Buying Paintings in Havana?

Fogfog

There is a great market in Havana.... San Jose craft market.

It had a fire recently and is closed down for a short time, but will open soon, we’re told.

We bought some great paintings and wooden figures there.... well worth a trip.

You find quality original paintings at the studio of the artist. The shops and the Almacenes market mostly have stock paintings of the classic cars (and recently the quality of even those has suffered, as it seems everyone's tia and abuela has begun "painting" to make a tourist buck) and some poor quality "original" art. There are a couple of print making studios in the Havana Vieja neighborhood that have some interesting stuff, not cheap, but you can also watch prints being made if any artists are there. The sales people are very knowledgable about the individual artists in the gallery. And a high end craft store there too. There are a lot of low quality crafts for sale all over the touristy neighborhoods.

• 2 weeks later...
I totally disagree. I've been to Havana 4 times in the past two years and the art at the Almacenes has plenty of quality original content.

Having spent several hours walking the maze of art works at Almacenes there was a lot of original talent on display amid some works clearly developed as tourist souvenirs.

However, while this market is being rebuilt, I suggest a visit to Taller experimental de Grafica which is at the end of Callejon del Chorro (just off Plaza de la Catedral in Habana Vieja). You can talk to and watch artists at work - it's mostly prints which are available but the quality and range are outstanding.

Many art galleries are close to the port terminal and adresses are found here: http://www.lahabana.com/guide/havana-guide-home/arts-culture/arts-galleries/

I totally disagree. I've been to Havana 4 times in the past two years and the art at the Almacenes has plenty of quality original content.

People have varied taste in art, varying levels of art education, and varying levels of tolerance for what they wish to view on their walls on a daily basis. After all, the most famous Cuban painter said "All art is tragedy. For me, painting is a torment." Not sure I'd want to live with the output of that thinking every day, even if I could afford to. LOL

I myself , not a one time traveler to Cuba either, did not appreciate any of the paintings I saw at Almacenes or most small shops enough to invest, although my mechanic was thrilled with his presents of classic car paintings for his office. YMMV

I do think the Taller mentioned, and one other on a back street in Vieja, had some good quality works. The prices were first world, though. There are also a couple of good quality craft (ceramic, photos, wood, jewelry, sculpture, etc) stores in Vieja. I have also started to visit some artists in their studios to get a better idea of the Cuban art world currently, particularly in Havana.

I hope you enjoy your painting(s).

• 2 weeks later...

Here is one I just bought in May of this year.

IMG_0072_1.jpg

Cool piece! Curious how you got this home?