Oceania Sirena 35 Day Cruise Dec. 16, 2017 to Jan. 20, 2018

HamiltonLovebirds

This was our first cruise with Oceania, ship Sirena, for 35 days, 2017-2018. Picked this cruise line to experience a smaller passenger venue and interesting itinerary.

Before the cruise, we stayed at the Best Western Bayside Inn in San Diego, very close to the ship terminal. This hotel picked you up at the airport and also took you to the cruise terminal. Bonus! Staff was very friendly and helpful. Room was very clean and more than adequate for a stop over. Bought our bottles of wine for our ship cabin at a new store called, Roma, a short walk away. It is an Italian deli style atmosphere so you could buy a meal, drinks or snacks if desired.

Embarkation was painless, efficient and welcoming. Cabin 6016 was nicely appointed, plenty of closet, drawers and bathroom shelf space. Used fabric packing cases for the first time and they measured 9"wide x 12"long x 4" deep (could be 2" longer if you want) and they fit right into the drawers for easy access, also for final packing. In the beginning, we had A/C issues which were taken care of immediately. Our only complaint was the swaying of the ship which could really be felt. It took a little bit of time to adjust to the motion. We were not overly impressed with the food but you could always find something to eat. On the other hand, other passengers were very pleased with the cuisine. One thing that stands out for me, on two occasions, the lobster and shrimp were mushy to the taste in the Grand Dining Room. I had a better cooked lobster and shrimp at the Terrace Buffet. A special thanks to Uptal and Rangit for their expert cooking of it. We appreciated the Terrace Cafe Buffet method of serving food. All food was served by staff to avoid cross contamination. Kudos to the person who had that idea! Also, if you wanted to eat outdoors, there was a very nice area outside the dining room on the back deck.

Tours? We did it ourselves.

For our first stop, it was Puerto Vallarta, Mexico. Since we had vacationed here before, we got off the ship, approached the local tourist information booth at the bottom of the gang plank and asked questions. The artesian's market nearby was our focus, no lengthy tours. There is a shuttle that transports you, for free, to the market. Just ask the representative for directions. Across the road from the terminal is a Walmart, Sam's and a huge shopping mall. We replenished our room wine supplies and picked up some mosquito repellent and other toiletries. Beautiful Chilean and Argentinian red wine cost $6.00 to $8.00 U.S. a bottle.

I booked one city tour in Nicaragua with "Julio Tours Nicaragua." I did so on line. No money up front, to be paid after the tour. For a van, it was $60.00 U.S. per person for a city tour of the colonial city of Leon. Refer to his web site for details as prices will fluctuate over time.

-Entertainment was okay. Some shows were better than others. Overall, we had a good time because the Oceania staff were exceptional and we met a lot of fun people to tour with. A special thanks to Nancy and Cal from California, John and Denise from Barrie, Ontario, Margaret and Mesfin from Geneva, Joy and Mike from Callander, Ontario and Kevin and Margaret from New Zealand for helping to create beautiful memories.

Pros:

-nice cabins-plenty of storage space-toiletries-outstanding Maid-Veronika and Cabin Stewart-Wayans who anticipated our every need-example:wine glasses for our room

-food is okay-Terrace Buffet offers enough variety that you can find something to eat, lobster and shrimp almost every night was a real treat

-Staff serving you in the Terrace Buffet eliminates cross contamination and food waste, food was served hot as well

-service is excellent by all waiters on board-a special thank you to the Terrace Cafe staff where we ate the most-Dianne, Shane, Mary Jane, Joy, Sue, Alina, Jimmy, Juan, Uptal, Rangit, Yusseff, tall Milos, Ariel, Erik, Louisa, Maritisa just to name a few.

-very interesting itinerary for the 35 days, enjoyed the sea days to recuperate after touring

-shuttle bus almost at every port to transport you to the terminal, city central or artesan market

-being able to bring wine on board for your cabin was a bonus-check out Puerto Vallarta's Walmart for great wine prices (no problem bringing "large" amounts on board) and beautiful, reasonably priced t-shirts-also purchased some reasonably priced, beaded, local crafted jewelry and colourful cotton pants at the Artesan market near the pier

-excellent library facilities-no need to bring reading material

-extra curricular activities during sea days if you wished to participate-Bingo, Bridge, Trivial Pursuit, Needlepoint, cake decorating, Ping Pong, Shuffleboard, Golf Putting, Bean Bag Toss, Canasta, Mah Jongg, Country Line Dancing etc.

-live music playing everywhere on the ship at different times

-4:00 pm. Horizon Tea Time is very elegantly served with a music ensemble

-embarkation and disembarkation were very efficient and easy

-thoroughly enjoyed the food and service at the Tuscan Steak Specialty Restaurant.

-very clean ship in all areas

-port side cabin seemed to be the best when docked for viewing and shade on the balcony

-issue with A/C at the beginning of our voyage. The repairman was prompt and addressed the problem efficiently

Cons:

-a big concern for people who suffer from seasickness-totally unexpected was the extremes of ship motion especially on the ocean segment and I don't get seasick-may have to insist on mid-ship cabin to avoid most of the turbulence

-tours were outrageously expensive that were offered by the ship-arranged our own with local guides and with another couple on board for safety-see my descriptions of different tours,especially Manaus.

-very few port talks about what to see outside the ship tours to familiarize yourself for independent exploring-ship information was dated and tourist bureaus at each port were overrun with passengers and English was limited-suggest you do your own research of each place prior to the cruise so independent touring is easier

-beware of a ship doctor visit-could cost as much as the cruise itself-LOL-**take your own cold/cough medication, Cipro antibiotic, seasickness prevention etc.

-Destination Desk staff were very aloof and not very helpful especially in regards to ship to shore help at the end of the voyage. $519.00 US for a van to take you to your hotel is unreasonable to ask. No guidance was given regarding reliable taxis to take. Fortunately, we found our own gypsy cab outside the cruise terminal, very reasonable, took U.S. money, $80.00 to Copacabana Beach, Golden Tulip Hotel Rio Leme Hotel (see review), good, safe driver, father and son enterprise, great help with our heavy suitcases, "Nascimento Tour"

cell: (55+21) 99701-2813

97058-8820

-regular taxis wanted $100.00 U.S.

-did not enjoy the Red Ginger Specialty Restaurant. Service was excellent but the spice cilantro, garlic were used heavily in everything you ordered. You have to like those spices.

-stores on board were lacking in variety-overkill with jewelry promotions

-passengers were mainly very elderly people who did not appear happy for the most part-if you laughed at meals you received disapproving stares from the old folk around you-we are seniors but I felt overwhelmed by the sad, older people on board, on the other hand, no children aboard, fortunately we found like-minded people to party with.

-"free" internet was very spotty and you kept losing connection

Thanks for this review. I was at this cruise and I have also documented my experiences.

It is interesting to see how different people experience the same cruise.

For example Red Ginger... it was our favorite. You are right, if you eat at an Asian style restaurant, you have to like cilantro and garlic because they are main ingredients in Asian cuisine.

Ivi

Edited by travelberlin

Thanks, Ivi

I haven't posted in a long time and just realized I submitted my impressions in the wrong place. It should have gone under a "Review." I am glad you had a good time too. We are looking forward to a Scenic river cruise in September. Less people again which was the beauty of Oceania.