Change in Name Question??

you are likely not going to have time to change over all your IDs after you get married/before you leave, so to avoid any confusion, I'd use your maiden name. I know you mean though... i will be honeymooning on the NCL jewel & won't be able to use my new name either...

I agree with the others--use your maiden name.

If you're planning your honeymoon for some time after your actual ceremony, like weeks or months, then you could have time to change your IDs and use your new name. But if you're leaving right after the ceremony (as most newlyweds do), you need to use your maiden name.

Best wishes and happy planning! :D

Ive been married for 7 years - changed my name long ago, but haven't yet changed my passport. I just carry an official copy of my marriage certificate along with my passport and drivers license. Haven't had any trouble in Europe or the Caribbean.

unfortunately, now they require you to mail both your passport and your marriage license to a government office in South Carolina, along with a fee. Chicago's postal system is not terribly reliable. I will probably just pretend I lost mine and get a brand new one using other documents. I just feel more secure that way. Hate for some one to get their hands on my old or new documents with identity theft being so rampant now.

Just to clear up, there is NO FEE to amend your name in your passport unless you use the expedited service.

I too just got back from my honeymoon. As much as I wanted to use my new name, I had to travel under my maiden name because we left the Monday after the wedding and that didn't leave time for me to go to the MVA to get a new photo ID.

Congrats and have fun!!!

My apologies, I was attempting to use the expidited service, and there is a fee for that only. - but at least here in Chicago, we can not make any changes to our passports without mailing all documents away to an office in SC. Maybe procedure is different in different states? Or maybe the folks at my post office are on crack. Wouldn't rule it out...

Archived