Msc Fantasia - travelling with a toddler

SAmamma

Hello All,

We will be cruising onboard Fantasia doing the Med, our first time with MSC.

MSC looked very child friendly which motivated us to book with them.

Any tips appreciated from other cruises who have travelled with a nearly 3 year old?

Thank you in advance.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

• 2 weeks later...

What time of year will you be travelling?

I took my daughter for the first time at 3, then 5 and this year she will be 8.

She has loved all of the cruises so far.

There is so much to do and see.

Kids club we were nervous about (we were on NCL when she was 3) but we went along for the "open" hour after a tour through it and all of the security etc we were satisfied. We left her for just half an hour the first time, paid for a phone so they could always contact us onboard anywhere, and popped back to see her - by then she was in full playtime!

We never left her for more than a couple of hours so she was never bored and always had to be prised back out!

We stuck to her normal daily routine and figured out all of our excursions around her normal (as possible) nap and dinner times.

This did mean we didnt do many ship planned excursions - we mostly did our own. We were in the Haven so we didnt worry about seating times but were always in for dinner at our normal time.

We chose to just get off the boat with her buggy and go for strolls along the ports, take her for a short paddle on the nearby beaches (those we walked to) and the one big excursion we did was we took a train to Rome. We just walked ot the train station with her in her buggy and then spend 2.5hrs tootling around the colisseum and forum then took the train back. She slept on the train in and out and then again back on the boat for late lunch etc.

Make sure your buggy has a sun screen thing - you can pull in front to provide mobile shade and carry the usual mum supplies - with loads of water/sun cream etc etc.

Thanks so much for the feedback, really appreciate it. We are traveling beginning October and we think we'll just go with the flow. Hubby and I have cruised before and did this Mediterranean itinerary and most of the excursions, so we don't mind not going on them. Just would be nice to have the pictures with Her in them. Did you find Rome difficult to manoeuvre with the stroller? I'm a bit anxious of blocking people[emoji23] Our Daughter will be 2 years and 10 months and I don't think She will be able to go to the kids club that starts from 3 years of age. Really looking forward to making memories and enjoying some family time.

Hi there, Rome was a bit bouncy!...lucky the stroller had quitte rugged thick wheels! All of the bouncing seemed to send her to sleep more than anything else though!

We were there in Sept and it was busy but not so busy that we ever felt in anyone's way and there were lots of other parents doing the same thing.

We took a picnic with us to Rome and ate it in the forum I seem to remember. It was very hot there (not a lot of cover) so remember some hates etc for yourselves. My daughter was sorted, whilst we cooked a little!

The train was a breeze to Rome.

Aah that's brilliant, thanks a million! I think we'll definitely go ashore in Rome now. How far from the port is the train station if I may ask? There is a bus into Rome but it is 1.5 hours long and I think She would get very bored.

Just remembered we also took a taxi (not booked )from the ship to Herculaneum with the stroller folded in the back. We spent an hour or so there before returning.

We bounced her around there too...she was quite interested in the mosaics etc...and there was ice lollies to keep her cool and occupied (from the site shop!)

It was a few years ago now but I remember we just walked to the train station. I cant remember if we got a bus from the ship to the port entrance or whether we just walked (perhaps someone else has more up to date info?)

We had followed a reviewers instructions - there was a post with photos showing the landmarks - but it wasn't too hard just a couple of blocks walk to find it.

We made sure to leave Rome with numerous hours to spare just in case the public transport failed and we had to resort to a later train or indeed calling a taxi. Think we left after lunch, to be honest we had had enough by then (whilst there is loads more to do etc) I was happy to get her back for her afternoon nap!

• 1 year later...
It was a few years ago now but I remember we just walked to the train station. I cant remember if we got a bus from the ship to the port entrance or whether we just walked (perhaps someone else has more up to date info?)

We had followed a reviewers instructions - there was a post with photos showing the landmarks - but it wasn't too hard just a couple of blocks walk to find it.

We made sure to leave Rome with numerous hours to spare just in case the public transport failed and we had to resort to a later train or indeed calling a taxi. Think we left after lunch, to be honest we had had enough by then (whilst there is loads more to do etc) I was happy to get her back for her afternoon nap!

hi!

I’m really enjoying the information you’re giving. Can you tell

Me what time you left the ship to get the train into Rome? It’s exactly what I want to do and just see the coliseum and have a some lunch - then back to the ship.