transportation options cruise port to French side

Ken Greco

This thread has not had any activity for two months, but I'm hopeful that some of the experienced St. Martin travelers who have posted here can offer some advice.

I'll be in port in February for 8am-5pm. The port schedule shows 4 ships during that time. My group of 3 would like to go to Grand Case for lunch followed by some beach time probably at Orient Beach and then return to the ship.

The discussion here suggests it may be difficult to find a taxi in Grand Case. Is that true?

Also, my review of taxi rate sheets (dated 2014) indicates the following fares for 3 people:

Cruise port to Grand Case - $35

Grand Case to Orient Beach - $22

Orient Beach to Cruise port - $29

Total: $86

If that amount is correct, maybe we should rent a car? We'd spend the same and have greater freedom - although we have to set aside time for car return and lack of local road knowledge that taxi drivers have.

The last two times stopping there we've rented a car. Very easy to get around and you can do at your own leisure and where ever you want to go. Coastal is right there at the dock. We saw some great out of the way beaches and was able to get beer and snacks at the store and enjoy our day.