Princess today and was told that there are no more balcony cabins available - and this is 11 months out. I then asked if I could book it for Oct. 2006 and they told me it was too early and they weren't taking reservations for the 2006 cruise yet - suggested that I call back in March or April.

How early did any of you going on the 10/05 cruise book? How did you know when Princess was accepting bookings?

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Mary Lou

Mary Lou,

The exotic cruises through the Orient book very early. If you really want to go in October 2005, start checking with all the online TA's now. I would suspect there are group bookings being held by TA's and you can probably find a balcony cabin. After final payment is due (usually 90 days out), there will probably be some available cabins. At least get yourself on a wait list NOW, if you really want to go in October 05. There are a lot of logistics involved in these kind of trips-passports, visas, airlines (you loose a day flying to the Orient), hotels, pre-cruise excursions, etc., etc., etc. The Chinese visa's are probably the most difficult. MUST have double entry or you will stay on the ship when you get to Shanghai.

We booked the same cruise for October 2003 in August 2002. Then it was cancelled due to SARS. Princess really jumped the gun on that one. SARS was a non-issue in Sept. 2003, but they cancelled the cruise in May. Caused us all kinds of problems. We had used FF miles to fly First Class to Beijing, started the paperwork for Vietnam and Chinese visa's, pre purchased all kinds of tours, hotels, etc, for a 2 week pre cruise in China.

We have rebooked for March 2005, but now we must now fly ourselves from Beijing to Bangkok to board the ship. We booked our "new" cruise in Sept. 2003.

Make sure you have all the logistics worked out before you book. And that comes from someone who does logistics 24/7. We own a global logistics company and I still got myself in a bind. If you need any info, feel free to email.

Gina

Hi Gina and Mary Lou...We are a group booked through Kim's Kruises on the October 23, 2005 sailing. Try her, Mary Lou...I bet she has space!

Gina, when you can, could you please let me know the details about getting visas. Don't you just love CC?

Thanks,

Mari

http://www.china-embassy.org/visa/english/chinese/lyqz.htm

This is probably the best information if you are going to get the China visa yourself. The key is NOT to get it too early. It is only good for 90 days and can only be issued 90 days BEFORE it is valid and you enter China. Do NOT apply for your visa much before 6 months from the time you will arrive in China. And you MUST have 6 months left on your passport.

The double entry is tricky for us this trip, with our 2 week pre-cruise, then fly to Bangkok, and end up back in China, with multiple entries. I hope this works out. I am a little leary, because we will actually be entering China 3 times in 4 weeks-Beijing, Shanghai, Beijing. If I have to, I will not get off the ship in Shanghai.

I don't know where you are in CA, but there is an embassy/consulate in both San Francisco and LA. If you are not close to either of them, you will have to use a visa service. There are many-just pick a reputable one. NO MAIL IN's. MUST be hand processed through the consulate. I had applied in May 2003, for my October 2003 cruise, when they cancelled one week later. I did not expedite, so at least saved that $30.00pp. But I was out $120.00. Now it is $75.00pp. Princess gave us ship credit, but I still could have used the $120.00 to apply for the new visa's. I am going to LA and apply in January. Will pay the expedite fee and just wait for the visa that day.

http://www.vietnamembassy-usa.org/consular/visainfo.php3

This is the link for the vietnamese visa. You must email or call for the fee (Hope they don't charge what they feel like on any given day). Last year, it was $30.00pp. Mail in service only, unless you are in Washington DC. Someone posted someplace (may not have been CC) that the ship or actually the post stated the tour operator can get the visa's. Haven't inquired about that. I feel more secure doing it myself, BUT I am a micro manager to the max. Just ask my employee's. LOL

Gina

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

..at least I think so. I booked in July--after HelenB posted her fabulous review of the ports. But there were a confluence of events that pushed Princess' Asia cruises this year: 1) the dollar was hitting bottom against the Euro and Sterling; 2) many cruises were cancelled in 2002 because of the SARS scare, thereby backing up demand; and 3) Princess prices for balcony cabins were less than 1/3 of any other "mainline" cruise line travelling to the area. I'd be really surprised if Princess cruises sell-out as fast next year, especially since Oceania will also start travelling in the area in 2006. With 4 major cruise lines--Princess, Oceania, Radission, Seabourne--in the area in the following years, there should be room for all....and Princess will not be able to raise their rates as they have for 2005.

• 1 month later...

I booked our October 2005 Asia cruise on the Diamond on June 28th. I saw the schedule on Princess' website. The cruisetours were not available then so I had to call again in October to add that, but at least I had my choice of balcony stateroom back in June.

Archived