Planning a GCT River Cruise in 2005

Capeduo

We are planning a river cruise with GCT from Antwep to Basil in late July/early August, 2005. Is this a good time for a cruise? Has anyone taken this cruise or any cruise with GCT? This will be our first river cruise and any info would be appreciated. We were thinking of a balcony room. I understand the dress is very casual which is something we like. How far in advance should we book this cruise? :)

We are doing our first river cruise soon. We are going on the Christmas on the Rhine with GCT leaving late November. We got the idea kind of late so we booked about 60 days in advance. GCT sent us a very detailed booklet with all kinds of info on what to wear, what to bring and lots of other good information. They did stress packing light and no ties or jackets needed for dinner. The booklet had a timeline in it that would lead you to think normally cruises were booked at least 4 months in advance. GCT was very helpful over the phone so it might be worth a call to ask a few questions. The negative with the reservation system is you get someone different each time you call. Their agents did not have the ability to give you an extension number so you couldn't just call back the same agent. GCT was recommended to us by friends who have been on both river and land cruises with them. Our friends are experienced travellers and we valued their opinion. We gave our friends name to GCT and they received a $200 credit toward their next GCT trip. We got a balcony room but understand the rooms are all quite small. August is a very heavy vacation month in Europe. August is a traditional holiday month in Germany. The Germans may close an entire factory for a couple of weeks in August and everyone goes on holiday. I looked at your itinerary and it looks great. We thought we would try a short cruise and then if we liked it consider Eastern Europe or China.

Thanks for the informatiion on the GCT River Cruise. Hope you have a pleasant trip and will be anxious to hear how you liked it. I don't like travelling in the cold weather; therefore, we decided to go in the summer. We did research all the cruise lines and decided that GCT gave you the most for the money and seemed well planned. We have to decide when to book since, as you said, August is a Holiday month and we do want a balcony. :)

We just returned from the very cruise that you are considering and enjoyed it greatly. I will be posting a detailed report on our trip within a few days. We booked one year in advance and there were only a few balcony cabins left at that time. We definately enjoyed our balcony cabin not only for the opportunity to be able to step outside but also to be able to enjoy fresh air while we slept. But do not confuse this balcony with one you would find on an ocean voyage. It is the full width of the cabin but only 2 1/2 feet deep. Also, the space used by the balcony reduces the size of the cabin as compared to other cabins. The greatest advantage, in my opinion, is being on the highest cabin deck so you can see the scenery more clearly. We have traveled with GCT twice and had the same cabin both times. If you take a cabin on the starboard side and leave your balcony door open at night you will be awaken with the aroma of baking bread and coffee brewing in the galley just a few doors away. Of course, weather is never predictable. Our trip in late September was a little on the chilly side. I think that earlier in September would be the ideal time weatherwise. The trip from Antwerp to Basel stops at mostly small towns whereas the Great Rivers of Europe trip stops at some larger, although still small, cities. Each itinerary has its own attractions but having done both we thought that the trip on the Mosel River was the high point. As for dress, I took a sport coat along and never used it. Didn't see a necktie the entire trip. From speaking with other travelers who had also been on tours with both Vantage and Viking ships we heard that all were highly regarded and the consensus was that you could not go wrong on any of the above. Hope this helps you. Clarence:)

My husband and I did our first GCT river cruise in Aug. and thought it was terrific. Suggest you read "Grand Circle Danube River Cruise Black Sea to Budapest," posted by solgor, and my follow-up, both posted early Sept. Neither applies to your specific cruise, but both give you our impressions of the Grand Circle ships and the river cruising experience.

We have been on two GCT riverboat trips, Great Rivers, and Eastern Europe to the Black Sea. We absolutely loved the Great Rivers trip, but the Eastern Europe to the Black Sea was not that enjoyable. Why? Well, on the Great Rivers trip, you are stopping every evening and can stroll the beautiful towns with the wine fest going on. (we went in June-July). The days were longer, and you can do more in the evenings. It was magical.

Our recent trip on the Budapest to the Black Sea, was not. No stops with towns having festivals, many many bus trips, and practically no resting time. However, the ships, food, tour guides, and everything else was wonderful. We did enjoy the trip, but not as much as the Great Rivers trip. I would say it was more educational than a fun type adventure. Now, that's just my opinion. We have been on 7 GCT trips and enjoyed all, but just as a comparison I gave the above opinion.

Grace

Grace

My answer to both questions would be yes, but then I haven't done a river cruise in August. I do know that many of the towns where the river boats call are the kind of places that Europeans go on vacation and August can be a pretty hot month in the southern part of Europe. If you are flexible in your timing I would think that early September would be a good compromise that would tend to minimize problems on both issues. Clarence

Archived