Douglas, isle of man questions

Our ship will be making a port stop in July, on a Sunday. We would like to ride the railway, but can't decide which direction to take, Port Erin or Ramsey. I know that one is steam and one is electric. We're not railroad buffs, but just want to see more of the island, so the type of train isn't important.

Can anyone please tell me something about one or both trips that would help me choose? We will be in port long enough to do both, but not sure that we necessarily will want to spend our entire time on the train.

• 2 months later...

Hope this is not too late for you.

The electric tram leaves the north end of Douglas Promenade to Laxey and onwards to Ramsey - this trip has some lovely views. In Laxey you can visit the Lady Isabella - the old waterwheel which used to pump water from the old lead mines. Also in Laxey you can transfer to a Snaefell Summit tram, the views from the top of our only official mountain are spectacular, but you really need a fine day to get the most of the views.

The Steam Railway leaves from North Quay in Douglas and goes to Castletown, where you can visit the medieval Castle Rushen (10/15 minutes stroll from the Station). The train also goes onto Port Erin, which has a beautiful sandy beach.

Here is a link to information you might find useful.

https://www.visitisleofman.com

Feel free to ask any questions you have and I will do my best to answer them for you - I have lived on the Isle of Man all of my life.

Have a wonderful cruise.

Edited by TriciaCC
Spelling

Thank you! I had given up on hearing from anyone on this. And you're not too late. We leave in a couple of weeks. I appreciate the information. Sounds like we might need to just buy an all day ticket and ride the train in both directions!;p

• 2 weeks later...
Hope this is not too late for you.

The electric tram leaves the north end of Douglas Promenade to Laxey and onwards to Ramsey - this trip has some lovely views. In Laxey you can visit the Lady Isabella - the old waterwheel which used to pump water from the old lead mines. Also in Laxey you can transfer to a Snaefell Summit tram, the views from the top of our only official mountain are spectacular, but you really need a fine day to get the most of the views.

The Steam Railway leaves from North Quay in Douglas and goes to Castletown, where you can visit the medieval Castle Rushen (10/15 minutes stroll from the Station). The train also goes onto Port Erin, which has a beautiful sandy beach.

Here is a link to information you might find useful.

https://www.visitisleofman.com

Feel free to ask any questions you have and I will do my best to answer them for you - I have lived on the Isle of Man all of my life.

Have a wonderful cruise.

Tricia,

We are on the same cruise as pickypicky and we were thinking of taking the Steam Railway south to Port Erin. Can you please tell me if the Steam Railway Station is walking distance from where we will tender ashore? Also, if we were to get off for a stop in Santon how far would the station be from Murrays Motorcycles Museum and if it is not walking distance, would there be some form of public transportation available (bus, taxi, etc.)? Thanks for sharing your knowledge.

Diane