Dublin port, could we do this-- cab to port gate to take Luas?

Hi all

We be in Dublin May 4 & 5 and will be DIYing. I have read that Princess will charge $8 each way to use their shuttle into town. I know we can get a cab into town also.

For what we are planning to do, the Luas would work a lot better. I know that The Point is the closest stop to the port, but depending on where the ship berths, it can be a relatively short to sort of long walk thru the port. And that may not be desirable for a number of reasons.

My question is--could we take a cab just to the port gate if we are berthed further away? I read that this walk could be as much as a mile or so. I am thinking we could be dropped off on the port side (inside) of the gate, then let the cab turn around and go back to the ship. Then we could cross the street to the Luas station.

Anyone know if this would work? Would cab drivers refuse to take us just to the gate? Are there rules against this?

We don't need a cab all the way into the city, but could do that and then use the Luas if we had to. For the price of the Princess shuttle, a cab would be faster.

Thanks

ML

Last year, Princess said that they were going to charge for the shuttles too, but they ended up being free. I believe it may have been the port that provided them?

Anyway, since there were free shuttles, taxis didn't really come to the port at all. (Though they would take people back.)

Last year, Princess said that they were going to charge for the shuttles too, but they ended up being free. I believe it may have been the port that provided them?

Anyway, since there were free shuttles, taxis didn't really come to the port at all. (Though they would take people back.)

That's very interesting, thanks. Princess seems to be all over the place on these shuttles. Lots of people reporting it costs $8 each way, some say free. I guess we'll find out when we get there.

If there aren't any cabs, we won't have to worry about getting one to the port gate :D