New Question for Diving in Belize

I posted a question about diving in Belize using the Carnival excursion. I appreciate all those who answered. I just have a new question. My wife is not a trememdous fan of Belize, however she does want to get off the ship after I come back from diving and walk around the port for a bit. My question is after the dive and we come back to the ship, do we have enough time to get to the port wander, shop and get back on onboard? I figured when I get back to the ship from diving, just meet her and try to get next tender out or is this out of the question? Also the tour is supposd to last for four hours. Does the operator get you back w/in the four hours or did it take longer? thanks for the info

I posted a question about diving in Belize using the Carnival excursion. I appreciate all those who answered. I just have a new question. My wife is not a trememdous fan of Belize, however she does want to get off the ship after I come back from diving and walk around the port for a bit. My question is after the dive and we come back to the ship, do we have enough time to get to the port wander, shop and get back on onboard? I figured when I get back to the ship from diving, just meet her and try to get next tender out or is this out of the question? Also the tour is supposd to last for four hours. Does the operator get you back w/in the four hours or did it take longer? thanks for the info

We did the Belize ship booked dive on the Valor, which is the ship I assume you will be on, and NO you will not have time. The dive, boat rides, stop at the shop/private island and check in/check out time took the entire time. There is not much to see at the port either since they recommend you don't leave the port area.

I want to thank you for answering. YES I will be on the Valor. You are thefirst personto say this. So I guess I am surprised to learn of this. Am I wrong in assuming that they do get you back on board before the ship leaves, right? Also here is something for you. I'm up in the air about doing this dive. I have read on some other SCUBA boards that diving in Belize using a ship excursion is not really worth it. I have read that the better places to dive in Belize are to far out from the cruise ship. So my question becomes did you think diving in Belize was worth it or not? I know I am asking for your opinion, but I have not read to many people who dove using the Carnival excursion say if it was worth it or not. I was just looking for an opinion on whether to do it or try to dive elsewhere? I know every diver is different and every experience is different, just would like to hear if you think it was worth it or was it a waste of time. Was operator good, was it alot of people diving, Say more then 20-30? Thank you for your opinion and advice

I want to thank you for answering. YES I will be on the Valor. You are thefirst personto say this. So I guess I am surprised to learn of this. Am I wrong in assuming that they do get you back on board before the ship leaves, right? Also here is something for you. I'm up in the air about doing this dive. I have read on some other SCUBA boards that diving in Belize using a ship excursion is not really worth it. I have read that the better places to dive in Belize are to far out from the cruise ship. So my question becomes did you think diving in Belize was worth it or not? I know I am asking for your opinion, but I have not read to many people who dove using the Carnival excursion say if it was worth it or not. I was just looking for an opinion on whether to do it or try to dive elsewhere? I know every diver is different and every experience is different, just would like to hear if you think it was worth it or was it a waste of time. Was operator good, was it alot of people diving, Say more then 20-30? Thank you for your opinion and advice

We got back on the ship as the last tender boats were coming up, about 45 mins before we were scheduled to leave. We were very satisfied with Hugh Parkley (sp?). They broke us into 2 groups of 8. The dive was good, I wouldn't say great, with vis about 60-70 ft. The price was high, about $165 pp. That is the only diving we have done at Belize. I am sure there is better diving there than what we did there. I am not interested in doing it again with the ship, maybe through someone else. Your best diving on this ship inteneray is at Coz and Roatan IMHO. Don't use the ship with Coz. We always book out own there, but we heard from some of the other divers on our ship who had a bad time. Roatan was great, some of the BEST we have every done. The ship's dive op, Anthony Keys was great. Roatan and Belize is the only ports we used the ship's dive op. Normally we always book our own. We didn't dive GC but will on our next cruise. So if you want a ranking of which ports to dive based on dive ops, quality of dive and price, I would rank them Roatan, Coz-GC, and last Belize.

Again I want to thank you. I was surprised that you responded so quickly. I am diving in Roatan using Anthony's Key, and like you, alot of people have said that diving in Belize is ok rather then great, or shouldn't be missed. I think I might give up on the Belize diving and maybe book in Cozumel. I like using the ship's operator only because of the piece of mind it brings, plus less logisitics I would have to work out. So I am not to worried about the cost of it. Could I probably do it fo less, YES. Just like it for the ease of it.

As far as Anthony's Key is concerned, do they take the entire time in port of is it alot better then Belize. I would like to walk around the port w/ my wife. Thanks you again

Have to agree diving with the ship in Belize was less than spectacular. We have sailed on the Legend twice. The first time we dove GC, Coz, Belize and Costa Maya. GC, Coz and Costa Maya were outstanding although the diving in Costa Maya was less spectacular than than the other 2 places. We dove with the ship both times in Belize. Our last trip we did not dive in Belize. Turneffe Atol simply put is not very impressive. Plan a dive trip to Belize so you can take advantage of the good dive sites.

Again I want to thank you. I was surprised that you responded so quickly. I am diving in Roatan using Anthony's Key, and like you, alot of people have said that diving in Belize is ok rather then great, or shouldn't be missed. I think I might give up on the Belize diving and maybe book in Cozumel. I like using the ship's operator only because of the piece of mind it brings, plus less logisitics I would have to work out. So I am not to worried about the cost of it. Could I probably do it fo less, YES. Just like it for the ease of it.

As far as Anthony's Key is concerned, do they take the entire time in port of is it alot better then Belize. I would like to walk around the port w/ my wife. Thanks you again

I think that Roatan was our shortest port time and we got there very early for Roatan time, like 0600 or 0500. Yes AK does use most of the port time, but it was some of the best diving we have ever done. You can save some time and money by booking it your own, but, if you prefer to use the ship, AK is a good choice. There have been some improvements since our last visit, both with AK and the port. AK has a nice resort and there is now a new port facility. I think you will have a good time.

WOW here I was wondering if you would read my question about Honduras and then I see you answered. You must be psychic. Anyway so even in Roatan it takes longer then the 4 hours it is slotted. We arrive in Roatan at 12 diving is 1215-415 and we(Valor)leaves at 7. So you are saying diving in Roatan we will be back before 7 but not before 415pm? Is that right or did I misunderstand. If you happen to remember can you let me know about what time did you leave and what time did you get back? Thank you again

WOW here I was wondering if you would read my question about Honduras and then I see you answered. You must be psychic. Anyway so even in Roatan it takes longer then the 4 hours it is slotted. We arrive in Roatan at 12 diving is 1215-415 and we(Valor)leaves at 7. So you are saying diving in Roatan we will be back before 7 but not before 415pm? Is that right or did I misunderstand. If you happen to remember can you let me know about what time did you leave and what time did you get back? Thank you again

We arrived in the morning v. at noon. That may make a difference. I would say that is correct. It will take longer than 4 hours but before 7. If you are going to their resort, the diving is very close to the dock, less than a 10 min boat ride. They will bring you back to the dock for your si time and then back out again. Of course they want you to visit their souvenir shop while you are there so that will take some time. We had a good time.:)

THANK YOU for your help in this matter. You have really helped alot.

You are welcome. We are going back in Oct so let me know how it went. We have a group going to Foster resort for the day to use their beach and facilities. DW and I plan on using their in-house dive op to get in a dive or 2 while there. I can't wait to be diving at Roatan again!

Archived