The Grills on QM2

Hi Stephen,

You've carved a name for yourself in history with Queen Mary 2 - and deservedly so. She's awe inspiring and yet feels like home when on her for a long voyage. I love that ship.

The only parts of the ship that I do have slight reservations about are the Grills spaces; the Grills deck that has a public thoroughfare through it and the Grills restaurants which are situated just behind Kings Court and lack the views that the equivalent restaurants on the QE & QV have.

Any reasons why these restaurants (and the lounge) were situated where they are? Was any though given to having the Grills restaurants take up the back of deck seven so that their windows could overlook the stern?

If you had the chance to do it all again, would you do anything differently with the Grills spaces and locations on QM2?

• 2 weeks later...
Dear Whitemarsh,

Thank you for your comments about Queen Mary 2.

Designing a passenger ship is all about compromise and optimisation. I was keen to provide the Grill Rooms with as much height as possible in line with the other major public spaces on board the ship. Accordingly, deck 7 seemed an obvious choice as the tween deck height of this deck is much greater than the passenger cabin decks above (or below). The other important consideration was transportation of foodstuffs from the store rooms located low down at the aft end of the ship. Special elevators were needed and these were easily accommodated with the Grills and the associated galley in the location where they are presently situated.

If I was developing a new design I would certainly take another look, but taking everything into account for Queen Mary 2 I still think that the Grills are in a good position.

Thank you for your question.

Stephen

Archived