Wi-fi Calling on Volendam/Alaska

Vandrabrud

I am trying to understand what my on-board options are for contacting my family. I just found out that internet packages on Volendam have changed to daily or weekly rates. One plan is for social media, one internet and one for streaming. Has anyone been able to use wi-fi for wi-fi calling and texting?

I can't find anyone who seems to understand how everything works.

Also, have you sent or received texts using the ship's maritime cellular service?

TIA for sharing any personal experience.

I'm on Volendam right now and purchased the plan for 500mb per day. I have been able to connect to my work VPN without (to rdp into our servers) issue but have had some timeouts getting my work email (which is mac based). Gmail and hangouts work fine but haven't tested any audio or video calling yet (might try tonight).

I avoid using the ship cellular but I believe I received a text message before we were in port yesterday (I dont get a lot of texts).

Sent from my SM-G935W8 using Forums mobile app

Thanks!

How is the weather?

Grey and rainy. We sailed Glacier Bay today and while the glaciers were visible the mountains were shrouded. The park ranger tried to put a positive spin on it by calling the clouds ethereal.20180513_110746.thumb.jpg.91bb8ccbf45a71c4d76249288b602740.jpg

Sent from my SM-G935W8 using Forums mobile app

Saw your question over on the RS forums. If you can wait until you are in port, back in 2006 we had Verizon coverage in Juneau and Ketchikan, on our Alaska cruise. I called a friend from Juneau and it cost me nothing. We had a Skagway port stop, but cannot recall if we had Verizon coverage or roaming there.