Beer and Cocktail prices!!

lakelurenut

I have found the prices to be cheaper on board than we usually pay at fine restaurants or land resorts. The prices on the Insignia never came close to the prices at some high end places in San Francisco. Their corkage fees are also no higher (and usually less) than one would pay at good restaurants.

I agree with Digby that the prices you'll pay onboard are comparable with those that you'd pay in "better" restaurants anywhere. Corkage might be slightly higher however at least Oceania do offer it's guests the option of bringing a favorite wine to dinner. After all, their policy could be "no outside alcohol on board" period!

I have found the prices to be cheaper on board than we usually pay at fine restaurants or land resorts. The prices on the Insignia never came close to the prices at some high end places in San Francisco. Their corkage fees are also no higher (and usually less) than one would pay at good restaurants.

Digby,

Cruiselines don't pay tax on the bottles of liquor, they don't pay sales tax on the individual drink and the labor is cheaper.

That's three good reasons why the drinks are all cruiselines, other than Oceania, are a lot less than they are on land.

I love Oeania, but their drink prices are out of line, IMO.

Jane

Cruiselines don't pay tax on the bottles of liquor, they don't pay sales tax on the individual drink and the labor is cheaper.

That's three good reasons why the drinks are all cruiselines, other than Oceania, are a lot less than they are on land.

I love Oeania, but their drink prices are out of line, IMO.

Jane

Jane,

The Oceania corkage fee is $20. Most nice restaurants at which I have dined have similar corkage fees. As an example, look at the page for the Ringside restaurant at http://www.ringsidesteakhouse.com/DT_WineList.htm

Another thing that Oceania does is to let you spread your bottle of wine over more than one meal. And you can have it opened in one restaurant and then finish it in a different restaurant.

I'm not sure what the drink prices are on other cruise lines, so I don't know how much you feel that Oceania's prices are out of line. In any case, the price of drinks is not much of a deciding factor for us when we choose a cruise.

phlewt

Jane,

The Oceania corkage fee is $20. Most nice restaurants at which I have dined have similar corkage fees. As an example, look at the page for the Ringside restaurant at http://www.ringsidesteakhouse.com/DT_WineList.htm

Another thing that Oceania does is to let you spread your bottle of wine over more than one meal. And you can have it opened in one restaurant and then finish it in a different restaurant.

I'm not sure what the drink prices are on other cruise lines, so I don't know how much you feel that Oceania's prices are out of line. In any case, the price of drinks is not much of a deciding factor for us when we choose a cruise.

phlewt

I never commented on the corkage fee in my post. And I'm not sure why a specific restaurant like the Ringside was mentioned. I'm not familiar w/ it, but I'm sure I can point to places here in NYC that also have a $20. corkage fee though I don't see the relevance.

ALL cruiselines will put away any wine remaining in the bottle and serve it to you at another meal.

On Princess, Celebrity and HAL, cocktails are between $3.50 - $5.50. Oceania's were $9.00 at the martini bar, $8. for a mixed drink at the other bars and some glass of wine were up to about $12. per glass. Plus 18% gratuity.

Again, one of the reasons that fine dining establishments charge so much is because of the liquor taxes they pay, sales tax and labor charge which cut into their profit margins. Cruiselines don't have those fee's which is why all lines, other than Oceania, give their customers a break on price, while they still make a nice profit.

The price of drinks is also not a deciding factor as to whether we take a particular cruiseline - though it does factor in to how many we have.

Archived