Med with Sirena.....how would you rate it?

horatio123

We are eyeing a 10 day around Italy in Sept. 2019. Have never ever done a med cruise but know we would like multiple Italy ports...Amalfi for sure. reviews on this site are all over the place. Your experience? Is it really that rocky as it is small?

We’ve done several Med cruises in R class sized boats. Generally the Med is pretty calm, but occasionally it can have a squall that rocks the ship, but in the summer months they are rare. The R ships are fine in the Med. With the smaller boats you get into ports that the big ships don’t get into and there are several of these on the cruise you propose. Each port is different and you are going to our favourite two, Venice and Portafino. The sail out of Venice will be one of your cruising highlights, it is just wonderful. Finishing in Monte is another treat, go for it, you won’t regret it

It is my favourite itinerary for Sept. next year for sure...trying to figure out the CAD cost is tricky with Olife and what not. For many of these ports would you need itineraries or are they such that wandering around the towns is perfect? Would not want to compromise the experience though.

Again, stability is my concern some..never ocean cruised.

Venice and Portofino we just walk around, the back streets of Venice are wonderful. At Portofino, you will tender into St Margerita, which is a lovely little town and then you take the water bus to Portofino.

The first three Italian ports after Venice, I have never been to, so not sure, but generally Italian towns have a lot of character. Taormina you may need to take a trip to get to, unless they provide a shuttle, as the town is high above the shore on a hill. If you haven't been to Rome, then you'll have to buy a tour, either with O or one of the well known private operators, you can't not go to Rome ;) Amalfi will probably need a tour to see the best of it. I'm sure others with more knowledge will chime in soon

I've done two different Med cruises on Sirena in the past couple of years. I am NOT a good sailor but I always take meds and unless you hit a patch of bad weather you should be fine. One note of caution - a lot of the smaller Italian ports (and Med ports in general) are tender ports and the tender to and from the ship can be VERY bumpy especially if there is a lot of sea traffic. The tender back from Sorrento last year was truly hideous; others have been like gliding over glass, you just never know. Sirena is a lovely ship, the Italian coast is gorgeous. Go prepared and have a lovely time.