Hotel near the port in Valpariso, Chile

flamomo

We're booked to cruise out of Valpariso in March and think we'd like to arrive a day early and stay in Valpariso, instead of in Santiago, which is where we fly into.

Our T/A has not been much help with hotel options, so I have trying to research what's available online, and while there are quite a few, they are mostly quite small and I'm having a hard time knowing which ones to even consider.

I don't think we'd want to stay in Vista Del Mar. I think we would like to be on the "flatland" part of Valpariso, rather than up in the hilly part, so we can walk from the hotel to some of the historic sites.

I am hoping that some others have stayed there, or spent some time in the city, and can offer some recommendations and/or suggestions.

We have booked The Ibis after reading very good reviews about it. We also leave from Valparaiso in March - 16th March on Celebrity Infinity. Are you on the same cruise?

I have been reading reviews of the Ibis and they seem pretty positive.

The rates seem reasonable, and it appears to be rather new.

Sorry, but we are on a different cruiseline and ship ... we're sailing on the Crown Princess a few days after your cruise departs.

We are at the Ibis now. We are pleased: It provides our 4 minimum needs: quiet, clean, comfortable bed, and good shower. It is modern, but minimalist in furnishings. It is absolutely adequate for its purpose.

Tips: ask for a room with view of the sea. Also, book a regular reservation and then, when you are sure you will stay there, book a prepaid reservation (same price), but prepaid res. includes full breakfast for two, and cancel original reservation.

If you have time, take the 3 hr. walking tour offered by "tours for tips" at 10am and 3pm. You pay for the tour with optional tips at the end--young, enthusiastic guides. All tours in English. Although you are not required to tip, PLEASE do not exploit these young guides. Tip as suggested (5,000-10,000) or what you truly think is fair value for what you received. It is disturbing to see people walk away, having enjoyed the tour, but tipping nothing.

We are at the Ibis now. We are pleased: It provides our 4 minimum needs: quiet, clean, comfortable bed, and good shower. It is modern, but minimalist in furnishings. It is absolutely adequate for its purpose.

Tips: ask for a room with view of the sea. Also, book a regular reservation and then, when you are sure you will stay there, book a prepaid reservation (same price), but prepaid res. includes full breakfast for two, and cancel original reservation.

If you have time, take the 3 hr. walking tour offered by "tours for tips" at 10am and 3pm. You pay for the tour with optional tips at the end--young, enthusiastic guides. All tours in English. Although you are not required to tip, PLEASE do not exploit these young guides. Tip as suggested (5,000-10,000) or what you truly think is fair value for what you received. It is disturbing to see people walk away, having enjoyed the tour, but tipping nothing.

Thank you for the descriptive info about the Ibis hotel. It's likely that we will wind up booking it, beacuse of it's location near the port. Also, thanks for the hint about how to book.

We are hoping to be able to do a Tours4Tips tour. There's no question that if we do go, we WOULD tip the guide appropriately.

If possible, could you provide a bit of info re: your experience with the Tours4Tips tour ..... is the pace easy to keep up with? ...... How much actual hill climbing is involved, or is most of it via the ascensors? ...... anything else that might be helpful would be appreciated.

• 1 month later...

We are cruising Infinity on March 16. WE arrive in Satiago on 14,taking day tour from there up coast to Valpariso. Is the Ibis near good restaurants? WE stayed at this hotel in another ciry and it was minimalistic.

We would also like to take the Tour 4 Tips tour. Is the location within walking distance from Ibis hotel? How will you get to port/terminal?

thanks in advance for help,

janines

We are cruising Infinity on March 16. WE arrive in Satiago on 14,taking day tour from there up coast to Valpariso. Is the Ibis near good restaurants? WE stayed at this hotel in another ciry and it was minimalistic.

We would also like to take the Tour 4 Tips tour. Is the location within walking distance from Ibis hotel? How will you get to port/terminal?

thanks in advance for help,

janines

Note from Ted&Molly, reporting from the hotel: "It is modern, but minimalist in furnishings." I think that's pretty standard for the Ibis chain. I've only seen a couple, and that description fits. You can see reviews, and photos, of this Ibis, on Tripadvisor.com, as well as other sites. It does look minimalist, but the location is apparently what you asked for: right next to the port. Some might find that less than desirable, but some obviously like it. You can see the location (including from the air) on Google Maps. I don't recall the exact location of the cruise ship check-in facility (we disembarked at Valparaiso, took a shuttle bus to the facility, and a shared van from there to Santiago). Not sure you'd want to walk very far at all with luggage, but I'm sure your hotel can advise.

I hope you'll get a chance to see Santiago. Lots of museums, shops and restaurants there.

Edited by Fattony