Please Help Me About Xunantunich

elou

I know I have asked before, but cannot get reply. On this 7 hour tour, how long are you at xunantunich. Besides the large pyramid, are there many other mayan structures to see? Been to Altun and Kohulnick in Costa Maya (not impressive to me), Tulum okay, Chichen Itza wonderful. What about Cahal Peck or Coba since I'm on the Jewel next month? Just so unsure of which ruins to pick. Thank you again.

Since the post has not been moved yet, I'll reply here. (We went with Celebrity.) We were at Xunantunich for about two hours or so - we did not feel rushed. The bus dropped us off across the Mopan River and we were transported across the river by a hand-cranked raft/ferry. On the other side, we boarded a van that took us to the gate. We were given our tickets and walked inside, wandered around with the guide who stopped to provide explanations. Other than the pyramid, there are some structures, but not much to be exlored - they were mostly partial excavations; one excavation was ongoing (this was in 2003). Then we climbed the stairs to about the mid-pyramid level, and from there we continued up to the top - very steep, narrow, and steps not very smooth, but the view from the top was worth it to us.

Here's a website with more info - http://mayaruins.com/yucmap.html (click on Xunantunich for the interactive map).

Since the post has not been moved yet, I'll reply here. (We went with Celebrity.) We were at Xunantunich for about two hours or so - we did not feel rushed. The bus dropped us off across the Mopan River and we were transported across the river by a hand-cranked raft/ferry. On the other side, we boarded a van that took us to the gate. We were given our tickets and walked inside, wandered around with the guide who stopped to provide explanations. Other than the pyramid, there are some structures, but not much to be exlored - they were mostly partial excavations; one excavation was ongoing (this was in 2003). Then we climbed the stairs to about the mid-pyramid level, and from there we continued up to the top - very steep, narrow, and steps not very smooth, but the view from the top was worth it to us.

Here's a website with more info - http://mayaruins.com/yucmap.html (click on Xunantunich for the interactive map).

I was in Belize and have been to Lamanai and also flew to Tikal. If the OP comes back and they are going to Belize I would recommend Lamanai. We were in Belize for a week and decided to pick one ruin to see there. I recall we decided on Lamanai because of the incredible entrance by boat. Btw, the food is great in Belize.

Archived